'Duck Dynasty': Phil Robertson anti-gay sermon surfaces

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe I needed to add a few more We in the comment but I though I had plenty. :art

2233boys

Not So New Member
Ok then. So how is Peter or Paul interpreting what God tells them any differently from what some minister thinks the Bible teaches?
I think he was talking mainly about needing to have a priest as your mediator before Christ. i.e going to confession

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
So they've already announced he's back.

Yep. Publicity stunt.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
No doubt. But we should invite Bipo too. It would be like this:

Ed - the reality is, you cannot fully claim to know that God exists...

Skid - not with evidence that is tangible in any sense.

Cotton - exactly! So how can you make your claims? I've studied during my time as a PT. I've seeeeeen the dark side!

Bipo - f you mutherfers! The ten commandments...faggot hating bitches!!! Uh, burn in hell fricktards! Hate bitch fuuuuuuuck!!! ~smashes bottle of whiskey on his head~

Khalid - ~prays the rosary~
Total horseshit.

I don't drink much whiskey these days. It would probably be a beer bottle.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Nice to know there's no difference between a child molester and a guy who lies to his kid telling him Santa is real. Sin is sin.

Hitler....wasn't so bad. Killing 6 million Jews is akin to getting a blow job.
The mistake we all make is projecting our own standards on God like He's just another human like us. That's not the case. God is unable to look upon sin. Go back to the crucifixion where Jesus takes all the sin of the world upon his shoulders and God turns away from Jesus, who cries, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?".

If you're taking a nap in a dark room and someone shines a 2 million candlepower spotlight in your face, you're going to freak out. Even if they say it's just a spotlight and not the sun you're not going to care about the source, you're just going to want that light out of your face. Now we both know there's a huge difference between the degree of light and heat from a spotlight and from the sun, but all you're going to care about is that someone is blinding you. Know what I mean?

So basically, God doesn't differentiate the different degrees of sin. Whether it's me eating a dozen Taco Bell tacos for supper (sin of gluttony) or John Wayne Gacy slaughtering children, in the eyes of God we've both sinned and have lost our relationship with God. In the same vein, by the grace of God Jesus died on the cross as our intercessor and by His grace we are forgiven of our sin if we ask His forgiveness.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The mistake we all make is projecting our own standards on God like He's just another human like us. That's not the case. God is unable to look upon sin. Go back to the crucifixion where Jesus takes all the sin of the world upon his shoulders and God turns away from Jesus, who cries, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?".

If you're taking a nap in a dark room and someone shines a 2 million candlepower spotlight in your face, you're going to freak out. Even if they say it's just a spotlight and not the sun you're not going to care about the source, you're just going to want that light out of your face. Now we both know there's a huge difference between the degree of light and heat from a spotlight and from the sun, but all you're going to care about is that someone is blinding you. Know what I mean?

So basically, God doesn't differentiate the different degrees of sin. Whether it's me eating a dozen Taco Bell tacos for supper (sin of gluttony) or John Wayne Gacy slaughtering children, in the eyes of God we've both sinned and have lost our relationship with God. In the same vein, by the grace of God Jesus died on the cross as our intercessor and by His grace we are forgiven of our sin if we ask His forgiveness.
Yep. We are born hopelessly lost and separated from God. He did however provide a way to be reconciled to him. The simple act is to accept or reject this gift by faith and without question. If you require proof you abandon faith.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

While I agree that all sin separates us from God I do not believe that you have any scriptural basis to determine that God does not differciate from degrees of sin. I've often heard that sin is sin, which I partially agree with but I haven't seen evidence that God sees all sin the same. In the end I supposed it doesn't matter because you are either a believer or not according to scripture.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I understand that, but that wasn't the question. Again, I'm not looking to stir things up or make disparaging comments about Christianity (I've done enough of that on this board over the years). This is a legit question I have for believers.
When I used to be a believer I used to wonder about these types of things. The answer that best satisfied my own personal morals and sense of justice is that god revealed himself to different cultures in different ways, in ways that those cultures could best comprehend. So not only would it be the same god in the Abraham religions, but also the multiple gods in Taoism and Hinduism and Shintoism, and Buddha in Buddhism and so forth. Same deity revealing himself in different ways. This reconciled for me how someone who lived his whole life never having the opportunity to hear about Jesus but who lived a moral life by Christian standards might avoid going to hell as a non believer (which didn't seem fair). Same god just in a different format. I mean, if he can be the trinity all at once there's no reason why he couldn't be Zeus and Ares and Apollo and Buddha and Odin and everything else, too.

Now I just think it's all bullshit. :lol

Genghis Khan

Not to disparage other religious beliefs, but I believe most other religions borrow tenets from Christianity, Judaism or Islam, but discarded some tenets that they personally didn't care for and added others on their own in order to justify their own desires.

And Christianity borrowed liberally from older ancient mythology like Egyptian and Sumerian myths.

Genghis Khan

Short version is sin isn't what we do it's who we are. In other words we are born that way.
Out of all the ridiculous postulates that Christianity forwards, this is probably its biggest load of bullshit.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And Christianity borrowed liberally from older ancient mythology like Egyptian and Sumerian myths.
At least the Noah story is better in the Bible version. The Sumerian version had dimensions for a ship that would sink immediately. The dimensions for the ark in the Bible actually describe a ship, rather than a cube.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Out of all the ridiculous postulates that Christianity forwards, this is probably its biggest load of bullshit.
Since you are taking a philosophical position to debate a faith driven belief then how about you proving that your stance is correct. It's, a matter of personal choice so take this opportunity to express the truth and why it is so.

Genghis Khan

Meh, it's not that hard. I left Christianity behind many years ago. :art

Honestly though, I wonder how most Christians reconcile the scenario in their minds that a huge part of the reason that they're Christian is because of the random variable of the culture they were born into/grew up in. I don't think it's really debatable that one's culture greatly influences what belief system they subscribe to. Had they instead been born and raised in Saudi Arabi, odds are very, very high that the absolute belief that they have in Christianity would have instead been in Islam. Muslim people (and Jews, and Hindus, et al) also have faith, multiple experiences that they feel validate their faith, etc. Are those experiences/feelings not real?

My guess is that most Christians look at it as either incredible serendipity or divine favor.

Genghis Khan

Since you are taking a philosophical position to debate a faith driven belief then how about you proving that your stance is correct. It's, a matter of personal choice so take this opportunity to express the truth and why it is so.
Wait you take a ridiculous notion, believe in it without a shred of logic or evidence, then want me to prove that it's not true?

Christian logic at its finest. :lol

Genghis Khan

I will say this though. My son was born 6 months ago. You're out of your mind if you can look at an innocent baby and think there is one iota of "sin" inside. He has never done a damn thing morally wrong to anyone, and is not even capable of it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wait you take a ridiculous notion, believe in it without a shred of logic or evidence, then want me to prove that it's not true?

Christian logic at its finest. :lol
That's the whole point. You believe what you choose to believe but condem someone else for doing the same thing. My position is I can't prove it just accept it. That seems to be the same position you are taking so where's the beef?

Top Bottom