Sources: Cowboys show interest in Weeden

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sources: Cowboys show interest in Weeden
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have expressed an interest in quarterback Brandon Weeden, according to sources.

Weeden
The Cleveland Browns released their 2012 first-round pick on Wednesday after he threw 23 touchdown passes and 26 interceptions with a 5-15 record as a starter in two seasons. Weeden, who turns 31 in October, threw for 5,116 yards, completing 438-of-784 passes.

The Cowboys have Kyle Orton as their backup to Tony Romo, and the Cowboys believe he will continue to play rather than retire with a $3.25 million base salary in 2014. If he retires, he would owe the Cowboys $3 million of the $5 million base salary he received in 2012. If he is cut, the Cowboys would save roughly $900,000 in cap space.

Orton turns 32 in November and is in the final year of his contract. After Romo went down in Week 16 with a back injury, Orton came off the bench for the 2013 season finale against the Philadelphia Eagles to throw for 358 yards and two touchdowns in the loss.

Weeden signed a four-year deal worth $8.1 million as the No. 22 pick in the first round two years ago. He is still owed more than $2 million in guaranteed money, but the Browns would only have to make up the difference if Weeden makes less from his new team.

It is possible the Cowboys could carry Romo, Orton and Weeden on the 53-man roster if they were to sign him.

The Cowboys have not carried a third quarterback on the roster since 2011 when they had Stephen McGee behind Romo and Jon Kitna. They had Alex Tanney on the practice squad for much of last season before losing him to the Browns, and re-signed Kitna for the final week of the season after Romo got hurt.

The Cowboys liked Weeden coming out of Oklahoma State. He set school records in yards and touchdowns in 2011 for the Cowboys after a short-lived career in professional baseball.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Cowboys liked Weeden coming out of Oklahoma State. He set school records in yards and touchdowns in 2011 for the Cowboys after a short-lived career in professional baseball.
Ummm...yeah. Never seen this before.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Wut?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:jerk

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Every time I refresh this site there's some bullshit like this
It's kind of frightening anymore.

~log on to Twitter~

~Read about your worst fucking Cowboys nightmare~

~log out~

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Dude.....

How the.....

Why would....

Ah fuck it.

:budd

jootep

Brand New Member
The plan is to beef him up and let Marinelli coach him up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Analyzing what a Weeden signing could mean

March, 14, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Judging from the reaction on Twitter to the Dallas Cowboys’ interest in Brandon Weeden, not many of you want to see the former Cleveland Browns quarterback with the Cowboys.

Let me offer up a way the addition of Weeden could make sense.

With Tony Romo, Kyle Orton and Weeden, the Cowboys would be set on the position for 2014 and it would probably take them out of picking a quarterback in the draft. The Cowboys liked Weeden coming out in 2012 but obviously not at the first-round level. He is older, but they viewed that as a positive and were not viewing him as a possible long-term replacement.

Things went poorly for Weeden in Cleveland. He deserves some blame, but the Browns deserve a lot of blame too. He had two different coaches, two different coordinators and the guy who selected him, Mike Holmgren, was gone too. So there is that to consider. A fresh start might serve him well and I’d have to think Jason Garrett would get a ready on Weeden from Norv Turner, who was his coordinator last year.

The Browns have been a place where every quarterback has gone to die, so taking a low-risk, low-cost flier on a quarterback you liked just two years ago makes some sense.

So let’s fast forward to training camp and the preseason. Let’s say another team loses a quarterback to injury and wants to find some veteran help. We can all assume that there won’t be a lot of quarterbacks available that can step in and play right away, right?

How high would a guy like Orton be on the list for a lot of teams? He threw for 358 yards and two touchdowns in his only start last year. He played extremely well in that loss; better than anybody ever expected.

If Weeden performs well enough (however you want to define that), then the Cowboys could feel comfortable in trading Orton to a team with a big need at quarterback and get a draft pick in return. Remember, this is Orton’s last year under contract. If the Cowboys trade Orton before the season starts, but after July 1, then they would gain $3.25 million in cap space in 2014.

Provided he does not retire, which would be unexpected, Orton is set to count $2.254 million in dead money against the cap because of the two voidable years remaining on his contract. So the Cowboys would gain cap space that they could use to roll over in 2015 and get a draft pick for a player they were not going to keep anyway.

Does that make you feel any better?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am struggling to feel how we could parlay Orton into a draft pick.

The way the situation has been painted, he wants to retire.

No, he doesn't want to start, he's not bitching about his lot in life which is taking Jerry's money better than any other backup in the league.

I would like to think Archer is smarter than something like this.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If Archers not on Jerry's payroll yet he should be if he's defending Weeden

and no I don't I don't feel better

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Archers not on Jerry's payroll yet he should be if he's defending Weeden

and no I don't I don't feel better
It is really weird, a lot of the media are getting more and more pro-Jerry. It is like pod people are taking over their bodies.

jootep

Brand New Member
Let me offer up a way the addition of Weeden could make sense.

With Tony Romo, Kyle Orton and Weeden, the Cowboys would be set on the position for 2014 and it would probably take them out of picking a quarterback in the draft.
In what fucking world is this supposed to be a positive?

Top Bottom