MLB Chatter Thread

Tony D

DCC 4Life
So? Who gives a shit?

We're not allowed to watch to see who would end up ahead of the other because they played in different leagues?
Ha, whatever. Nobody gave a shit who led all of baseball in batting average back then. It was never discussed. Two different leagues, different pitchers, different ballparks, different umpires, etc. Hell, even different strike zones back then. Nobody except for you that is.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Rosenthal says Cards shouldn't overpay by sending Taveras to Rays for Price. Thought that was a given that he would be included for a trade for an ace but now its an overpay?

D

Deuce

Rosenthal says Cards shouldn't overpay by sending Taveras to Rays for Price. Thought that was a given that he would be included for a trade for an ace but now its an overpay?
Then they can go F themselves. Cards want an Ace? It starts with Taveras and Wong.

Rev

Staff member
Let's get this thread back on track.

The Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread.

15 hits so far in AA. 7 Home runs. Yeah. Just keep that ratio of home runs. That's not too much to ask.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Kris Bryant hit a granny at AAA yesterday. Still dominating whatever level of competition in which he happens to be playing.

Somehow Jake Arrieta is dominating the league right now. He's absolutely on fire and is pitching like an ace lately. Don't know if he's just in the middle of a really locked-in hot streak or if he's figured something out. Control has always been his biggest problem but he hasn't had that issue in his past several starts, where he has been striking out 10 or so and generally blowing away whoever he's facing. If he even turns into a reliable #3 starter that's a huge boon for the Cubs, who got him and Pedro Strop for Scott Feldman. Lulz.

D

Deuce

Rays sign 16 y/o SS Adrian Rondon, #1 international prospect.

See you in about 5 years. :sad

Rev

Staff member
Rays sign 16 y/o SS Adrian Rondon, #1 international prospect.

See you in about 5 years. :sad
Could be 3 (September callup) if he progresses like Profar.

D

Deuce

After a sweep in NY and winning 7 of their last 10, the last place Rays are only 9.5 games out of 1st. This could put a damper in my firesale plans.

Rev

Staff member
After a sweep in NY and winning 7 of their last 10, the last place Rays are only 9.5 games out of 1st. This could put a damper in my firesale plans.
Lol. Hot streaks are tricky right before the break for teams in our situations.

D

Deuce

@Ken_Rosenthal: #Cubs in serious talks with #Athletics on big trade, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. If completed, Hammel and/or Samardzija would go to A’s.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
A's add Samardzija in blockbuster deal with Cubs
Hammel also going to Oakland; Russell, Straily, McKinney headed to Chicago

By Phil Rogers / MLB.com | 7/4/2014 11:29 P.M. ET

Trading season is opening with a blockbuster that strengthens the A's as favorites to win the American League and adds to the Cubs' inventory of outstanding position-player prospects.

MLB.com confirmed reports that the Cubs are trading right-handers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to Oakland for a package of players headed by shortstop Addison Russell, who has advanced to Double-A at age 20 and is ranked No. 11 among MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects.

The Cubs also would receive right-hander Dan Straily and 19-year-old outfielder Billy McKinney.

Neither club has confirmed the trade that was first reported by FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.

Samardzija has been one of the National League's top starters this season, compiling a 2.83 ERA in 17 starts. He had only two wins, however, and the lack of support may have played a role in his recently declining the Cubs' efforts to extend his contract. He will be under the A's control through 2015 and it seems unlikely that they would be able to extend his contract, given their historically limited payrolls.

Hammel, signed to a one-year contract as a free agent, has been a revelation this season. He's 8-5 with a 2.98 ERA. He was the winning pitcher for the Cubs on Friday in Washington and complained afterward that manager Rick Renteria lifted him after only 92 pitches. The Cubs have paid close attention to pitch counts for both Samardzija and Hammel, anticipating the chance that they could deal them.

The acquisition of Russell is interesting as the Cubs are already deep in middle-infield prospects. Shortstop Javier Baez hit 37 homers between Class A Advanced and Double-A last season and is currently at Triple-A, playing alongside second baseman Arismendy Alcantara, who is pushing for a spot in the big leagues.

Russell has battled hamstring injuries this year. He was sidelined in Spring Training and then again after the second game of the season but recently was promoted to Double-A Midland, where he has hit .333 with a .939 OPS and three stolen bases in 13 games.

The Cubs may consider dealing Major League shortstop Starlin Castro, who is an All-Star candidate after hitting .290 with 11 home runs and 50 RBIs. Along with first baseman Anthony Rizzo, he is the only Cubs player signed to a long-term contract, but the young infielders seem to make him expendable.

The emergence of right-hander Jake Arrieta may have made Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer more willing to deal Samardzija. But the Cubs still face long-term questions about building a supply of pitchers to work in front of the young lineups they will feature in upcoming seasons.

Phil Rogers is a columnist for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
---------------------------------------
Wow. Got serious talent back. Russell is a legit stud of a prospect & McKinney is a very good one. I think of Straily as more than just a throw-in too. Had his problems this year but is only 25 & has shown real promise at the MLB level.

Lotta young SS talent in the organization now. Probably sets up a future deal. Baez or Reed to NYM for Syndergaard? That's just my own wild speculation, but I have to imagine they'll be looking for some sort of deal like that for a top pitching prospect (or could be Castro that gets moved, as the article suggests).

Regardless of what may happen in the future, right now the Cubs are absolutely loaded with position player prospects. Baez, Bryant, & Russell are all top 10 prospects on most lists (Baseball America's updated list is coming out next week). Guys like Alcantara, Almora, & Soler are top 50-100 prospects & CJ Edwards is too as a pitching prospect. The Cubs have a chance to really put something together as long as more of these guys pan out than not.

Also, total pimp move by Billy Beane. They need to get over the top and he got a couple of good starters. Taking Hammel off the market as well...wow. Lotta teams that weren't in on Samardzija or D. Price were looking at Hammel as a decent fallback option. Beane gave up big time prospects in this deal but he's going for it.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Rays have now won 10 of 12 and are officially in 4th place, only 8.5 out of first.

WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON AROUND HERE?!?!

Rev

Staff member
Rays have now won 10 of 12 and are officially in 4th place, only 8.5 out of first.

WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON AROUND HERE?!?!
I will start pulling for them again.

D

Deuce

I will start pulling for them again.
I hope it's not too late for your superpower to take hold of this situation. They had 19 hits last night. 19! They went entire 4 games series' this season without that many total.

Carp

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION]...I think there is a deal to be made, but not with Syndergaard. Although at this point I'd consider dealing just about anyone to shore up SS and get some offense.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION]...I think there is a deal to be made, but not with Syndergaard. Although at this point I'd consider dealing just about anyone to shore up SS and get some offense.
Yeah, probably not. That's more wishful thinking on my part, but Baez and Russell are top 10 prospects at a premium position so if they do move one of those guys I think it would have to be for a top SP prospect that projects as a front line starter.

Same for Castro. He is an established player at the position who is only 25 years old and under a pretty reasonable contract for the next several years. He had a terrible season last year but he has bounced back this year and is putting up really nice numbers in the middle of that shitty lineup. The more I've read the past couple days the more likely it is I think that they try to move him rather than Baez or Russell.

Whatever the case, the NYM seem like an ideal trade partner the way each team's strengths/needs match up.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, probably not. That's more wishful thinking on my part, but Baez and Russell are top 10 prospects at a premium position so if they do move one of those guys I think it would have to be for a top SP prospect that projects as a front line starter.

Same for Castro. He is an established player at the position who is only 25 years old and under a pretty reasonable contract for the next several years. He had a terrible season last year but he has bounced back this year and is putting up really nice numbers in the middle of that shitty lineup. The more I've read the past couple days the more likely it is I think that they try to move him rather than Baez or Russell.

Whatever the case, the NYM seem like an ideal trade partner the way each team's strengths/needs match up.
Wheeler is the one being talked about...and I selfishly want to keep him because he is really starting to pitch well. deGrom really is impressing me too...we have good young pitching, but we just can't get an offensive philosophy going...we want guys who work the count, but go after free swingers like Granderson and Young. Good thing though is that we have 2 positional guys in the top 50 prospects in Nimmo and Plawecki.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Wheeler is the one being talked about...and I selfishly want to keep him because he is really starting to pitch well. deGrom really is impressing me too...we have good young pitching, but we just can't get an offensive philosophy going...we want guys who work the count, but go after free swingers like Granderson and Young. Good thing though is that we have 2 positional guys in the top 50 prospects in Nimmo and Plawecki.
Well, Castro and Baez definitely don't work the count. Both guys are free swingers who don't take many walks, at least so far in their careers. They tried to turn Castro into a more patient, count-working hitter last year and it screwed him up to the point that he has an awful season. Baez is a guy who looks like he'll strike out 150+ times and maybe walk 40. Going to crush the ball though and his bat speed is considered the best in the minors, drawing comps to Gary Sheffield's bat speed in his prime.

We'll see. Wheeler is a very good young pitcher with pedigree who has had some control issues this year but has shown a lot of promise. If he ends up in a Cubs uniform for Castro (he's the one I'd like them to move, even though he's the only one who has proven anything at the MLB level at this point) I think I'd probably be good with it. I don't anticipate a move like this until the offseason I'm anticipating a lot of fun hot stove discussion material.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cubs on Baseball America's mid-season top 50 prospects list:

#2 Kris Bryant (3B) – Cubs: Power has been just as advertised, while his defense has been better than expected

#5 Addison Russell (SS) – Cubs: Missed half the year with a hamstring problem; remains an elite all-around shortstop prospect with his new team

#7 Javier Baez (SS) – Cubs: Long-term potential is still as an elite regular, but he has to moderate his swing-from-the-heels approach

#33 Arismendy Alcantara (2B) – Cubs: Hard not to like an athletic middle infielder who can play short in a pinch and has power and speed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

:towel

Everyone benefits a few spots because of recent promotions of top guys like Oscar Tavaras, Gregory Polanco, et. al, but this is great to see as a Cubs fan. They also have a few guys OF that would fall in the 51–100 range. Obviously not much in the way of starting pitching, but they'll acquire a few more good young arms via trade/draft/free agency over the next year or so. I just hope they can put it all together at some point because I've had just about enough of this basement dwellers shit.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/midseason-top-50-injury-cant-knock-buxton-1/

Top Bottom