Cowboys trade for Bills QB Matt Cassel

Carp

DCC 4Life
Name one team in the last 10 years that has spent a 5th round pick on a backup QB in a trade. Just one.
:lol

Someone already answered this, but continue carrying on.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Comical that a 5th is too much to give up for a back up QB. Teams commit finances and draft resources all the time to address the back up QB spot. Every team hopes they never have to call on the back up.
It comes down to whether he's that much, or any, better than one of the guys we worked out who we could've had for free...and he's 33 yrs old. Basically swapping our 5th for a 7th to rent a marginal backup for a year or so. I wouldn't mind as much if he were younger and could be a long term depth solution with upward potential. But I doubt he'll even be here when some other team is on the clock with our '17 5th round pick.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't like trading a 5th for a backup QB, but Dallas basically got caught with their pants down.

Not developing young QBs and ignoring the position in the draft has led to this desperation.

Looks like we called 1-800-BACKUPQB.

I just hope we're not this desperate when finding Romo's eventual replacement.
By that time we're have ample opportunity to check out MLB rosters too.

Carp

DCC 4Life
For reference...Bills gave up a 5 and 7 for Cassel and a 6.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't like trading a 5th for a backup QB, but Dallas basically got caught with their pants down.

Not developing young QBs and ignoring the position in the draft has led to this desperation.

Looks like we called 1-800-BACKUPQB.

I just hope we're not this desperate when finding Romo's eventual replacement.
That's exactly what we are doing, and it is going to bite us in the ass. Hopefully this opens the front offices eyes to the need to find Romo's eventual replacement asap.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Seahawks gave up a 3rd rounder for Charlie Whitehurst in 2010 (and also swapped their early 2nd rounder for the Chargers late 2nd rounder).

The Raiders traded a 5th rounder to Seattle in 2013 for Matt Flynn (and a conditional 2015 pick for which the condition wasn't met since Flynn was cut just a month into the 2013 season).

The price for Cassel really isn't much at all. Trading down from the 5th to the 7th isn't a big deal as by that point in the draft, player grades converge. Guys drafted in the 5th round don't have significantly better grades than those that go in the 7th, it's mostly a matter of scheme fit and each team's individual needs. If Cassel ends up starting some games for us this season or even coming in for relief in a couple games it will have been well worth it.
Not even remotely the same situations. Whitehurst was believed by the organization to be their future franchise QB and Flynn was brought in to compete for a starting job before the season even started. Neither was brought in to be insurance.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's exactly what we are doing, and it is going to bite us in the ass. Hopefully this opens the front offices eyes to the need to find Romo's eventual replacement asap.
There was one of the beat writers yesterday (can't remember which one) that was saying that had Stephen not gotten in the way of Jerry (Manziel) this wouldn't be an issue right now. :picard

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Not even remotely the same situations. Whitehurst was believed by the organization to be their future franchise QB and Flynn was brought in to compete for a starting job before the season even started. Neither was brought in to be insurance.
Yep. JerryCare is going to ruin this organization. :unsure

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's a little more than I'd like to give up but it's not so much that I'm going to argue about it for 5 pages. We basically gave up what amounts to a 6th rounder in 2017, after leveling the difference between a 5th and 7th, for veteran insurance in case Weeden goes down or completely sucks.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He was acquired to compete with Tarvaris Jackson.

They were throwing shit at a wall hoping one stuck...eventually did with Russell Wilson.
And we are currently throwing shit at a wall, hoping that we can pull 3 or 4 wins out of our ass until Romo comes back.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Awful fucking trade.

You can get a good player in round 5.

And Cassel is going to be up to speed when to maybe pull a win out of his ass if he has to play?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And that settles it....

Top Bottom