2015 Combine Stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah...sounds like a team is trying to get someone to trade up
I have to agree. There has been a lot of pumping him up in the last few days.

And he's buying into it with a lot of borderline arrogant comments. I know I wouldn't take him first overall and make him the face of my franchise.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I love this player.
I have to admit, I have not watched him intently. I may have to.

What's funny is I was listening to a Marvin Lewis interview yesterday and they strayed onto the RB class, he mentioned Langford first "the kid from Michigan State" and then went to Gurley, Gordon etc.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scouting Combine: Stars, busts from Day 4 media session

By Bryan Fischer
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Feb. 21, 2015 at 05:10 p.m.
Updated: Feb. 21, 2015 at 07:15 p.m.
INDIANAPOLIS -- Many of this year's top draft prospects faced bright lights and tough questions from the national media on Saturday as the NFL Scouting Combine kicked into full gear with a variety of defensive backs, linebackers, defensive linemen and others on the podium to take questions.

Who passed the test with flying colors thanks to good answers, and who might need some more PR training? Here are Day 4's winners and losers.

Winners

Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State: The big defensive lineman might have been the most entertaining player to take the podium on Saturday after a session that saw him explain everything from his Twitter strategy (keeping it clean, if you were wondering, as his mom follows him) to what position he'll be most comfortable playing in the NFL (3 technique). Buckeyes have always enjoyed Bennett's play on the field and in social media and it looks like he'll do the same in the league.

Mario Edwards Jr., DL, Florida State: As a former No. 1 recruit in high school, Edwards has been around cameras and media for a long time, but he seemed extra comfortable on the big stage during his 10 minutes Saturday. He talked quite a bit about his detailed fits at various positions along the defensive line and was honest about his best weight. His best moment was talking about how he'd love to go to the Dallas Cowboys, his hometown team and the one his father played for, but noted he will be pretty happy wherever.

Kevin White, CB, TCU: The Horned Frogs star was the king of one-liners that drew laughs. A sampling, playing off the wideout of the same name: "I would say he's 'the other Kevin White' based off, you know, we beat 'em. And I had a pretty good game, so I'm the top Kevin White." That was after he joked that he gets confused for the other guy all the time around the combine: "When I checked in they were like, 'You already checked in.' I was like, nooo."

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon: The injured defensive back was his typical self in front of a throng of media and was as comfortable as ever. He directly addressed his timetable for recovery and stayed upbeat about his injury and the prospects of his NFL career. Ekpre-Olomu added that he would play wherever teams want him and dead-panned a great line in response to a question asking if he'd rather have suffered the injury earlier so he'd be at full strength for the combine: "I probably wouldn't have rather had the injury."

Losers

Paul Dawson, LB, TCU: Dawson addressed the off-the-field concerns some teams have about him but muddled through by saying it was only a result of him being tardy and that he had time-management issues. That won't help the fact that teams are questioning his commitment to the game of football.

Max Valles, LB, Virginia: He was a surprise early entry into the 2015 NFL Draft and a lot of folks thought the 20-year-old needed another year of seasoning in order to transition quickly to the next level. He noted every team has asked him about his maturity and also said he didn't get feedback from the Draft Advisory Board because he didn't turn in the paperwork in time. Not a great impression.

Gerod Holliman, DB, Louisville: The nation's top defensive back in college has questions surrounding what he'll be able to do in the NFL and he sort of danced around specifics on how he was going to get better and address his flaws. On top of that, he muffled through his answers despite keeping them quite short.

Marcus Peters, CB, Washington: Peters denied a report that he choked a coach -- saying simply, it was "false" -- but didn't really go in-depth as to what he was doing to address concerns teams might have off the field. He was talkative generally and discussed why he can be a first-round corner, but not being open about the biggest red flag he had was a bit of a swing and a miss.
------------

I find the interview piece fascinating.

Now facing a media throng is not the same, but I think it does show what they have upstairs and how they handle adverse situations.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Seems like most think Bennett is a guy who should go in the 40ish range but I'd be happy with him at 27 because he's a perfect fit as a 3 technique. I'm guessing he's rated relatively low because he's not particularly scheme versatile but I'd argue that he's one of the best, if not the best 3 technique prospect in the draft, making him worth 27.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerral Jones and Mark Davis?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Beasley, Fowler and Harold all run sub. 4.7 40s., two sub 4.6. Very impressive.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Edwards looks good in this agility drill.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm secretly rooting for Anthony Chikilo.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Fowler, Gregory and Beasley go top ten, easy. Shane Ray as well. Dupree in the teens/20s. We might be left looking at the likes of Preston Smith or Eli Harold.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Fowler, Gregory and Beasley go top ten, easy. Shane Ray as well. Dupree in the teens/20s. We might be left looking at the likes of Preston Smith or Eli Harold.
We don't need to force DE in the 1st, it's very possible, probable even that we will have better options at DT than DE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We don't need to force DE in the 1st, it's very possible, probable even that we will have better options at DT than DE.
The only DT I think we could have a shot at that I would want is Brown. Forget the likes of Goldman, Phillips, Davis at that stage. No wikey.

D

Deuce

No matter what way we go in round 1, I'm starting to like Bobby Richardson in the 3rd/4th. He can be good depth or even start at the 3 technique or LDE.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Odighizuwa with 2 solid 40s. He is definitely someone in the mix at 27.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Top edge rushers run well in Indianapolis

Posted by Josh Alper on February 22, 2015, 11:21 AM EST

NFL teams are always looking for help rushing the passer, which should mean that we see several edge rushers come off the board early on April 30.

Some of those edge rushers had their turn in the spotlight at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis on Sunday. None of them hurt their stock during the 40-yard dash portion of the proceedings.

Florida’s Dante Fowler wore a gold watch during his sprint and was timed at 4.61, a good showing for a player who outweighs his peers at 261 pounds. Clemson’s Vic Beasley, whose 246 pounds are more than he carried during the season, was clocked at 4.53 seconds and Nebraska’s Randy Gregory came in at 4.57. Gregory is the lightest of the group from the combine at 235 pounds.

Straight ahead speed only means so much for players who have to show their ability to get around corners and through blockers without slowing down, but a bad showing wouldn’t be a positive in a competitive group that also includes Shane Ray of Missouri. Ray’s not working at the combine because of a foot injury.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Odighizuwa with 2 solid 40s. He is definitely someone in the mix at 27.
Yea especially considering how well he plays the run yet still gives you some ability to rush off the edge. Added bonus is that I think he could be Justin Tuck-like as an interior pass rusher matched up against OG's in nickel/dime.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm even starting to forget about his surgeries he looks so good...

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yea especially considering how well he plays the run yet still gives you some ability to rush off the edge. Added bonus is that I think he could be Justin Tuck-like as an interior pass rusher matched up against OG's in nickel/dime.
You can just see that he is an athlete. I don't look at times alot...I look at their athleticism, they guy is a crazy athlete. Preston Smith impressed me too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bud Dupree has blown up too. This is depressing. There is virtually no chance we get any of the top edge guys.

But hey, there might be Mr. Two Bad Hips.

Top Bottom