Archer: Cowboys won't get caught up in early windfall

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys won't get caught up in early windfall
March, 9, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Legal tampering ends tomorrow with free agency set to begin at 4:00 p.m. ET. For the Dallas Cowboys the news has been relatively slow.

That's by design.

While they have interest in guys like Stephen Paea and Adrian Clayborn, it's more of, 'Hey, we're here if the price comes down.' For Paea, that is unlikely. For Clayborn, that's entirely possible.

The Cowboys will be in a slow-play mode.

The last time the Cowboys acted quickly in free agency came in 2012 when they quickly scooped up Brandon Carr, Mackenzy Bernadeau, Nate Livings, Kyle Orton, Brodney Pool and Dan Connor.

How did that work out for the team?

Pool never made it out of training camp. Livings and Connor lasted one. Orton lasted two. Carr and Bernadeau remain, but Bernadeau has already taken a paycut from his original deal and Carr will be asked to take one this offseason or risk being cut.

While they reached deals with Cole Beasley and Doug Free, they haven't talked with DeMarco Murray and there is nothing brewing on a long-term deal with Dez Bryant. There is nothing imminent with Carr either.

The Cowboys' plan will be similar to how they worked Free's paycut two years ago. They let the market play out and jobs were filled -- all but making sure Free would return at their price with a 50 percent cut in pay. The Cowboys can carry Carr's $12.7 million cap figure and still have a chance to sign players at the prices they want to pay.

By Tuesday morning, Jermey Parnell could have a new home (Jacksonville?) Bruce Carter could have a new home, too. Dwayne Harris could have a better opportunity as a receiver somewhere else, especially with the financial commitment made to Beasley. They have exchanged proposals with Rolando McClain. They believe they will be Justin Durant's best fit.

So far we've seen reports of the Philadelphia Eagles ready to add cornerback Byron Maxwell and running back Frank Gore. The Miami Dolphins appear set to land the biggest prize in Ndamukong Suh, who was never in the Cowboys' plan or price range. Even though the Cowboys have been up front about what their approach will be, fans have already e-mailed or tweeted concern over the lack of activity, discounting the signings of Beasley and Free.

In a matter of hours, the signings will come fast and furious, but don't expect the Cowboys to be involved unless something develops quickly with Murray or the smaller deals with some of their own free agents.

Don't freak out. Count to 10 and breathe.

Remember, the offseason is a long one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love how they use the Carr free agency as a reason why we shouldn't jump right out and sign guys. It's retarded logic. Just because we scouted guys like shit and thought we were getting something that we were not doesn't mean free agency spending is evil. It just means you shouldn't give contracts to bad players. It's like saying the Marion Barber contract means you should never sign a player to a new contract.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I think we should sign Greg Hardy. He's a very good player and may come on the cheap. I was originally on the fence / borderline against it, but I think I'm changing my tune.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hate getting lapped, but damn, there is some insane money being thrown around. Glad we are staying out for right now.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I hate getting lapped, but damn, there is some insane money being thrown around. Glad we are staying out for right now.
And the longer this goes, the cheaper guys like Hardy and Raji become.

hstour

Brand New Member
And some insane trades for a league not known for trading....

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't want to just end up bargain-basement hunting, but right now I have no problem with not throwing insane money around.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't want to just end up bargain-basement hunting, but right now I have no problem with not throwing insane money around.
We will do exactly as you said. Rummaging around the dregs, hoping we can get the next great Mincey.

I have no issue being prudent, but part of this game is that you play. Even if you don't sign guys, you could play the field.

Sorry, as lovely as last season was....this is a team lucky to get there. They need to keep that in mind.

You don't even have to sign guys. Just bringing someone in for a visit can send a powerful message.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
We will do exactly as you said. Rummaging around the dregs, hoping we can get the next great Mincey.

I have no issue being prudent, but part of this game is that you play. Even if you don't sign guys, you could play the field.

Sorry, as lovely as last season was....this is a team lucky to get there. They need to keep that in mind.

You don't even have to sign guys. Just bringing someone in for a visit can send a powerful message.
Pffft. Jerry knows we were close last year, he just needs to add some backups and special teamers....
:tippytoe

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pffft. Jerry knows we were close last year, he just needs to add some backups and special teamers....
:tippytoe
Yeah, they have a plan and are sticking to it.

That plan being waiting for the dust to settle and getting in cheap, hoping you got an overachiever.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What is your plan, out of curiosity?
I would have made sure I got my pass rusher by now. That's the main thing I would have made sure I got done because it is retarded to go into a draft needing that for many reasons.

Other than that miscue, I don't have a problem with waiting around. But I think we should have just taken a shot at a few guys like McPhee, Hughes or Sheard just to make it known that we are open for business.

I think a lot of agents and players are pretty much certain we aren't playing ball.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Give me Hardy and I'll call this a succesfull off-season
That's basically what I was getting at...get the effing pass rusher dammit. We aren't getting that guy at 27 in the draft.

Hardy would be awesome, but the problem is the fact that nobody knows if Fag Goodell is going to suspend him.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That's basically what I was getting at...get the effing pass rusher dammit. We aren't getting that guy at 27 in the draft.

Hardy would be awesome, but the problem is the fact that nobody knows if Fag Goodell is going to suspend him.
I guess he's waiting to see who signs him...
If it's the gnats he gets time served, if it's the cowboys lifetime ban.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm all for being rational and not over spending, like giving someone like Carter 5mil/yr. But there are plenty of reasonable 2nd tier guys that could fill needs who we aren't even looking at. But maybe if we sign FB Jed it'll all be good.

hstour

Brand New Member
I guess he's waiting to see who signs him...
If it's the gnats he gets time served, if it's the cowboys lifetime ban.
Well Mara does pull Goodell's strings...when he's not handing the reins over to Kraft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would have made sure I got my pass rusher by now. That's the main thing I would have made sure I got done because it is retarded to go into a draft needing that for many reasons.

Other than that miscue, I don't have a problem with waiting around. But I think we should have just taken a shot at a few guys like McPhee, Hughes or Sheard just to make it known that we are open for business.

I think a lot of agents and players are pretty much certain we aren't playing ball.
There is no realistic way we could've gotten Hughes or McPhee, so I'm fine that we didn't jump in on them. Sheard however only got 2 years, 11 million, we should've been in on that, and Fairley only getting 1 year, 5 million as well.

Right now I'd be looking at Starks, Michael Johnson and Hardy.

Top Bottom