Watkins: Beat Writers Report - Austin not accountable

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Beat Writers Report: Austin not accountable

December, 11, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

After the Dallas Cowboys' 45-28 loss to the Chicago Bears on Monday night, we review what we saw and what we heard in our weekly Beat Writers Report.

" Fans don't really care about reporters' problems. I have a wonderful job. I get to cover an NFL team for a living, and sometimes it humbles you because it's a dream job. However, there are times when you need to speak to the participants about how they performed because the paying public is seeking answers regardless if a team wins or loses. Which brings me to wide receiverMiles Austin. He failed to catch a low throw by a scrambling Tony Romo against the Bears and finished with two catches for 19 yards. Austin declined to speak with reporters after the game. He was nice about it, and noted that we should talk on Friday. But after a blowout loss in which the Cowboys dropped out of first place in the division, Austin needed to speak. Dez Bryant and Cole Beasley spoke to reporters within earshot of Austin. As Beasley spoke, Austin looked over while he put his clothes on. Being held accountable following wins and losses is important especially when the Cowboys' fan base demands answers. Austin's season has been horrible. Hamstring injuries have limited him to just 19 catches for 179 yards and zero touchdowns. After a game like Monday's, Austin needed to do the right thing, as a veteran, and speak with reporters and stand up face the music. Most of his teammates did.

" It's funny how the Cowboys forgot about the run game and how DeMarco Murray is somebody the fans hate. Murray had a solid outing against the Bears, averaging 8.1 yards per carry and setting the tone with six runs on the first possession of the game. All week Murray was asked whether he could handle the expected cold weather; at one point a reporter asked if he was he a cold-weather back. Murray answered such questions with one of his best games of the season. You might not like his running style -- he doesn't run over guys as much and prefers to run toward the sidelines -- but with three games remaining Murray has 843 rushing yards, and he could reach 1,000.

" According to Pro Football Focus, the Cowboys have dropped 20 passes this season, including nine by Bryant. That's a glaring number considering the talent on this roster. The dropped passes became prevalent on a drive late in first half Monday. Trailing 17-14, the Cowboys wanted to finish the first half with a score. But Jason Witten, Murray and Terrance Williams could not secure passes. Williams failed to make a contested catch; cornerback Zack Bowmanknocked the ball away on third-and-10. The Cowboys were forced to punt, and the Bears scored quickly to push their lead to 24-14. Dropping passes hurts momentum and takes offenses off the field on third down. If the Cowboys are going to move into the postseason, they need to do a better job of catching passes.

" Jerry Jones expressed frustration with the defensive scheme following the loss. The next day, Jones was encouraging, expressing support for defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. Sometimes you question what Kiffin or the players he places on the field are doing. On the Bears' first score, the Cowboys dropped back in zone coverage but rookie cornerback B.W. Webb was caught looking in the backfield. Webb ignored wide receiver Earl Bennettstanding near him in the end zone, so guess who quarterback Josh McCown directed a pass to? Yep, Bennett, for the 4-yard touchdown reception. The issue is why the Cowboys are in zone coverage inside the 20. Webb is athletic but not good enough, at least right now, to get significant snaps.

" DeMarcus Ware said he needs to play better in the next three weeks, but what about the other members of the defensive line? Jason Hatcher was slowed by a stinger, but he's seeing more double-teams. George Selvie and Nick Hayden are getting some pressures on the quarterback but not enough to force long down-and-distance situations. There was a reason Selvie and Hayden were on the street this summer. Have they reached their ceiling? Maybe. If so, it comes at a bad time, with the Cowboys a game behind first in the division with three games to play.

Someone got booty hurt. :lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Gee, have guys that barely belong on NFL rosters, if at all, hit their ceiling?

What a ridiculous question.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't care even a little bit if Austin talks to reporters. What I do care about is the fact that he's been dreadful when he's been on the field. He needs to go. I don't need to hear what he has to say. Reporters get way too caught up about that. 90% of what athletes say is useless and uninteresting anyway.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't care even a little bit if Austin talks to reporters. What I do care about is the fact that he's been dreadful when he's been on the field. He needs to go. I don't need to hear what he has to say. Reporters get way too caught up about that. 90% of what athletes say is useless and uninteresting anyway.
I wanted to cut him rather than restructure him, back when he had no signing bonus and his entire cap number would have come off. I still want him gone but it's a shame he's still here and will now carry dead money.

D

Deuce

Don't blame Austin. Accountability is something that lots of guys don't take on this team.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't need to hear what he has to say. Reporters get way too caught up about that. 90% of what athletes say is useless and uninteresting anyway.
Not only reporters, but fans too. WGAS what they say? The vast majority of it is just a canned cliché anyway.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Don't blame Austin. Accountability is something that lots of guys don't take on this team.
The problem is, the accountability should be forced on them. Not given as an option.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Once you get the Golden Ticket from Jerry...that all evaporates.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Austin himself was an undrafted free agent who worked himself into the starting lineup, so given his pedigree, maybe that was all he had. Dallas wasted time in 2007 and 2008 by not playing him more. By 2009, he was already peaking. Also there's a chance he was roided up to get into a starter's condition and hasn't been able to get back since quitting.

We as fans can speculate our asses off, but a football organization should know stone cold everything about this guy. Instead it seems like Jerry Jones just can't wait to dump a Brinks truck to help overhype even marginal players he thinks he can promote.

No wonder the rest of the league was so pissed when Jones paid Austin all that money on 2010. They knew he was more of an overachiever than a true star, but Jerry paid him elite money changing the entire NFL marketplace. After that, teams like the Chargers couldn't possibly pay real studs like Vincent Jackson without breaking the bank.

The fucking Rams raped us the same way overpaying Cortland Finnegan during Cowboy negotiations with Brandon Carr. Carr is not an elite defender, but Dallas paid him like one. JJ Watt, Darrelle Revis, Geno Atkins, Luke Kuechly, and Joe Haden are elite defenders. Ware and Suggs were elite when they signed their deals, and at their age could be again if their health holds up.

But Finnegan and Carr are now seriously overpaid. Sad, Jerry.

You get the feeling Dallas would be better off cutting everyone not under their rookie deals and starting over.

Top Bottom