Draft Scenarios...

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
I posted this in another thread, but I think as we get closer to the draft it might be fun to throw out a few scenarios? It appropriately fits here. I'll start with mine:

Been reading that the Jets pick at 20 may be in play. Not for a move up, but they want to move back. The Jets have made it known they would like to get more picks. And? If the Rams are really serious about wanting to move up to #4 and drafting Wentz/Goff? And potentially really overpay for their guy as they made the Skins do for RG3... Then?

How about this scenario:

#4 to the Rams for 15, 43, 45 & 2017 #1

#34 and #45 to the Jets for #20

That leaves Dallas sitting with 15, 20 and 43... With an extra 2017 #1 in the bank.

That could put players like Lynch, Lawson, Treadwell, Doctson, Coleman, Apple, Dodd, Blair, Henry and Billings into play.

Landing 3 of those guys would be sweet... Especially if Paxton Lynch is the top QB on Dal board?

I don't think it's unheard of that the Rams could be squeezed to overpay, they need to hit LA with a true franchise QB. And like I said, they did it to the Skins for RG3. It's their turn now?

Thoughts?

marsbennett

Brand New Member
I posted this in another thread, but I think as we get closer to the draft it might be fun to throw out a few scenarios? It appropriately fits here. I'll start with mine:

Been reading that the Jets pick at 20 may be in play. Not for a move up, but they want to move back. The Jets have made it known they would like to get more picks. And? If the Rams are really serious about wanting to move up to #4 and drafting Wentz/Goff? And potentially really overpay for their guy as they made the Skins do for RG3... Then?

How about this scenario:

That leaves Dallas sitting with 15, 20 and 43... With an extra 2017 #1 in the bank.

That could put players like Lynch, Lawson, Treadwell, Doctson, Coleman, Apple, Dodd, Blair, Henry and Billings into play.

Landing 3 of those guys would be sweet... Especially if Paxton Lynch is the top QB on Dal board?

I don't think it's unheard of that the Rams could be squeezed to overpay, they need to hit LA with a true franchise QB. And like I said, they did it to the Skins for RG3. It's their turn now?

Thoughts?

Banned at teh Zone?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

How about this scenario:

Thoughts?
It is a little ambitious.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
It is a little ambitious.
Ambitious I know. But so was the Rams squeezing the Skins for 3 #1's .. For a 4 spot move to #2 and RG3. It's draft season, nothing's too ambitious if a team falls in love with a franchise QB. Let it be known that top 5 picks should be used for franchise QB, premium pass rusher(not Bosa or anyone in this draft) or a left tackle. In my mind, no other position warrants that high of a pick. It just doesn't make sense to take a safety like Ramsey (at #4 would be the highest DB drafted in 15 years) or a run stuffer. I could maybe be convinced on moving a few spots back for Zeke. He looks like a generational talent, a true 3 down workhorse that can pass protect like a pro(critical). So I'd be cool with him and a couple picks in a potential move down.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The trades are ambitious. That would be a series of trades a qualified GM could pull off. Not us.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
We're more likely to trade down and get fleeced and then have Spags and Archer shit out articles about how we actually got fair value according to the Cowboy's super-secret trade value chart.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Anybody here would take that scenario but it's completely unrealistic when you have a generally inept front office such as ours.

We would most likely come out of the first with Lynch and a top defensive prospect such as Rankins, Lawson, Billings, A'Shawn Robinson, Darron Lee or Kevin Dodd. That would obviously be a home run.

shane

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down if we aren't going to take a QB

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Anybody here would take that scenario but it's completely unrealistic when you have a generally inept front office such as ours.

We would most likely come out of the first with Lynch and a top defensive prospect such as Rankins, Lawson, Billings, A'Shawn Robinson, Darron Lee or Kevin Dodd. That would obviously be a home run.
I totally agree with you man. I'm just thinking at #4? Jerry talks about it like it has some historical value or some shit. It may be historical to some team like the 49ers or Rams when Dallas is on the clock and Goff or Wentz is sitting there. Things seem to intensify when the teams go on the clock, and if Jerry plays some teams against each other hard enough then maybe Dallas gets the overpay.

I like the defensive players you mentioned. To me, in this draft there's no Von Miller or Luke Kuechly types that are worthy of the 4th pick. Jack is a nice player, and I know that Broaddus has him as his top guy. That's dicey, with the 4th pick, to grab a guy who's knee was jacked up. The more I look at it I'm thinking that they take a QB or need a parter to move back. If both QBs are gone? Then you have to hope that a team falls in love with Ramsey and can get decent value in a move back. To me, there are 4 franchise players in this draft. Tunsil, Wentz, Goff and Zeke. And if the 2 QBs are gone then you move just a few spots back and hope to land Zeke and a pick.

Will McClay is supposed to be this pro/college scouting guru. Mainly the pro personnel. It's time for him to put the finishing touches on this thing. He dug up Laurent Robinson, Selvie, Ro McClain and David Irving who I personally really like. Irving looked like a really good pressure D-lineman when he was given a chance. I'd like to see more of him.

My gut says that right now Dallas is trying to determine if Wentz/Goff are worth the 4th pick. If they feel that Lynch is better or even close, then they move back and take him. This Bosa talk at #4 turns my stomach. Ever seen the guy? Dude talks like he's high all the time! I hope I'm wrong about him, but he doesn't seem to scream elite game wrecker to me. Who knows?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
If Cleveand takes Wentz at 2, then I'm manufacturing a war between St Louis and San Francisco in the hope that one of them will be stupid enough to give up a small fortune to get Goff. I'd play that angle hard. However, our front office isn't smart enough to do that because it would also mean that we'd have to draft Goff if we can't swing a deal, and Jerry doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger and draft Goff only to trade him later in the day.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Fuck that. I'm not even thinking of a trade down unless some idiot team calls and offers up an all timer kings ransom for the pick. One or both of the QBs will be there. Take one and don't look back. We have a chance to take a possible franchise QB by using only one single pick. I don't want to have to mortgage an entire draft or two to move up far enough to take one in a year or two.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Fuck that. I'm not even thinking of a trade down unless some idiot team calls and offers up an all timer kings ransom for the pick. One or both of the QBs will be there. Take one and don't look back. We have a chance to take a possible franchise QB by using only one single pick. I don't want to have to mortgage an entire draft or two to move up far enough to take one in a year or two.
Dude, we have UDFA to find a QB.

Relax...Jerry's got this, homie.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We're more likely to trade down and get fleeced and then have Spags and Archer shit out articles about how we actually got fair value according to the Cowboy's super-secret trade value chart.
Hopefully we can get fleeced like we did when we turned our 1st round pick into Frederick and Williams.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I wouldn't mind a slight trade down, like to the 7 spot. pick up a possible extra 2nd and still probably get Buckner, Jack or Elliot. Would also have extra ammo to maybe move back up for Lynch if he drops to low first round. Otherwise have two high 2nd rounders.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't mind a slight trade down, like to the 7 spot. pick up a possible extra 2nd and still probably get Buckner, Jack or Elliot. Would also have extra ammo to maybe move back up for Lynch if he drops to low first round. Otherwise have two high 2nd rounders.
People should probably just forget about Elliott all together. He isn't even a consoderation.

I'd love that trade down of we aren't taking Goff or Wentz. Hell I'd be cool with that trade down and then take Lynch.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
People should probably just forget about Elliott all together. He isn't even a consoderation.

I'd love that trade down of we aren't taking Goff or Wentz. Hell I'd be cool with that trade down and then take Lynch.
Yeah I'm sure Elliot isn't on our radar but I threw him in because he would be a good value at 7. But if we don't go QB I'm sure we'll pick defense. At 7 there will likely be one or two guys available we considered at 4.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I would be fine with dropping a few spots to pick up an extra second, especially if it's a high second. That way, when we blow one of our second round picks on a tight end or injury prone, first round projected LB, we'll have one to spare.

Top Bottom