Archer: Dallas Cowboys' pass rush 'not good enough'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys' pass rush 'not good enough'

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Randy Gregory sat at his locker Thursday talking about returning from his high ankle sprain in time for next week's game against the New England Patriots. It might be wishful thinking, but that would help the Dallas Cowboys' pass rush.

Greg Hardy's return from a four-game suspension next week will help the pass rush, but does nothing for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints.

The focal point of the Cowboys' offseason was to improve a pass rush that had just 28 sacks in 2014. Through three games, the Cowboys have just three sacks.

“It's not good enough,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “It's not. Not at a championship level that we want. And they know that. So we've just got to keep grinding and keep pushing each and every day and each and every week, try different guys in there, move guys around, maybe different matchups and just work at it. Come out and work at it. It's not good enough.”

On the door of the rushmen's meeting room is a poster that reads, “If you're not rushing, you're stealing.”

The success of the Cowboys' defense is predicated on a pass rush. That affects takeaways. That affects third down success. That affects points. Two of the three quarterbacks the Cowboys face do not allow much pressure and sacks.

Eli Manning was sacked once in the opener. Last week, the Cowboys got to Matt Ryan just once. The Cowboys have 21 quarterback pressures on 109 opponents' pass attempts.

Marinelli does not like to bring extra pass-rushers. He does not want to open the defense up to big plays by blitzing. Sean Lee was able to pick up the first sack of his career with a blitz up the middle to take down Ryan for a 5-yard loss.

Marinelli has more confidence in the Cowboys' secondary, but he does not to expose them too much,

“You've just got to be smart,” Marinelli said. “But we just have to make that part of it work. And we'll do pressure. It's all part of it. I'd like to bring it when we want to, not because we have to. Then I think you're, that's when things get a little shaky for you. People know you're coming now with us, so we just got to keep it better. It's not good enough.”

Against the Falcons the Cowboys were down more than just Gregory, who was hurt against the New York Giants, and Hardy. Jeremy Mincey, who led the Cowboys in sacks last year with six, did not play because of a concussion. They were without defensive tackle Terrell McClain, who was one of their better interior pass-rushers, because of a season-ending toe injury.

Rookie Ryan Russell was active for the first time. Davon Coleman played more snaps but was released on Monday.

The regulars, like Tyrone Crawford and DeMarcus Lawrence, had to play more. With more work, came less rest. With less rest came a slower pass rush.

Mincey will be back this week against the Saints.

“Organization and communication,” Mincey said. “Just got to know who's beside you and know what you're dealing with. [Lawrence] is still young, [Tyrone] Crawford still young. Guys are still learning. Once they get back in the rhythm of things it will start falling in line. It's a matter of time.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just one more game and then we will start having reinforcements coming. I still worry about how thin we are in the middle though. I know Hardy can shift inside and play some DT but it would be really nice to have more then just Crawford on the inside.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just one more game and then we will start having reinforcements coming. I still worry about how thin we are in the middle though. I know Hardy can shift inside and play some DT but it would be really nice to have more then just Crawford on the inside.
I hope they are not expecting Gregory to be the cure. A high ankle sprain is a bad thing that lingers.

Hardy, I dunno. He looked sluggish in preseason. Maybe it was because he was being used in weird packages inside. I just didn't see him looking as powerful as he was with Carolina.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope they are not expecting Gregory to be the cure. A high ankle sprain is a bad thing that lingers.
I fully expect Gregory to be a part of the cure but we need more then just one guy actually creating pressure. We need to start seeing multiple guys doing it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I fully expect Gregory to be a part of the cure but we need more then just one guy actually creating pressure. We need to start seeing multiple guys doing it.
Yeah, well from preseason to now, Gregory is the only guy I have seen tangibly do it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, well from preseason to now, Gregory is the only guy I have seen tangibly do it.
Well Gregory has looked unblockable at times. Hopefully he can get back to that this season but I don't know about that.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't understand the thought that he won't be able to come back 100%. He just sprained his ankle. It's not like he sprained an ACL.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hardy can and will make a difference, but it will take time for him to reach that same zone he was in two years ago. It's too much rust. Still he's certainly no liability out there in pass defense-- especially if he draws a double team or chip.

But as a run defender and anchor, he is an immediate upgrade and one we badly need.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't understand the thought that he won't be able to come back 100%. He just sprained his ankle. It's not like he sprained an ACL.
You don't know about high ankle sprains then. They linger.

Cotton

Staff member
You don't know about high ankle sprains then. They linger.
Meh. I have had a high ankle sprain. While it takes longer to heal and they hurt like a motherfucker, once they are healed, they are healed. It's not like a hamstring type strain that can stay with you for months.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Meh. I have had a high ankle sprain. While it takes longer to heal and they hurt like a motherfucker, once they are healed, they are healed. It's not like a hamstring type strain that can stay with you for months.
Not only have you never been a coach, you don't know about injuries either.

townsend

Banned
I think Gregory has a better chance to recover, not only is he young, but he's getting the full 6 weeks. A lot of lingering HASs seem to happen to guys who rush back after a couple weeks.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Iamtdg to played through and completed a pergola and fire break with a high ankle sprain.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Lawrence has been a complete letdown. Does he even have a sack yet?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Lawrence has been a complete letdown. Does he even have a sack yet?
I was happy with his activity in week one, but he has been a let down side for sure. Problem is though, with Gregory out, Mincey out, the only other real pass rushing threat is Crawford.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I was happy with his activity in week one, but he has been a let down side for sure. Problem is though, with Gregory out, Mincey out, the only other real pass rushing threat is Crawford.
True but even without much help he can still win enough to get some pressure. After the postseason last year where he played well, and all the off-season platitudes, I expected more.

Carp

DCC 4Life
True but even without much help he can still win enough to get some pressure. After the postseason last year where he played well, and all the off-season platitudes, I expected more.
I think they are trying different things...to not really get a sniff at RDE is telling.

Top Bottom