Donovan McNabb: Cowboys may want to think about trading Tony Romo and Dez Bryant

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Donovan McNabb: Cowboys may want to think about trading Tony Romo and Dez Bryant

By SportsDayDFW.com

Donovan McNabb, six-time Pro Bowl QB for the Eagles and current co-host of McNabb & Custer on ESPN Radio, joined ESPN's Mike & Mike show Monday to talk all things football, including the Cowboys. Here are some of the highlights:

Is there any justification for putting a healthy Tony Romo back on the field over Dak Prescott?

McNabb: "The thing that I put out there on Twitter before our show [Sunday night] was, you may want to think about trading Tony Romo and Dez Bryant going forward because this is a young team that's all fallen behind their young talent, meaning Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott.

"Think about this: Going into the draft -- their defense has been playing outstanding -- go into the draft, you draft a pretty good wide receiver, maybe in the second round, go after a defensive player in the first round and now you build with that three-headed monster that we've seen them be so successful with. The offensive line is stable, something we've seen when Troy Aikman was there. You already have your running back, and then you have depth -- you have [Darren] McFadden and you also have some other guys to play.

"Think of bringing in a wide receiver that can be a top-dog wide receiver [with] no problems, because at this point, you're not even talking about Dez. Remember, just a couple weeks ago, we were talking about if he was late [to meetings], how many times he was late, not showing up to treatments, didn't want to hear bad news from doctors -- that becomes a distraction to the rest of the wide receiving core. [Brice] Butler is stepping up and playing well, you have Terrance Williams playing well; I mean, the ageless wonder in [Jason] Witten is catching balls and getting first downs; Cole Beasley was granted an opportunity to step away from training camp because he was questioning if he was still wanting to play football, and he's the No. 1 wide receiver for them. He has that connection with Dak Prescott.

"So if you're Jerry Jones, you need to listen to everybody, at this point, for the first time, and keep Dak Prescott in there and have that backup, just like New England did with Tom Brady. Yeah, we knew that Drew Bledsoe was a little upset about it and I would too, being a starter, but it worked out well for them where they'll be able to part ways with Drew Bledsoe."

When Romo is ready to go, how should the Cowboys handle the QB situation internally?

McNabb: "It's on Jason Garrett. It's not on Jerry Jones to sit down and talk with any of these individuals. He's the head coach, so Jason Garrett's gonna have to sit down individually with the both of them, talk to them about the plan going forward, tell Dak Prescott, 'Hey, you've been impressive, you've been doing a great job, lot of things we gotta clean up -- you're our guy going forward. And I want you to understand we're giving you the keys to the car, but you've already had that. Now, we want you to have that confidence knowing that we're supporting you.'

"And with Tony Romo, it's like, 'Hey, look, you've been a young guy, you understand the situation. Hey, you moved into this position with Drew Bledsoe, so you understand this. You have a lot of injuries; you're just coming back from a back injury, where you gotta take epidural shots. We want you to get fully recovered, but you're a leader on this team and guys rally around you. But we're gonna go with the young guy going forward, but we want you to continue to stay ready because at any point, you could be called to go in there.'"

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trading Dez is stupid. You trade Dez and you now have to draft a WR immediately. A WR that you probably hope is as good as Dez Bryant. McNabb is clueless about that.

I agree on Romo. You trade him after this year. We can't afford to move on from Romo right now and we need him as a backup this season. Plus Romo's salary next year is only like 14 mil which should make him very attractive to some.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Trading Dez is stupid. You trade Dez and you now have to draft a WR immediately. A WR that you probably hope is as good as Dez Bryant. McNabb is clueless about that.

I agree on Romo. You trade him after this year. We can't afford to move on from Romo right now and we need him as a backup this season. Plus Romo's salary next year is only like 14 mil which should make him very attractive to some.
McNabb is a fucking 'tard, and it shows here with the Dez comment.

However, he's spot on about Jerry. Jones has no business running his mouth about anything to the players or the media when it comes to the QB situation.

Of course, that would mean that Jerry is dead...but anywho...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jerry got onto Ed Wetter after the game. Told Ed he made a career of putting words in his mouth. This was during an interview and Jerry was babbling on about a good problem to have.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'm not Dez's biggest fan, but I'm not trading him with a tard like Williams as my #1 and a deep threat in Butler that can't catch bombs.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Jerry got onto Ed Wetter after the game. Told Ed he made a career of putting words in his mouth. This was during an interview and Jerry was babbling on about a good problem to have.

I heard that, but I didn't realize Jerry was talking to Werder. That's hilarious.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Yeah, let's take advice from McNabb on how to win football games :lol
Last I checked he got hell of a lot closer to winning a championship than Romo has even with the mid-game vomiting.

But I get what you're saying.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
McNabb is clearly still jaded by his experience with Terrell Owens.

I heard him on all the ESPN shows spouting off about Dez's distractions. What distractions? Aside from that stint where he was AWOL following his knee injury the Cowboys have had no issues with Dez in years.

McStomachFlab is clinging on to those phantom reports created by the disgruntled Dallas media. If Dez missed that many meetings a source would have leaked that information a long time ago.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's their best QB ever and even Eagles fans think McNabb is a bitch.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Last I checked he got hell of a lot closer to winning a championship than Romo has even with the mid-game vomiting.

But I get what you're saying.

:lol

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
He's their best QB ever and even Eagles fans think McNabb is a bitch.
Oh, there's no doubt that he was a bitch.

It's just a shame that he's been some place that Romo has never been close to and for as big of a bitch that McNabb was he has a 9-7 playoff record.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
LOL.. just noticed that. Was on my mobile and have no idea why it changed it to that.
I thought you did that on purpose. As in he wets the bed a lot with his reporting. :lol

Top Bottom