2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If they played in the SEC they would have played a tougher schedule and belonged in.

The Big 12 was down last year that's why they did not get in.
If they played in the SEC they would have played a "tougher schedule" against "ranked teams" and it would have been the same farce it always is.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If they played in the SEC they would have played a "tougher schedule" against "ranked teams" and it would have been the same farce it always is.
Doubtful. They'd either proven their mettle or suffered a couple losses and rightfully been on the outside looking in.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I know TCU is trying. Sometime in the next year or two they have schedules Ohio state in home and homes is what I remember reading.
They have a home and home with Arkansas over the next 2 years as well.

So yeah, they don't belong in the same conversation as Baylor, regarding soft non-conference schedules.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

So yeah, they don't belong in the same conversation as Baylor, regarding soft non-conference schedules.
Wonder if the Arkansas coach will make the same comments.

D

Deuce

I brought up TCU because their OOC schedule this year is cake and they weren't exactly impressive in their wins over the 2 D1 teams. SMU is not a good team and has been devoid of talent for a long time and then hung with them for most of the game.

But, their schedule isn't Baylor bad.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I brought up TCU because their OOC schedule this year is cake and they weren't exactly impressive in their wins over the 2 D1 teams. SMU is not a good team and has been devoid of talent for a long time and then hung with them for most of the game.

But, their schedule isn't Baylor bad.
I thought the match up with a Minnesota was decent scheduling. Minnesota has a decent program. They're a power 5 conference team who will probably win 7-9 games. I thought TCU's schedule falls right in line with the norm for scheduling.

Most teams play about 2 cupcake teams and 1 team from another power 5 conference slate. So I think TCU's schedule is acceptable.

I don't think they have to schedule a top 5 team like Alabama but if you're in Baylor's position I think there should at least be one game on their non-conference schedule against a team from a power 5 conference.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah, I think most teams schedule pretty soft non conference schedules. I'm an Iowa fan and as about as tough as we get is Pitt and Iowa State. Not exactly a murderers row. The problem with the SEC is it's basically a self fulfilling prophecy. You say they are the best conference, rank all the teams highly at the start of the year, and then when they have multiple teams with great resumes at the end of the year as a result you proclaim them the best conference again. So the following year you rank all of their teams highly and wash, rinse and repeat.

1bigfan13

Staff member
One last thing about Baylor.

Imagine the buzz and excitement that would be generated if a big name program rolled into Waco to play a game. Again, I'm not necessarily talking about an LSU/Alabama caliber opponent but a middle of the pack type of team that still has a pretty solid national following. Think Penn St. or Miami.

I think there would be a tremendous amount of local buzz for a matchup like that. Fans love when teams who they don't get a chance to see very often come to town.

So I'm not sure why Baylor has been hesitant to reward the fan base with sexier matchups.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Speaking of TCU. The butt rape of Tech is happening on Saturday.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
One last thing about Baylor.

Imagine the buzz and excitement that would be generated if a big name program rolled into Waco to play a game. Again, I'm not necessarily talking about an LSU/Alabama caliber opponent but a middle of the pack type of team that still has a pretty solid national following. Think Penn St. or Miami.

I think there would be a tremendous amount of local buzz for a matchup like that. Fans love when teams who they don't get a chance to see very often come to town.

So I'm not sure why Baylor has been hesitant to reward the fan base with sexier matchups.
Getting a willing participant for that game is harder than you'd think.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Speaking of TCU. The butt rape of Tech is happening on Saturday.
TCUs defense has lost a lot. They gave up 500 yards to SMU. You can't count Patterson out though. He's a damn good coach. It could be a fun game.

1bigfan13

Staff member
TCUs defense has lost a lot. They gave up 500 yards to SMU. You can't count Patterson out though. He's a damn good coach. It could be a fun game.
Obviously it's still early but Chard Morris has proven to be a great hire. Especially when you consider what SMU looked like last year (a complete joke) and that he's only 3 games into his head coaching.

Unfortunately for SMU I could see him having a couple of solid years of success at SMU then moving on to a better job.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Obviously it's still early but Chard Morris has proven to be a great hire. Especially when you consider what SMU looked like last year (a complete joke) and that he's only 3 games into his head coaching.

Unfortunately for SMU, I could see him having a couple of solid years of success at SMU then moving on to a better job.
Depends what he considers most important. If he turns that program around, they will pony up (:unsure) that oil money to keep him around.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Getting a willing participant for that game is harder than you'd think.
When I was living in Texas a Baylor fan told me that as well but I'm not sure I buy that.

I look around the college landscape and just about every team that's considered a top 50 program schedules game against other power 5 conference opponents on just about a yearly basis.

Maybe Baylor can't get a national power like USC to do a home and home with them but I refuse to believe that they're having problems scheduling matchups against the likes of Illinois.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Unfortunately for SMU, I could see him having a couple of solid years of success at SMU then moving on to a better job.
Yeah and the Davis kid is a player. SMU has began to look like a competitive team.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
When I was living in Texas a Baylor fan told me that as well but I'm not sure I buy that.

I look around the college landscape and just about every team that's considered a top 50 program schedules game against other power 5 conference opponents on just about a yearly basis.

Maybe Baylor can't get a national power like USC to do a home and home with them but I refuse to believe that they're having problems scheduling matchups against the likes of Illinois.
UTSA managed to schedule Arizona, K State, and Okie State just this season. Yet Baylor can't get that done? Yeah I'm calling BS on that too.

D

Deuce

UTSA managed to schedule Arizona, K State, and Okie State just this season. Yet Baylor can't get that done? Yeah I'm calling BS on that too.
Not a good comparison. Big teams are always willing to schedule the "easy" D1 wins and that's what UTSA looks like. The upper echelon of the mid-majors lots of times have trouble scheduling too because the P5 teams don't want a potential loss to a G5 team.

My guess with Baylor is they don't want to go anywhere for their OOC games. Even their roads games stay in state against lesser teams. I wonder how Briles would respond to a game in Oregon.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not a good comparison. Big teams are always willing to schedule the "easy" D1 wins and that's what UTSA looks like. The upper echelon of the mid-majors lots of times have trouble scheduling too because the P5 teams don't want a potential loss to a G5 team.

My guess with Baylor is they don't want to go anywhere for their OOC games. Even their roads games stay in state against lesser teams. I wonder how Briles would respond to a game in Oregon.
I think their strategy is "undefeated or nothing". They know they'll get a playoff bid at 12-0 so they try to take the easiest path to that record that they can instead of trying to bulk up their schedule and STILL be left out with one loss because of the lack of a conference championship game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Their offense is going to roll us. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they hung 70 on us.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Unfortunately for SMU I could see him having a couple of solid years of success at SMU then moving on to a better job.
I get what you are saying but SMU has been terrible. He didn't get it turned around to the point that he suddenly got 500 yards on one of the supposed best defenses. TCU is struggling a little on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom