Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pat Kirwan
NFL Insider

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Browns deal into No. 2 for Blake Bortles
March 4, 2014 12:11 pm ET

Not unlike the real NFL Draft, mock drafts take twists and turns, with top names often staying in the first round but heading to different teams, especially if there are changes at the top.

From my last mock to this one, I made 18 first-round changes but only two players dropped out: BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy and Stanford guard David Yankey. In are LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. and Fresno State QB Derek Carr.

1. Houston Texans -- South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney: His 4.53-second 40 was impressive and with JJ Watt on the other side the Texans may just get to Indy QB Andrew Luck enough to win the division in a year or two. Seattle won it all with a great defense and a young QB. The Texans can get a good QB prospect in the next few rounds.

2. Cleveland Browns (trade up from No. 4. with Rams) -- UCF QB Blake Bortles: The Browns passed on Ben Roethlisberger when he was coming out. If Houston doesn't take Bortles they have the fire power to move up and get him.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater: Johnny Manziel is the popular choice here, to sell seats, but Bridgewater is a more sensible choice and he has accuracy like Russell Wilson.

4. St. Louis Rams (trade down from No. 4 with Browns) -- Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews: Lots of speculation that the Rams will take Greg Robinson, which would be a fine pick, but Jeff Fisher and the Matthews family go back a long way and Jake can play just as well as Robinson.

5. Oakland Raiders -- Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel: Can't you just see Johnny Football in a Raiders uniform, running around and making plays and the "Black Hole" going crazy in their Manziel gear?

6. Atlanta Falcons -- Auburn OT Greg Robinson: A great pick and a 10-year starter protecting Matt Ryan's blind side. If it were me I would move up to get him.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Clemson WR Sammy Watkins: Watkins is a southwest Florida kid and the best receiver in the draft. Mike Glennon will have a great set of receivers.

8. Minnesota Vikings -- Buffalo OLB/DE Kalil Mack: The Vikings need pass rushers if Jared Allen and Everson Griffen don't return. As for a QB, take a look at the bottom of the first round.

9. Buffalo Bills -- Michigan OT Taylor Lewan: Doug Marone is an offensive line coach by trade and he knows 6-foot-8 offensive tackles with athletic ability and a nasty streak don't come along that often. EJ Manuel will be better with Lewan on the field.

10. Detroit Lions -- Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert: Gilbert had a great combine and is an impressive player on tape as well as in an interview.

11. Tennessee Titans -- Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard: Corner Alterran Verner is a free agent. If he leaves, the Titans will need an instant starter.

12. New York Giants -- UCLA OLB-DE Anthony Barr: The Giants might consider a tackle like Zach Martin here, but Barr's two-year production at UCLA plays into the Giants' drafting tendencies. Opposite a healthy Jason Pierre-Paul, Barr could see double-digit sacks as a rookie.

13. St. Louis Rams -- Texas A&M WR Mike Evans: It will be hard for Jeff Fisher to pass on a 6-foot-5 receiver who has soft hands and a 37-inch vertical leap.

14. Chicago Bears -- Alabama S Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix: Nothing has changed here in a week. The Bears have to replace Chris Conte at safety.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Louisville S Calvin Pryor: I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers take a defensive lineman like Kony Ealy here, but the hard-hitting safety fills a need as well.

16. Dallas Cowboys -- Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald: The Cowboys will be very lucky if Donald lasts until their spot. Donald was made to play in Rod Marinelli's defense. He reminds me of John Randle on the field.

17. Baltimore Ravens -- Alabama LB C.J. Mosley: The Ravens could use a receiver, but there will be good receivers later in the draft or in free agency. Ozzie Newsome is an Alabama guy and he knows he can build the defense around this young man.

18. New York Jets -- USC WR Marqise Lee: The Jets need two wide receivers and Lee is a very good place to start. Had he not been injured last season, he would have been in the top-10 discussion.

19. Miami Dolphins -- Notre Dame OT Zach Martin: Miami needs offensive linemen, and maybe this time they get the right "Martin" on the left side.

20. Arizona Cardinals -- Florida State DT Tim Jernigan: The Cardinals play hybrid defense. So, even though they are listed as a 3-4 and Jernigan is perceived as a 4-3 tackle, they will utilize his skills. Jernigan would be a rotational player as a rookie and take on a starting role in 2015.

21. Green Bay Packers -- North Carolina TE Eric Ebron: With Jermichael Finley in free agency, a tight end who has vertical skills like Ebron would make Green Bay's offense very dangerous. The Packers need defensive-line help and could consider Ra'Shede Hageman here.

22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman: At some point in the first round the best available athlete drives the bus. Hageman is a 6-6, 315-pound athlete who needs to be more consistent.

23. Kansas City Chiefs -- LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.: This is the first time I've put Beckham in the first round, but after interviewing him this week and hearing SEC defensive players tell me he was the best they faced, it was time.

24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Virginia Tech CB Kyle Fuller: Fuller had a solid combine and is a big corner. The Bengals' Leon Hall finished on IR and Adam Jones and Terrence Newman can't play forever.

25. San Diego Chargers -- Missouri DE Kony Ealy: Another example of the best player available. I have had Ealy as high as No. 15 to Pittsburgh. There's always room for big, strong down lineman.

26. Cleveland Browns -- Ohio State LB Ryan Shazier: The Browns released D'Qwell Jackson, a middle linebacker who had 140 tackles last season. They stay in-state with their second pick in the first round.

27. New Orleans Saints -- Auburn DE/OLB Dee Ford: Rob Ryan can work with lots of different types of players. Ford has pass rush skills and is athletic enough to drop into coverage.

28. Carolina Panthers -- Alabama OT Cyrus Kouandjio: Pro Bowl tackle Jordan Gross retired. Maybe Kouandjio starts out on the right side, but eventually he'll be a left tackle.

29. New England Patriots -- Notre Dame DT Louis Nix: Nix has been higher in my mock drafts, but I have watched some game tapes that create some doubt. At this spot, the Patriots would be glad to get this big space eater, considering Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly were on IR last year.

30. San Francisco 49ers -- TCU CB Jason Verrett: Verrett is short of my 2014 standards but he is a very good CB, and it could mean the end for Carlos Rogers.

31. Denver Broncos -- Notre Dame DL Stephon Tuitt: The Broncos could use some big people up front and passing on Tuitt here probably means they have little chance for a big athlete later in the draft.

32. Minnesota Vikings (trade up from 2nd round, No. 40 overall with Seattle) -- Fresno State QB Derek Carr: Always look for the Seahawks to do something different and will not take a player for the sake of taking someone. This pick is valuable to teams looking for a quarterback who don't want to go past the first round without one. We will see teams manipulate their way up to the top of the second round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Highly-Ranked QB Has Few Alarming Flaws

Posted 10 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

One of the questions I keep getting asked is not so much about the best players, but guys with some red flags or concerns.

As I work my way through these players for the upcoming NFL Draft, there are always several highly thought of prospects that if I were running a draft for a club that I would not consider for one reason or another.

I am going to start with Louisville quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater. My biggest concern with Bridgewater is despite the fact that he is an early out junior, I am not really sure how much more he can physically able to develop? Bridgewater is rail thin throughout his body and at 6-3, he does have the height but there is no definition to him at all. The club that selects him is going to need to figure out a way to add more mass to his frame, he looks frail and this scares me. I do not question his ability to accurately work the ball underneath but to make the deeper, NFL throws, those are lacking.

I have my serious doubts about Kony Ealy from Missouri and I have a chance to really be wrong about him. There are games where he does flash the ability to make plays and be disruptive off the edge. If you only had the chance to watch the Auburn game, you would think, he is a top five selection but watch him against Texas A&M and you would never know he is on the field.

I see a player that if he doesn’t beat you right off that first step, he is going to struggle to get around the corner. Have seen where he has played with really good technique, then others where didn’t show the technique nor the strength to generate any type of pressure. There were snaps where he didn’t react near quick enough off the snap and that got him in trouble.

His best trait in my opinion is his ability to fall into plays. There were times where he was clearly blocked, than somehow, he ended up making the tackle. In the running game, there are snaps where he really struggles when the ball comes right at him which is surprising because I have seen him show some shock in his punch to control the blocker.

I thought in his Florida game, he did a much better job of playing with his hands but he can be inconsistent too. Have heard some whispers from scouts around the league that you might consider adding weight to him and trying to make him a three technique in a four man line. These thoughts are most likely coming from scouts that have seen him play inside in the nickel.

What scares me the most about Ealy, is that there will be stretches during the game, where you don’t see him on the field and that is for four or five plays at a time. For me it’s hard to commit to a player that is as inconsistent as him but is out of the lineup as much as he is.

Another player that I would steer clear of for the draft is Florida State wide receiver, Kelvin Benjamin.
His best trait is his impressive size but he doesn’t have a great get off from his stance nor does he have much quickness out of his break. This is not a fast moving guy when you watch him on tape.

Really doesn’t separate when going down the field. If he didn’t have size, he would struggle to make plays. Liked him as a player in the red zone because I thought he had an understanding of how to push off to buy space and then he was able to adjust to the ball.

Has the ability to make some outstanding, adjusting catches on balls I thought he had no chance to get, then next two plays, drop balls right in his hands. Is scary how hit-and-miss he can be catching the ball.

Poor effort as a blocker, wants nothing to do with it. For his size he should be more dominate but he is not. I guarantee that people will fall in love with his size and potential but I do not see a mean, nasty receiver that you can rely on down after down so I will let some other team be a hero and draft him. There are others in this draft that are much more NFL ready.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
McShay: 2014 NFL Mock Draft 3.0
Blake Bortles goes No. 1 overall to Texans in Todd McShay's latest mock draft

The Texans have some intriguing options with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. If I had to place probabilities on the four likeliest players to go first, I'd go with this group (in no particular order): UCF QB Blake Bortles, Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater, South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney and Auburn OT Greg Robinson.

I had Clowney going to Houston in my previous mock draft, and I still think he's the best player in this class and a good shot to go No. 1. But can the Texans really afford to pass on their top-rated quarterback? And if they do select a QB, what impact does that have on the rest of the draft board and the picks each team makes?

Let's take a look, with our third mock draft for 2014, projecting all 32 first-round picks.

1Blake BortlesHouston Texans (2-14)COLLEGE: UCFAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 232POS: QB
Analysis: This is just as hard a decision for this mock draft as it was for my first back in December. I still have Clowney as the No. 1 player and Bridgewater as the No. 1 QB on my board, but I consider Bortles to be the likeliest choice. He has the prototypical size and mental makeup that Houston is looking for, and my guess is that his weaknesses -- consistency and ball placement -- are things that Texans coach Bill O'Brien thinks he can fix. (The fact that O'Brien coached previously under UCF coach George O'Leary adds a layer of familiarity, provided O'Leary endorses Bortles.) I'm sure some Texans fans will be asking about Johnny Manziel, but I don't think he really fits what O'Brien and this new regime are looking for.

PLAYER CARD
2Jadeveon ClowneySt. Louis Rams (7-9)COLLEGE: South CarolinaAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
Analysis: If Clowney doesn't go No. 1 to the Texans, the Rams will be ecstatic for two reasons: One, it would drive up the trade value for the No. 2 pick (at No. 6, the Falcons are one potential trade partner); and two, if the Rams don't get a trade offer that makes sense, they'll have the opportunity to take the best player in this draft and transform a good, young defense into an exceptional one. Yes, I know that the Rams already have a very good defensive line (and O-line was an issue last season), but in today's NFL, when you're defending the pass as much as teams are, being able to rotate your D-linemen or move a guy like Robert Quinn inside to rush the quarterback on passing downs would be a huge asset. Second down is the new third down. Greg Robinson is the pick if Clowney goes first.

PLAYER CARD
3Teddy BridgewaterJacksonville Jaguars (4-12)COLLEGE: LouisvilleAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 214POS: QB
Analysis: I think that if Clowney drops to this spot, he could be Jacksonville's choice as a guy who could come in and be a difference-maker for that defense, playing something of a hybrid role. But unless Clowney is available, I think the Jaguars will take the best QB available at No. 3. I feel as though Bortles and Bridgewater are the two likeliest options, and with Bortles off the board in this scenario, that means Bridgewater. He is the most NFL-ready and naturally accurate quarterback in this class, and he remains the top QB in our rankings.

PLAYER CARD
4Johnny ManzielCleveland Browns (4-12)COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 207POS: QB
Analysis: The mantra for the Browns is the same as for the Jaguars: take the best available QB. They'll be pulling hard for Clowney and Robinson to be among the top three picks so they have some choices here, but in this scenario the only guy among our first round-worthy QBs is Manziel. I don't know if he's an ideal fit or if he'd be the Browns' first choice, but I'm not worried about his size or arm strength as it relates to playing in cold weather. If I had to rank the top three QBs in terms of arm strength, I'd go Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles, without much difference among the three. And Manziel's 9 7/8-inch hands are plenty big enough to grip the ball in cold weather.

PLAYER CARD
5Sammy WatkinsOakland Raiders (4-12)COLLEGE: ClemsonAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 211POS: WR
Analysis: I think that if Bortles or Bridgewater drops to the Raiders at No. 5 they'd be very happy, but if not they'd love to trade back (I'm not sure that Manziel is what they're looking for at QB). This is a team with holes all over the roster, so being able to trade back and pick up a guy like trade back and pick up a guy like WR Mike Evans, CB Justin Gilbert or OT Zack Martin later while while also stockpiling extra picks would be ideal. However, if the Raiders are stuck here, I think they'll take the best player available, and in this scenario that would be either Greg Robinson or Watkins. I'll go with Watkins, who would bring big-play ability and an elite skill set at the receiver position.

PLAYER CARD
6Greg RobinsonAtlanta Falcons (4-12)COLLEGE: AuburnAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 332POS: OT
Analysis: Coming out of the combine, I wrote that the Falcons could be one of the big winners in this year's draft, and in this scenario they hit a home run. Short of Clowney falling to them at No. 6, which isn't going to happen, this is the scenario that would make the Falcons decision-makers happiest. Robinson is one of the four elite prospects in this year's class (along with Clowney, Watkins and Buffalo's Khalil Mack), and he's the most dominating offensive lineman at the point of attack that I've ever evaluated. He also has tremendous athleticism for his size, giving him the ability to hold his own in pass protection right away and the potential to be an excellent pass blocker over time.

PLAYER CARD
7Khalil MackTampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)COLLEGE: BuffaloAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 251POS: OLB
Analysis: I think that this choice would come down to Mack versus offensive tackle Jake Matthews. While in some respects Mack wouldn't fill a huge need area, as the "Sam" linebacker in Lovie Smith's defense isn't as important as some other positions, what drives up his value is his versatility. He could cover tight ends when they needed him to and he could also be an impact pass-rusher (something the Bucs lacked last season) when they turned him loose off the edge. Mack is one of the four elite players in this class, and teams need guys like him who can create turnovers.

PLAYER CARD
8Justin GilbertMinnesota Vikings (5-10-1)COLLEGE: Oklahoma StateAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 202POS: CB
Analysis: If I were to rank the two or three likeliest teams to trade out of their first-round pick, the Vikings would be right in the mix. I could see them trying to aggressively move up if one of the top QBs (say, Johnny Manziel) dropped to No. 5, and I could see them moving back if there isn't a QB available at No. 8 in an attempt to grab more picks and take a lower-rated quarterback like Jimmy Garoppolo later. But if they stay put, I think the Vikings take the best player available, either offensive tackle Jake Matthews or cornerback Justin Gilbert out of Oklahoma State. I'll go with Gilbert, the top corner prospect on our board who has excellent speed, size and playmaking ability.

PLAYER CARD
9Jake MatthewsBuffalo Bills (6-10)COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 308POS: OT
Analysis: Eric Ebron would be an interesting pick here, as would Mike Evans, because both guys are big-play weapons in the passing game with their size and ball skills. Both of whom would help young QB EJ Manuel. But I think in this scenario they'd go with a guy who can help protect Manuel in Matthews. He is versatile enough to play either tackle spot, and he's a great value here as one of the top 10 and maybe one of the top five prospects in this draft.

PLAYER CARD
10Mike EvansDetroit Lions (7-9)COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 231POS: WR
Analysis: I know that the idea of drafting a wide receiver in the first round brings back a lot of bad memories for Lions fans, but I really think that Detroit needs to add a guy who can take advantage of 1-on-1 coverage opposite Calvin Johnson and create big plays, and that's Evans. He is one of the best receivers at coming down with 50-50 balls that I've ever evaluated, and he's the most accomplished downfield receiving threat in this class. UNC tight end Eric Ebron would be another option here. Given the depth of the cornerback class, I think the Lions can wait to add a good one.

PLAYER CARD
11Anthony BarrTennessee Titans (7-9)COLLEGE: UCLAAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 255POS: OLB
Analysis: I struggled with this one, for two reasons: 1.) The Titans have a lot of options at this spot, and 2.) I'm not someone who thinks Barr has enough upside to be an early first-round pick, but there seem to be a lot of guys in the league who do. And if you are a Barr believer, he'd be a good fit in new Tennessee defensive coordinator Ray Horton's 4-3, 3-4 hybrid scheme, given his versatility to play defensive end or outside linebacker and his pass-rushing ability. Other options for the Titans include LB C.J. Mosley, OT Taylor Lewan and safeties Calvin Pryor or Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

PLAYER CARD
12Taylor LewanNew York Giants (7-9)COLLEGE: MichiganAGE: 21HT: 6-7WT: 309POS: OT
Analysis: This is another tricky one, because the two biggest need areas for the Giants, in my opinion, are offensive tackle and linebacker, and those are two positions they hardly ever use first-round picks on. They broke their tackle streak last year, selecting Justin Pugh, and I think with him on the right and Lewan on the left they'd have a significant upgrade and a pairing that can better protect Eli Manning. Lewan certainly justifies the pick from a talent standpoint, as he's long, has good experience and showcased his explosiveness at the combine.

PLAYER CARD
13Calvin PryorSt. Louis Rams (7-9)COLLEGE: LouisvilleAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 207POS: S
Analysis: Rams fans probably don't love me for taking two defensive players with their first-rounders in this mock, but they need a safety and Pryor is a good value here as the top-ranked safety on our board. He is a hammer in run support and shows good range in zone coverage. There isn't an offensive tackle worth taking at No. 13 in this scenario, so trading back might be an option as there's good depth at the position later in the first round and early in the second. They can address the skill positions later, as this is a deep draft for RBs and WRs in the middle rounds.

PLAYER CARD
14Aaron DonaldChicago Bears (8-8)COLLEGE: PittsburghAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 285POS: DT
Analysis: Donald is a perfect fit for the Bears' scheme as a 3-technique defensive tackle. I don't know if there's been a prospect who has helped his stock more during the draft process than him; he was unblockable at the Senior Bowl and that put together an unbelievable overall workout at the combine. He's shorter than prototype size, but he has long arms, a powerful upper body and creates a lot of big plays with his anticipation and quickness. FSU's Timmy Jernigan is a fit as a 3-technique as well, but Donald is a much better finisher as a pass-rusher.

PLAYER CARD
15Ha Ha Clinton-DixPittsburgh Steelers (8-8)COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 21HT: 6-1WT: 208POS: S
Analysis: I really struggled with this one, too. I think Pittsburgh's priorities should be to get younger on defense and upgrade the offensive line, but in this scenario there isn't a tackle who really justifies a top-15 pick (although Zack Martin at least merits consideration). If they trade back, nose tackle Louis Nix III could be an option, but I have enough concerns about his 2013 performance that I don't think he'd go off the board this early. So I think this pick comes down to the best available secondary player, and Clinton-Dix is a playmaker at the safety position with really good range.

PLAYER CARD
16Timmy JerniganDallas Cowboys (8-8)COLLEGE: Florida StateAGE: 21HT: 6-1WT: 299POS: DT
Analysis: Donald is a great fit here if he drops, but Jernigan brings a lot of value as a 3-technique defensive tackle in this system as well. He is very strong and quick versus the run, and I love his motor and awareness -- he just isn't as fast or smooth as Donald. The Cowboys need help all along their defensive line and in their secondary, and Jernigan could come in and make an impact.

PLAYER CARD
17C.J. MosleyBaltimore Ravens (8-8)COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 234POS: ILB
Analysis: I had the Ravens select the best player available in this scenario, which is something they have a history of doing. Linebacker isn't necessarily a need spot for Baltimore, but the team isn't set at the position, either, and Mosley would provide an upgrade as a very productive playmaker with versatility and range. How the Ravens address the offensive tackle position in free agency with Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher could have an impact on this pick, and I wouldn't totally rule out UNC tight end Eric Ebron, either -- even after the Dennis Pitta deal. Ebron would be a nice weapon for QB Joe Flacco and a good value at this spot.

PLAYER CARD
18Marqise LeeNew York Jets (8-8)COLLEGE: USCAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 192POS: WR
Analysis: This one is a no-brainer. The Jets have invested a lot of high draft picks on the defensive side of the ball in recent years, and if second-year QB Geno Smith is going to have any chance to succeed in the NFL, they need to provide him with a better supporting cast. Lee struggled in 2013 with some drops and ran a less-than-stellar 4.52 40-yard dash at the combine, but he's a big-play weapon both after the catch and on vertical routes who would be an asset to Smith in the passing game.

PLAYER CARD
19Zack MartinMiami Dolphins (8-8)COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 308POS: OT
Analysis: Offensive line was a serious problem area for the Dolphins last season, both on and off the field. They simply have to find a way to better protect QB Ryan Tannehill next season, after he was sacked a team-record 58 times, and Martin could provide immediate help -- especially in the running game, which is another issue for them. Martin has great experience and good technique, and he is a strong, tough player. His lack of ideal length limits his upside a bit, but I think he'll either develop into a solid NFL tackle or a top-level guard.

PLAYER CARD
20Darqueze DennardArizona Cardinals (10-6)COLLEGE: Michigan StateAGE: 21HT: 5-10WT: 199POS: CB
Analysis: The Cardinals could look at either Anthony Barr or Zack Martin if they drop to this spot, but in this scenario I think Dennard makes sense. He isn't the fastest guy and he has solid but not elite ball skills, but I think he is the best pure cover cornerback in this class, partly due to his great instincts. He would do well opposite Patrick Peterson, and Arizona could use some depth help depending on how things shake out in free agency.

PLAYER CARD
21Eric EbronGreen Bay Packers (8-7-1)COLLEGE: North CarolinaAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 250POS: TE
Analysis: I don't know if Ebron will last this long, but if he does then the Packers should run their pick up to the podium. He'd be a steal here in terms of value, and tight end is one of their top needs. There are some good tight ends in this class, but Ebron is at a different level in terms of his athleticism and explosiveness -- both off the line and after the catch -- and big-play ability. Aaron Rodgers would love to have this guy on his team.

PLAYER CARD
22Bradley RobyPhiladelphia Eagles (10-6)COLLEGE: Ohio StateAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 194POS: CB
Analysis: The best values at this spot for Philadelphia are going to be at cornerback -- outside linebacker and safety can wait until later, especially if the top two safeties are off the board as they are in this scenario. Roby needs to be coached up, as he got burned several times this season as a result of poor discipline, but his size, speed, athleticism and playmaking ability make him capable of developing into a shutdown corner on the outside.

PLAYER CARD
23Odell Beckham Jr.Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)COLLEGE: LSUAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 198POS: WR
Analysis: The Chiefs need to upgrade at cornerback and safety and would also like to add some D-line help, but they could also use some new weapons on offense and Beckham is a good value pick here. He and Oregon State's Brandin Cooks are vying to be the fourth wide receiver in this class, but Beckham is a little bigger and stronger than Cooks, and he's a little more dynamic in terms of his playmaking ability even though Cooks ran a faster 40 time at the combine. He could also help the Chiefs in the return game.

PLAYER CARD
24Kyle FullerCincinnati Bengals (11-5)COLLEGE: Virginia TechAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 190POS: CB
Analysis: The Bengals need a cornerback, and Fuller is a guy who turned some heads with his combine performance. The two big question marks on him had been speed and durability, but then he ran a 4.49 40 and, from what I heard, teams didn't come away with any concerns about his durability. He has good size (6-foot) and long arms and proved to be an explosive athlete based on his test results.

PLAYER CARD
25Jason VerrettSan Diego Chargers (9-7)COLLEGE: TCUAGE: 21HT: 5-9WT: 189POS: CB
Analysis: The Chargers are another team in need of 3-4 outside linebackers, but the supply is not there at this point in the first round. Cornerback is another need, and Verrett would be a great fit here, with his excellent speed, quickness and ball skills. He is lacking in size, but he plays big enough that I don't think it should be that big of a concern. San Diego can grab a pass-rusher and offensive guard in middle rounds.

PLAYER CARD
26Brandin CooksCleveland Browns (4-12)COLLEGE: Oregon StateAGE: 21HT: 5-9WT: 189POS: WR
Analysis: In this scenario, the Browns drafted Johnny Manziel at No. 4 overall, so let's give their rookie QB a weapon on the perimeter. Cooks is undersized, but he can burn; he ran the fastest 40 time among receivers at the combine and his acceleration up the field right after the catch is outstanding. He has very good ball skills and is an outstanding route runner, too, and he'd fit well opposite Josh Gordon or in the slot next to him.

PLAYER CARD
27Morgan MosesNew Orleans Saints (11-5)COLLEGE: VirginiaAGE: 21HT: 6-6WT: 314POS: OT
Analysis: The Saints have a need at corner, but I think Moses would be a tempting option at this point. Moses has very good size and length, the only question for the Saints is if they view him as a right tackle with Terron Armstead on the left side, as Moses looked a lot more natural at left tackle in 2013 than he did previously at right tackle.

PLAYER CARD
28Kelvin BenjaminCarolina Panthers (12-4)COLLEGE: Florida StateAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 240POS: WR
Analysis: The Panthers need to solidify their offensive line, especially at the left tackle spot with Jordan Gross' retirement, so I think if Moses drops here he'd be the pick. But there isn't a great value at this point, and they need receiver help as well. We have a second-round grade on Benjamin, but he's tempting because of his size and catch radius. He wouldn't have to run too many routes early on to have an impact, as you could create plenty of mismatches for him. He'd be a great red-zone weapon for Cam Newton.

PLAYER CARD
29Ra'Shede HagemanNew England Patriots (12-4)COLLEGE: MinnesotaAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 310POS: DT
Analysis: This would be a good value pick, as Hageman could go anywhere in the 20s, and he is a good scheme fit as well due to his versatility and rare size-speed combination. Hageman had a challenging upbringing, and the fact that he has persevered is a testament to him, but he's also a guy who will likely need structure around him to succeed, and he'd have that in New England.

PLAYER CARD
30Louis Nix IIISan Francisco 49ers (12-4)COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 331POS: DT
Analysis: In this scenario, a serious run on wide receivers and cornerbacks just took place (eight of the last 12 picks), so the value isn't really here for the 49ers to address either of those positions. But the Niners have 11 picks total, including two in each of the second and third rounds, so they'll have plenty of opportunities to take a receiver or corner. As for Nix, he's a good value pick as a massive nose tackle who has great mobility for his size. He struggled in 2013, but he certainly merited first-round consideration with his play in 2012.

PLAYER CARD
31Kony EalyDenver Broncos (13-3)COLLEGE: MissouriAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 273POS: DE
Analysis: Ealy is a versatile defensive lineman who would be a good value pick here. He is a better pass-rusher than a run-stopper. Like most teams right now, the Broncos have some uncertainty along their defensive front entering free agency, with a couple of unrestricted free agents and Von Miller recovering from a torn ACL. Ealy would help fill that need.

PLAYER CARD
32Xavier Su'a-FiloSeattle Seahawks (13-3)COLLEGE: UCLAAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 307POS: OG
Analysis: The Seahawks' two biggest need areas, in my opinion, are offensive line (particularly right tackle) and wide receiver, and Su'a-Filo would provide an upgrade at offensive guard. We only have a second-round grade on him, but he is a guy whose stock is rising as the draft process goes on, and he has good foot quickness and size.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
McShay Mock 3.0 reax: Cowboys
March, 6, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- ESPN Insider Todd McShay has his third mock draft available and he has the Dallas Cowboys picking a defensive tackle with the 16th pick in the first round. But not the one that has been most linked to the club so far in the offseason.

Florida State’s Timmy Jernigan is McShay’s pick in part because he had the Chicago Bears take Pitt’s Aaron Donald with the No. 14 pick, which would be crushing to some Cowboys fans who believe Donald would be the perfect guy for Rod Marinelli.

The question I would have is whether the Cowboys see Jernigan as a three technique or more of a one technique. If they think he is more of a nose tackle, then I think the Cowboys would pass on Jernigan at No. 16. If they think he can get to the passer, then they would be OK.

I can’t tell you what the Cowboys really think at this point because they don’t even know. They are in the beginning stages of the draft process.

To a degree this is the Sharrif Floyd argument from a year ago where the coaches did not feel Floyd had the pass rush they wanted to make him a first-round pick.

A one technique is a run stopper and a two-down player. For a first down pick, he better not have to come off the field in passing situations.

In McShay’s first two mocks he had the Cowboys taking Notre Dame’s Stephon Tuitt (Dec. 18) and Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Feb. 6).

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Think they would have been scared off of first round WRs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think they would have been scared off of first round WRs.
That's what people said before they took Calvin. At 10 they don't have a shot in my opinion. They will need to move up with they want Watkins.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A couple of first round WR busts over a decade ago means absolutely jack and shit to who is running the Lions right now, it's a completely different front office/coaching staff and it might as well have been the Dolphins who made those picks.

Cotton

Staff member
A couple of first round WR busts over a decade ago means absolutely jack and shit to who is running the Lions right now, it's a completely different front office/coaching staff and it might as well have been the Dolphins who made those picks.
What, you a Lions apologist now?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What, you a Lions apologist now?
I'm just making the point that a running joke amongst fans wouldn't mean a damn thing to a completely different front office 10 years later.

If those busts happened 5 years ago and were picked by this GM that'd be one thing but I'm sure their current front office doesn't even give a second thought to who the Lions drafted 10+ years ago.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bill Parcells meets with Teddy Bridgewater in Florida

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 6, 2014 at 01:41 p.m.
Updated: March 6, 2014 at 05:13 p.m.

We learned last month that Cleveland's protracted coaching search included not only a run at Jim Harbaugh but a fireside chat with Bill Parcells.

On Thursday, the Hall of Fame coach confirmed to NFL Media's Gil Brandt that he met with Browns owner Jimmy Haslam in Florida as a courtesy consultant for the team, which lines up with what Parcells told Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman before the combine.

Brandt also learned that the two-time Super Bowl winner recently sat down with Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater in Florida for more than four hours. Parcells said he came away impressed with the draft prospect's humility and football knowledge, telling Brandt that Bridgewater presented himself as a well-spoken and secure young man.

Browns coach Mike Pettine revealed this week that the team declined to interview Johnny Manziel or any quarterback at the combine. That means very little considering that Cleveland has plenty of time to fly passers in for a visit. At first blush, it would appear that Parcells is helping to get that work underway, but Brandt was told that isn't the case.

We also heard from a Browns spokesman who told Around The League that Cleveland's front office won't be taking Big Tuna's advice on Bridgewater or, for that matter, any other prospect.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Parcells.

~stares at watch, taps foot~

Cotton

Staff member
Parcells.

~stares at watch, taps foot~
Just saying the name does not actuate the signal. You have to say something like "Parcells was highly overrated" and he will come running.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just saying the name does not actuate the signal. You have to say something like "Parcells was highly overrated" and he will come running.
Fuck Parcells. There. That oughta do it for sure.

Top Bottom