QB Controversy Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
When asked who was going to start against the Eagles he said something to the effect, "It would have been a tough push to get Romo ready in time for the Eagles game".
It may not be about Romo.

Starting him right now means we have to throw the current playbook in the trash, or a good chunk of it.

That is not an easy thing to do.

There are two periods here. The Romo is healthy period and the other being the re-installation of the Romo playbook.

I refuse to believe that the process with the plans and play calling would be seamless.

There are a lot of moving parts here.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It may not be about Romo.

Starting him right now means we have to throw the current playbook in the trash, or a good chunk of it.
To me, those two statements contradict themselves. If they don't want to trash the playbook that is working to start Romo, then it is about Romo.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
my question is, will Dak be allowed to have a shitty game without fear of losing his job?
If you listened to all the Cowboys beat writers who are essentially insulted that we're having this discussion then I'd say no.

Bad games are only reserved for Romo apparently.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
To me, those two statements contradict themselves. If they don't want to trash the playbook that is working to start Romo, then it is about Romo.
I think we have clearly modified things from day one with Prescott. There pretty much has to be a "lite" version that Prescott can execute.

That includes simple reads, option plays and maybe even more gadgets.

The reason I say it is not about Romo, is that it is about how we developed our plan going into the year.

I am sure the plan was Romo like 2014 (five more years!) and Kellen Moore, Prescott as the third, blub blub blub.

They ripped it up and frankly did a great job installing the option stuff which I really don't get how people ignore in it's significance.

It is not about Romo. It is about how this staff was preparing. This is a coaching issue. And a real challenge.

p1_

DCC 4Life
my question is, will Dak be allowed to have a shitty game without fear of losing his job?
you would think that given 6 opportunities to have a shitty game, we would have already seen one. Instead, we see a mere one interception,
after a new all time record is established for the start of a career without one. Im beginning to think we won't see a bad game from Dak.

kidd

DCC 4Life
When [MENTION=128]kidd[/MENTION] says we need to stick with Dak, then you know it's really the only logical choice to make.

:lol
Don' t get me wrong, if they put Romo in, I won't exactly shed any tears. Both QBs are great so both should be on short leashes knowing there's an all star waiting in the wings. That brings competition and should keep both sharp.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Romo is no run of the mill back up. He was the starter and he has been inactive. If you want him fit for competition then he will need some work. Do you believe the coaching adage that if you don't practice you don't play? It's the same principal you are not game ready. If you haven't played for a while you are not game ready.
If they're going to give Romo reps, it'll have to be during a blowout.

hstour

Brand New Member
That's a general approach that will cover the contingency. What is being lost in all this is that most backups are practicing all the time and have exposure to game plans and schemes from week to week. Romo hasn't seen the field of any kind for almost a year.
Ok, he hasn't taken practice reps. Don't see where that really matters. Practice reps aren't anything like game reps anyway.

So are you saying that even while hurt that Romo hasn't been exposed to the game plans?

From everything I have seen, he has been heavily involved in the game plans and schemes and actually has been helping to mentor/coach Dak.

For you to say that Romo hasn't seen the field of any kind in almost a year just isn't true. He went through all of training camp and was injured in a preseason game just 52 days ago.

hstour

Brand New Member
you would think that given 6 opportunities to have a shitty game, we would have already seen one. Instead, we see a mere one interception,
after a new all time record is established for the start of a career without one. Im beginning to think we won't see a bad game from Dak.
He has fumbled a few times. He needs to clean that up.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If you listened to all the Cowboys beat writers who are essentially insulted that we're having this discussion then I'd say no.

Bad games are only reserved for Romo apparently.
Funny how that works.

Along those same lines. I've seen quite a few Romosexuals claim that Romo gives us the best chance to win a title this year. My question is this. What has Romo ever done in the postseason that would give anyone confidence that he'll suddenly turn into a clutch playoff QB capable of leading a team to a Super Bowl?

If he had a resume like Roethlisberger or Brady then I'm right there with them when it comes to giving him his job back because guys like that have proven that they can lead a team deep into the playoffs. Romo on the other has generally underwhelmed in the postseason.

I'm not rocking this boat for someone with a 2-4 postseason record and who has never come remotely close to leading his team to a Super Bowl.

Last edited:

hstour

Brand New Member
LT, you might want to claim hyperbole here.

Romo can get acclimated to game speed in practice the same way he can during training camp. Nothing is like game experience but if that's the role you assign Romo he will be as ready as can be when called upon.

I just still haven't changed my mind that Romo shouldn't start, but obviously we are getting winning QB play either way.
I don't agree that "Romo can get acclimated to game speed in practice the same way he can during training camp." That's why they play preseason games. Because practice just can't simulate game speed.

That being said; Romo has so much game speed experience, like any vet, he can acclimate to game speed faster than the usual backup that spends most of his time on the sideline.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ok, he hasn't taken practice reps. Don't see where that really matters. Practice reps aren't anything like game reps anyway.

So are you saying that even while hurt that Romo hasn't been exposed to the game plans?

From everything I have seen, he has been heavily involved in the game plans and schemes and actually has been helping to mentor/coach Dak.

For you to say that Romo hasn't seen the field of any kind in almost a year just isn't true. He went through all of training camp and was injured in a preseason game just 52 days ago.
Technically that's correct but training camp was a relatively short period considering he was inactive virtually all the previous season. In the span of a year he had a training camp.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He has fumbled a few times. He needs to clean that up.
Romo has had more fumbles in a game than Prescott has had.

Turnovers are the main driver why people actually don't want Romo back.

hstour

Brand New Member
Romo has had more fumbles in a game than Prescott has had.

Turnovers are the main driver why people actually don't want Romo back.
I wasn't making a comparison, just stating the obvious.

But since you did, let's take a look:

Romo has 65 fumbles in 155 games or .419 per game.
Prescott has 4 fumbles in 6 games or .666 per game.

23 of Romo's came in the '07 & '08 seasons and he has been much better in the most recent years (except for '14 where he had 9).

So like Romo learned, Prescott needs to realize that as a mobile QB, you have to pay attention to how you are holding the ball when you are moving around.

That's all I was saying.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Funny how that works.

Along those same lines. I've seen quite a few Romosexuals claim that Romo's gives us the best chance to win a title this year. My question is this. What has Romo ever done in the postseason that would give anyone confidence that he'll suddenly turn into a clutch playoff QB capable of leading a team to a Super Bowl?

If he had a resume like Roethlisberger or Brady then I'm right there with them when it comes to giving him his job back because guys like that have proven that they can lead a team deep into the playoffs. Romo on the other, has generally underwhelmed in the postseason.

I'm not rocking this boat for someone with a 2-4 postseason record and who has never come remotely close to leading his team to a Super Bowl.
But...but....HE WAS 12-4 IN 2014 !!!!!!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So like Romo learned, Prescott needs to realize that as a mobile QB, you have to pay attention to how you are holding the ball when you are moving around.

That's all I was saying.
Yeah I remember when Romo was a fumbling machine. But eventually he improved and then it seemed like he really rarely fumbled at all. All of Daks fumbles were in the last two weeks, so hopefully it's something he can kind of get corrected. I also think the ball was slick during the Packers game. Both QBs and WRs seemed to struggle with holding onto that ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The TEAM was 12 - 4.

Romo was just 34 TDs vs 9 INTs...

...and runner up in the MVP voting.

:tippytoe
It was an awesome season. His playoff performance was meh, but his regular season was special.

Of course Dak is in the middle of a pretty special season too right now.

Top Bottom