Cowboys Free Agency

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Per Rapoport, they are hosting ex-Lion DE Jason Jones today.

townsend

Banned
Per Rapoport, they are hosting ex-Lion DE Jason Jones today.
Seems like a decent guy to have in the rotation. I think we're not counting on Gregory doing a thing for us this year (or ever) which seems wise. I think Marinneli does better work with slightly above average guys rather than elite level guys. Ware, and Melton, and Hardy played poorly for him. Guys like Selvie, Lawrence, and Hatcher seem to buy into what he's doing more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Report: Dallas Cowboys to host OL Joe Looney on free-agent visit
Jeffrey Kahn - 7 minutes ago 0
Dallas Newsletter

Joe Looney is set to meet with the Dallas Cowboys.

According to ESPN's Todd Archer, the free-agent offensive lineman is scheduled to visit Valley Ranch. In addition to Looney, the Cowboys are also receiving a visit from former Lions defensive end Jason Jones.

Looney is a former fourth-round pick out of Wake Forest in 2012. After three seasons with the 49ers, Looney was released before the start of the 2015 season. One month later in October, Looney signed a new deal with the Titans where he ended up playing in eight games and made six starts.

Related: Report: Former Lions DE Jason Jones to visit Dallas Cowboys

The 6-foot-3, 315-pound offensive guard has played in 27 games and has made a total of 10 starts. The Cowboys are looking to add depth to their offensive line and the 25-year old is certainly a viable option.

(What's next in free agency and the NFL Draft for the Cowboys? Make sure you're in the loop -- take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Cowboys newsletter now!)

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Jones:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Joe Looney. Wow that name raises some memories of a local many years ago who was a football phenom. Joe Don Looney. One of the best athletes of his time but also crazy as a loon. Talk about a guy that blew up himself, he was the classic standard bearer.

Cotton

Staff member
Joe Looney. Wow that name raises some memories of a local many years ago who was a football phenom. Joe Don Looney. One of the best athletes of his time but also crazy as a loon. Talk about a guy that blew up himself, he was the classic standard bearer.
Is that why they call him Looney? :drums

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jones would be a solid get. He was really solid in Detroit 2 years ago and would be perfectly fine in a rotation. He's better than Mincey and I'd be totally fine with him as a starter in a timeshare.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jones would be a solid get. He was really solid in Detroit 2 years ago and would be perfectly fine in a rotation. He's better than Mincey and I'd be totally fine with him as a starter in a timeshare.
At this stage in free agency, can't turn your nose up on at least a vet depth player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are there any CBs remaining besides Leon Hall?
Yeah basically Leon Hall and Cromartie and then a bunch of scrubs that we shouldn't waste our time with. Hall to me is the easy choice, I'm not sure why he is even still available. He would probably be the best corner on our roster if he is healthy.

Cotton

Staff member

Ruh roh.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah basically Leon Hall and Cromartie and then a bunch of scrubs that we shouldn't waste our time with. Hall to me is the easy choice, I'm not sure why he is even still available. He would probably be the best corner on our roster if he is healthy.
You went full Ravi there.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Why? Who is better? Certainly not Carr. Obviously not Claiborne. Scandrick is the tossup depending on how that knee is.
I think both Carr and Claiborne are at least in the discussion, if Claiborne was healthy it would be easy.

I think you are vastly overrating how good Hall is at this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think both Carr and Claiborne are at least in the discussion, if Claiborne was healthy it would be easy.

I think you are vastly overrating how good Hall is at this point.
He literally ranked as the 14th best corner in football last year according to profootball focus. He has a long history of being an excellent starter.

Carr and Claiborne were in the 50's or lower. Carr hasn't had an INT in 2 freaking years and was never that good. To me it's not even a discussion unless Hall isn't healthy right now which is my only guess as to why he is still available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't Carr highly ranked when we signed him?
Can't really remember that well. He is kind of the free agents report for DB's in free agency that year. Not really glowing. Kind of funny to look back on as well.

Defensive Back

Cortland Finnegan: The Titans' feisty corner could be bound for Dallas or Tampa Bay and finally receive the payday he's been seeking. Finnegan plays with an edge and a fresh start could be good for him, even though he seems like a fixture in Tennessee.

Brandon Carr: There are mixed feelings on Carr, but he had a nice season for the Chiefs, who signed Stanford Routt after he was released by Oakland. Carr is a solid starter and plays a well-paying position. He could land a lucrative deal.

LaRon Landry: Injuries have limited the hard-hitting safety the past two seasons, which will limit his ability to get a lot of guaranteed money. He could be a steal for a team like the Vikings.

Carlos Rogers: The talented cornerback finally put it together and had a Pro Bowl season after signing a one-year deal with San Francisco. The Niners are his best fit, but they won't break the bank to retain him.

Aaron Ross: The Giants cornerback played well in the Super Bowl season. New York is thin at CB and familiarity with Ross could prompt the team to work something out. Ross won't command a ton of loot, but if the Giants don't re-sign him, he is a starter that could help a lot of teams in need.

dallen

Senior Tech
Wasn't Carr highly ranked when we signed him?
I don't remember it being called a bad signing. We needed a CB and he was one of the highest rated FAs. We paid what you pay when you go out and sign one of the best FAs. Obviously he hasn't lived up to it

Top Bottom