2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
She did set precedent. A private email account and a private server are two different things. She defends herself by bringing up Colin Powell, who used a private email address, he didn't use a private server. She used both.

She did send and receive classified documents, but says (and it seems to be true) non were classified at the time. I think her bigger issue, is going to if this was an attempt to circumnavigate the FOIA, and that she was warned she was hacked, all communications were stopped, she didn't tell anyone and kept using the server.
Could be. The testimony of the one individual who has been offered immunity is apparently strong stuff to get him that deal. We shall see.

Jiggyfly

Banned
She did set precedent. A private email account and a private server are two different things. She defends herself by bringing up Colin Powell, who used a private email address, he didn't use a private server. She used both.

She did send and receive classified documents, but says (and it seems to be true) non were classified at the time. I think her bigger issue, is going to if this was an attempt to circumnavigate the FOIA, and that she was warned she was hacked, all communications were stopped, she didn't tell anyone and kept using the server.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's not smooth and he's not pc, but part of the problem is that that's what his supporters like about him so stuff like that won't make a dent in his popularity.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He's not smooth and he's not pc, but part of the problem is that that's what his supporters like about him so stuff like that won't make a dent in his popularity.
Exactly. The fucking rubes voting for him wouldn't have cared if he had flat out said that's my nigga over there.

D

Deuce

That doesn't matter. What matters is the sizable (and growing) chunk of R's that are becoming more and more repulsed by him and won't give him their vote. My guess is we see Johnson take a much bigger portion of this election than expected and it gives Hilary the easy win. Basically identical to how her husband won in '92.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That doesn't matter. What matters is the sizable (and growing) chunk of R's that are becoming more and more repulsed by him and won't give him their vote. My guess is we see Johnson take a much bigger portion of this election than expected and it gives Hilary the easy win. Basically identical to how her husband won in '92.
Is this really happening?

Going by the sentiment around and the poles here it seems like the R's are closing rank.

D

Deuce

Going by the sentiment around and the poles here it seems like the R's are closing rank.
I don't know where "here" is, but I think it's what happens in the swing states. Im guess Hilary takes almost all the non-gaurenteed states for the R's.

Kbrown

Not So New Member

The fact that a prominent Republican media member has hand-selected an alternate candidate shows there is a fracture.

And the Republicans had enough trouble defeating their official Devil Incarnate for two elections, when they were comparatively united.

I think the only hope Trump has is that the right people will believe the right parts of his incoherent message and he'll pull in a diverse set of independents.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't know where "here" is, but I think it's what happens in the swing states. Im guess Hilary takes almost all the non-gaurenteed states for the R's.
Was talking about the board.

Yeah I was thinking the same but the latest poll numbers are all over the place and Hillary is really unlikeable to a lot of voters.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The fact that a prominent Republican media member has hand-selected an alternate candidate shows there is a fracture.

And the Republicans had enough trouble defeating their official Devil Incarnate for two elections, when they were comparatively united.

I think the only hope Trump has is that the right people will believe the right parts of his incoherent message and he'll pull in a diverse set of independents.
Yeah I think the same but if Hillary does not get a major bump after the convention all bets are off.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Trump says judge’s Mexican heritage presents ‘absolute conflict’ in Trump University cases

By Sean Sullivan June 2

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump answers questions during a news conference in New York on May 31, 2016. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
Donald Trump said in an interview published Thursday that that a federal judge's Mexican heritage presents a "absolute conflict" in his fitness to hear lawsuits against Trump University because of the mogul's hard-line stance on immigration.

While Trump has assailed the judge before with racially imbued language, his comments marked the first time he explicitly said the judge's ethnicity should have disqualified him for presiding over the cases.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Trump said that U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel had a conflict in the cases because the judge is “of Mexican heritage" and the mogul is espousing polarizing views on immigration.

“I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest,” Trump told the Journal, referencing his proposal to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border that his supporters have cheered but opponents have sharply criticized.

As recently as last week, Trump pointed out Curiel's ethnic background. More broadly, he has sought to undermine the Curiel's credibility as he hears cases involving former students and employees of now-defunct Trump University allege the operation was a scam that preyed on individuals. His onslaught has alarmed legal experts.

Trump has denied the claims he faces in the lawsuits against him. His campaign released a video this week featuring three former students speaking positively about their experience at the institution.

Trump made his latest comments against the backdrop of heightening anguish among Hispanic conservatives torn between loyalty to their party and unease with Trump's comments about Mexican immigrants. Trump alleged during his campaign kickoff last year that illegal immigrants from Mexico are "rapists" who are bringing "drugs" and "crime" into the country. He has also proposed deporting the millions of undocumented immigrants living in the United States.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Trump and the ‘Mexican’ Judge
Why equating ethnicity with judicial bias is so offensive.

June 5, 2016 6:56 p.m. ET
33 COMMENTS
Donald Trump keeps giving his political opponents ammunition, most recently with his continuing attacks on Judge Gonzalo Curiel, who is presiding over lawsuits against Trump University. But it’s important to distinguish between what is merely obnoxious and the truly odious in his remarks.

Mr. Trump has repeatedly attacked the judge as “unfair” and “a hater.” He has also threatened a civil case against the judge if he becomes President, adding that because Judge Curiel is “of Mexican heritage” he has “an inherent conflict of interest.” The media have offered Mr. Trump opportunities to retreat, but he keeps insisting that ethnicity disqualifies the judge from ruling fairly because the Republican favors building a wall at the U.S.-Mexican border.

Democrats and their media allies are trying to portray this as an attack on “judicial independence,” but criticizing the judiciary is neither new nor beyond the pale. Perhaps they’ve forgotten that President Obama slammed the Supreme Court for its Citizens United ruling in 2010 while the Justices were a captive audience during the State of the Union address.

Mr. Obama also contributed to the Democratic intimidation campaign against Chief Justice John Roberts ahead of the 2012 ObamaCare ruling. “I’m confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress,” the President said at an April 2012 press conference. The Chief Justice ruled as the President recommended.

We and others criticized those attacks on the judiciary at the time. If our great progressive moralists were outraged, we must have missed it. However, the left has long wanted to make progressive judges off-limits to political criticism, which explains the attempts to conflate Mr. Trump’s comments with criticizing any judge ever.

Mr. Trump is attacking Judge Curiel in a personal business case, not a political one, and as a candidate for President we think he should be above this kind of pettiness. His implied threat against the judge if he becomes President is more obnoxious, though we doubt he could do much about it in office. The political blowback would rightly be enormous.

What elevates Mr. Trump’s remarks to the reprehensible is his equation of ethnicity with bias. That truly is an attack on the independence of the judiciary because it means that a judge can be disqualified from a case merely for his personal background, rather than for any material conflict of interest.

The suit against Trump University is a classic civil fraud case that has nothing to do with ethnicity. Judge Curiel happens to be an American born in Indiana to immigrant parents, but that is of no legal import. He shouldn’t be judged by the ancestry of his parents any more than Chief Justice Roberts should be barred from ruling on religious liberty cases like the Little Sisters of the Poor because he is a Roman Catholic.

As a legal matter this is well established, notably in a 1998 case (MacDraw v. CIT ) in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. A litigant challenged the fairness of Judge Denny Chin due to his ethnicity. Judge Chin responded by slapping down the complaint and sanctioning the lawyers, and he was backed by the appellate judges. “Courts have repeatedly held that matters such as race or ethnicity are improper bases for challenging a judge’s impartiality,” wrote Judge Ralph Winter, a highly regarded conservative appointed by Ronald Reagan.
Apart from his racist implications, Mr. Trump is also indulging in the left’s habit of attributing the motivations of everyone and everything to race, class, gender and sexual orientation. Claiming that a person’s judgment is determined by his objective circumstances is a Marxist trope. Isn’t Mr. Trump supposed to be running against such thinking?

The hopeful news is that Mr. Trump’s attack on Judge Curiel’s ethnicity has been widely denounced, notably by senior Republicans including House Speaker Paul Ryan and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Unlike many of our outraged progressives, they are politically consistent. As for Mr. Trump, he should let his lawyers argue his civil case, apologize to the judge, and start talking about the economy.

D

Deuce

Was talking about the board.

Yeah I was thinking the same but the latest poll numbers are all over the place and Hillary is really unlikeable to a lot of voters.
Gotcha. I thought you were referring to your geographical area.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I don't think trump will ever really unite the republicans. But if he can lure enough disenchanted democrats that's his best chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom