The Great Police Work Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.
People shooting each other left and right. People mass shooting cops. People reaching into cop cars and shooting cops point blank. People shooting cops on random traffic stops. Yeah, war zone.

townsend

Banned
People shooting each other left and right. People mass shooting cops. People reaching into cop cars and shooting cops point blank. People shooting cops on random traffic stops. Yeah, war zone.
There have been 91 police deaths (only 40 by gunshot) in 2016, (by comparison 790 kills by cops in the same timeline).

War zones are where wars happen. Like in Syria, where 400,000 have died since 2012. No what words mean before you try and use them.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
There have been 91 police deaths (only 40 by gunshot) in 2016, (by comparison 790 kills by cops in the same timeline).

War zones are where wars happen. Like in Syria, where 400,000 have died since 2012. No what words mean before you try and use them.
Kind of like No and Know?

:tippytoe

Cotton

Staff member

Sure, there are varying scales of war. I never implied otherwise.

townsend

Banned
Sure, there are varying scales of war. I never implied otherwise.
But using the term to mean "place where violence occasionally happens" just renders it meaningless. We had two IEDs go off in New York, with no casualties. Imagine a single "war zone" country where that would be headline news. It's a big deal, and the Boston bombing was a big deal, because that kind of stuff doesn't happen here.

Keep in mind, violent crimes in this country have lowered dramatically over the last 20 years. So not only are our streets not war zones, they're much safer than they've been in recent history.

And that is the point. We have police treating relatively safe areas, (such as a random highway in Tulsa) like they're in the middle of Kabul. That irresponsible "war zone" rhetoric is costing innocent lives. Because some police are treating the US like a foreign country and its citizens as enemy combatants.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And that is the point. We have police treating relatively safe areas, (such as a random highway in Tulsa) like they're in the middle of Kabul. That irresponsible "war zone" rhetoric is costing innocent lives. Because some police are treating the US like a foreign country and its citizens as enemy combatants.
To me both sides are making the same mistake. Citizens on the BLM side are treating the streets like a warzone where every cop they encounter is a threat to murder them. Police are doing the same thing with regards to citizens. It's creating a paranoia that only feeds this monster and makes things worse.

Everyone needs to chill the F out but instead they feel like it somehow makes them important to join in on all the outrage. I agree that it's not a warzone out there and both the police and the citizens need stop acting like it is.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Maybe if the cops didn't have to fear that every guy they pullover could pull a gun...

Cotton

Staff member
To me both sides are making the same mistake. Citizens on the BLM side are treating the streets like a warzone where every cop they encounter is a threat to murder them. Police are doing the same thing with regards to citizens. It's creating a paranoia that only feeds this monster and makes things worse.

Everyone needs to chill the F out but instead they feel like it somehow makes them important to join in on all the outrage. I agree that it's not a warzone out there and both the police and the citizens need stop acting like it is.
Until our citizenship stops acting a fool, the cops have to treat every situation like it could possibly kill them. Sucks, but it is what it is. The one time you drop your guard is the one time some moron pulls out a gun and kills you.

Cotton

Staff member
That's called paranoia and isn't a justification for preemptive homocide.
You just don't quite understand what it's like that every time you pull someone over there is a possibility that you could get killed. If there weren't tons of instances of cops getting shot on random traffic stops, you might have a point. But, since there are all these instances, you don't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Until our citizenship stops acting a fool, the cops have to treat every situation like it could possibly kill them. Sucks, but it is what it is. The one time you drop your guard is the one time some moron pulls out a gun and kills you.
And I'm sure the citizenship is saying the same thing. They will stop acting a fool as soon as officers stop shootig and killing innocent unarmed people.

Do you see the problem here? You picked a side, but both sides are making the same dumb mistake. There is no right side to be on in this issue.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
And I'm sure the citizenship is saying the same thing. They will stop acting a fool as soon as officers stop shootig and killing innocent unarmed people.

Do you see the problem here? You picked a side, but both sides are making the same dumb mistake. There is no right side to be on in this issue.
Well said.

townsend

Banned
You just don't quite understand what it's like that every time you pull someone over there is a possibility that you could get killed. If there weren't tons of instances of cops getting shot on random traffic stops, you might have a point. But, since there are all these instances, you don't.
I understand that that's the paranoia that's been spread. But we only have 40 officer deaths by gunshot in the course of 2016. That's out of over 800,000 officers, and millions of stops. Odds of getting struck by lightning are 1 in 960,000. I can't imagine the "shot during traffic stop" is even as likely.

Cotton

Staff member

I have not picked a side. Police don't need to be shooting people that aren't a threat to them. I'm merely pointing out that I can see why they are on high alert.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I agree.

But one side has a loud and vocal cheering section that offers minimal critique.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Mariners suspend catcher for rest of season

The Seattle Mariners suspended Steve Clevenger without pay for the remainder of the season, moving swiftly Friday to discipline their backup catcher after his set of tweets imploring that protestors in Charlotte should be “locked behind bars like animals.”

Clevenger, 30, who has played in just 22 games this season, issued an apology Thursday night for his tweets referring to protests in North Carolina following the fatal police shooting of an African American. He will not appeal his suspension, according to a person with direct knowledge of the issue. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the matter is ongoing.

Clevenger’s tweets read:

“Black people beating whites when a thug got shot holding a gun by a black officer haha (expletive) cracks me up! Keep kneeling for the anthem!

“BLM (Black Lives Matter) is pathetic again! Obama you are pathetic once again! Everyone should be locked behind bars like animals!”

The Mariners issued a statement Thursday condemning the tweets, with general manager Jerry Dipoto noting the club is “examining all internal options available to us.”

Clevenger was making a non-guaranteed $517,000 this season; he would be eligible for salary arbitration in 2017. His suspension could be appealed by the Major League Baseball Players’ Association. For now, the suspension will cost him around $32,000. A lifetime .227 hitter in 170 games over six seasons, Clevenger batted .221 with one home run this season. He's best known for being included in trades that sent eventual ace Jake Arrieta from the Baltimore Orioles to the Chicago Cubs, and slugger Mark Trumbo from the Mariners the Orioles this past off-season.

Demonstrators in Charlotte have been protesting the death of Keith Lamont Scott, a black man who was shot and killed by police. Two officers and nine civilians were injured and 44 people arrested on Wednesday in several hours of violence that broke out following peaceful protests, prompting Gov. Pat McCrory to declare a state of emergency.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Bringing charges is great and all, but it could still come to nothing. Same thing happened with the Freddie Gray incident. I think it's a long shot this woman ever spends a day in prison.

Not that she doesn't deserve it, but I still kind of feel bad for her. She and her fellow officers were forming up like some kind of SWAT team. Shoulder to shoulder, guns drawn, on an unarmed man. The officers have been poorly trained and reacted to a non-threat like he was an armed assailant. Goes back to what I've been saying, we're blaming the officers we've trained to treat US streets like a war zone, when we should be blaming the people who've systematically forced them to act hypervigilant, and made them scared for their life on a daily basis. Getting a pound of flesh from an officer doesn't fix that.
And yet again, i ask how this event started? While it shouldn't have wound up in a shooting, how did it start?

Top Bottom