Machota - Mock draft roundup: Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald becoming a popular name

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mock draft roundup: Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald becoming a popular name connected with the Dallas Cowboys

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
10:39 pm on February 6, 2014 |

In this week’s installment of the Dallas Cowboys mock draft roundup, five safeties, four defensive tackles and one defensive end were mentioned in the 10 updated first-round projections.

One player that seems to be gaining momentum is Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald. At 6-0, 285 pounds, he’s considered undersized for the position at the NFL level. But an outstanding Senior Bowl performance is certainly helping his draft stock.

Three of the mocks projected Donald to be the Cowboys’ first-round pick.

The All-American and ACC Defensive Player of the Year absolutely cleaned house in the awards department during his senior season, winning Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski and Outland honors.

In 13 games, Donald finished with 59 tackles, 28.5 tackles for loss and 11 sacks. To compare, during Ndamukong Suh’s senior year, he finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting after recording 85 tackles, 24 tackles for loss and 12 sacks.

Here’s what the experts are saying.

USAToday.com’s Nate Davis:

Pick: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh.

Comment: “Donald might be the perfect addition to a line that’s charged with creating pressure without much blitz help in Dallas’ scheme.”

ESPN.com’s Mel Kiper:

Pick: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama.

Comment: “The Cowboys could use a free safety with range, good instincts and experience who can come in and play right away. Clinton-Dix provides the added bonus of being able to help out closer to the line of scrimmage.”

ESPN.com’s Todd McShay:

Pick: Clinton-Dix.

Comment: “The Cowboys’ biggest need area is their pass rush (they ranked last in the NFL in sacks per pass attempt), but it might be reaching at this point to draft a D-lineman like Missouri’s Kony Ealy or Pitt’s Aaron Donald. But safety is also a clear position of weakness — particularly in coverage — and the best one in this class is Clinton-Dix.”

CBSSports.com’s Rob Rang:

Pick: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State.

Comment: “Though he only emerged as a full-time starter at Florida State in 2013, Jernigan’s combination of burst, agility and power makes him one of the draft’s most intriguing talents.”

NFLDraftScout.com’s Dane Brugler:

Pick: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri.

Comment: “The Cowboys almost have to go defensive line with this pick, addressing either end or tackle.”

SI.com’s Doug Farrar:

Pick: Clinton-Dix.

Comment: “Dallas’ safety play has been a problem for years, and if Jerry Jones ever wants to get back to the postseason, he’s either got to wait for Roger Goodell to increase the number of postseason teams, or take a hammer and nails to his deep secondary.”

BleacherReport.com’s Matt Miller:

Pick: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville.

Comment: “Pryor’s fierce hitting style and aggressive coverage tendencies are perfect for the Dallas defense. And while defensive line help is needed, the depth there is much greater in this draft class as compared to the free safety group.”

SportingNews.com’s Eric Galko:

Pick: Donald.

Comment: “Aaron Donald is potentially the best interior defensive lineman in this draft class, and showed during Senior Bowl week that he can consistently beat NFL-level offensive linemen.”

WalterFootball.com’s Walter Cherepinsky:

Pick: Donald.

Comment: “I’ve made Donald the choice here for Dallas over Louis Nix because he’s a much better fit for the defense. The Cowboys will be sticking with the same Tampa-2 again, which means they’ll want someone like Donald over Nix.”

SBNation.com’s Dan Kadar:

Pick: Pryor.

Comment: “Pryor is a good all-around safety. He’s comfortable dropping back into coverage and breaking on the ball. But he’s an aggressive run stopper as well and a sure tackler.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Everyone is talking about Donald, so why would he fall to 17, and more importantly Jerry Jones will feel the need to outsmart popular sentiment and draft another corner for "blanket coverage".

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Donald or Jernigan will be there, people need to stop acting like such fatalistic little bitches as if they're both locks to be gone. Now if we take either one of them or not is another story.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Donald or Jernigan will be there, people need to stop acting like such fatalistic little bitches as if they're both locks to be gone. Now if we take either one of them or not is another story.
Word of the day. Props.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All it takes is one really good, reliable DL to start a turnaround. A pass rusher, a consistent linebacker, and a safety are equally critical needs.

Donald (or Jernigan) would be a fine first step. Jerry may get locked into the last of the Mohicans on the DL (the obvious need) when he should be looking at the best player on the board, preferably at one of the above positions.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
“I’ve made Donald the choice here for Dallas over Louis Nix because he’s a much better fit for the defense. The Cowboys will be sticking with the same Tampa-2 again, which means they’ll want someone like Donald over Nix.”
?

I thought T2 was predicated on two fat maulers in the middle (Sapp, McFarland). That ain't Donald.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
All it takes is one really good, reliable DL to start a turnaround. A pass rusher, a consistent linebacker, and a safety are equally critical needs.

Donald (or Jernigan) would be a fine first step. Jerry may get locked into the last of the Mohicans on the DL (the obvious need) when he should be looking at the best player on the board, preferably at one of the above positions.
That's possible but I'd be quite fine with Ealy too, I really can't see any scenario where all 3 of those guys are gone. If we went with a safety or LB in the 1st I'd be fine with it as long as we spent several of our next 3-4 picks on the DL but I really can't see any scenario where there aren't any DL available that are worth our pick.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if all three of those guys were there and we wanted to trade down a bit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
?

I thought T2 was predicated on two fat maulers in the middle (Sapp, McFarland). That ain't Donald.
It's predicated on getting pressure with the front 4, and the interior pressure generally comes from the 3-technique which is usually a 1-gap, gap-shooting, somewhat undersized but athletic/quick DT.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Ealy goes top ten, BTW, especially with Lovie Smith drafting 7th. I mean, he'd be terrific addressing both power and pass rushing (Dallas' #1 defensive need). I like Ealy over Donald or Jernigan by a mile for that reason, though I'd be happy with any of the above. Problem is he'll be long, long gone.

Then Dallas' linebacking corps is just as bad as the DL. This draft has a lot of 3-4 OLB pass rushers types and I agree many may fall into the 2nd round. I'd be happy with most of them as 4-3 OLBs. There would be depth and competition at that spot then with Durant and Wilber. I wish we could turn back the clock and incinerate that stupid Sean Lee contract. WTF was Jerry thinking?

The major infusion of talent four players represents is beyond most GM's capabilities for a single offseason and definitely outside of Jerry's.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Ealy goes top ten, BTW, especially with Lovie Smith drafting 7th. I mean, he'd be terrific addressing both power and pass rushing (Dallas' #1 defensive need). I like Ealy over Donald or Jernigan by a mile for that reason, though I'd be happy with any of the above. Problem is he'll be long, long gone.

Then Dallas' linebacking corps is just as bad as the DL. This draft has a lot of 3-4 OLB pass rushers types and I agree many may fall into the 2nd round. I'd be happy with most of them as 4-3 OLBs. There would be depth and competition at that spot then with Durant and Wilber. I wish we could turn back the clock and incinerate that stupid Sean Lee contract. WTF was Jerry thinking?

The major infusion of talent four players represents is beyond most GM's capabilities for a single offseason and definitely outside of Jerry's.
Disagree on Ealy. A lot.

I would get it if he was Aldon Smith but he isn't.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There is alot of talent at the traditional positions taken high in drafts.

You have Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles at QB, all 3 of them will go before we pick. At OT you have Robinson, Lewan and Matthews, again, all 3 will go before we pick. Clowney and Watkins are both stone cold locks, that makes it 8 guaranteed guys to go before we pick.

That leaves either 8 or 9 picks before we pick, with at least 5 prime targets available in Barr, Mack, Jernigan, Donald and Ealy.

I really wouldn't worry too much about one of those 5 being there when you consider I haven't even named guys like Mike Evans, CJ Mosley, Zack Martin, etc.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We generally thought at least one of the guards would be there last year and it turned out they weren't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We generally thought at least one of the guards would be there last year and it turned out they weren't.
I would have really liked either guy, but I think the end result was actually the best. Frederick was a massive boost to the O-line and Williams is our starting WR this upcoming season. Both guys have probowl caliber potential.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
OG's like Cooper and Warmack can generally play in any scheme, Donald and Jernigan will only be taken in the top 20 or so picks by 4-3 team, perhaps only Tampa-2 disciple teams at that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jernigan keeps getting sold as the same kind of penetrating 3-tech. Sorry, I don't see it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Disagree on Ealy. A lot.

I would get it if he was Aldon Smith but he isn't.
Clowney, who will go top five is the Aldon Smith of this draft. At 17 we can't be choosy. Ealy has measurables his teammate Mike Sam (who'd make a perfect Steeler) doesn't. Ealy draws double teams and consistently makes plays.

Outside of Clowney there's no better fitting 4-3 pass rusher in this draft than Ealy and he has the size to play either DE position.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Clowney, who will go top five is the Aldon Smith of this draft. At 17 we can't be choosy. Ealy has measurables his teammate Mike Sam (who'd make a perfect Steeler) doesn't. Ealy draws double teams and consistently makes plays.

Outside of Clowney there's no better fitting 4-3 pass rusher in this draft than Ealy and he has the size to play either DE position.
Aldon Smith was not exactly hailed as a top of the draft type guy as Clowney is.

Top Bottom