Redskins stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
:lol

Byron Jones isn't a playmaker so I won't expect much.

I guess the most positive thing you can say about him is that he's at least around the ball and not beaten and abused very often. There's value in that. Not "he was worth the 1st round pick" value, but value nonetheless.
Booze, you've logged into the wrong account.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Why is a #1 pick always give this exalted status.

Yeah every guy drafted in the 1st round is a playmaking difference maker on his team.

Go back and look at the guys drafted after 20 in the 1st over the last 3 drafts and tell how many of those guys are "worth" a 1st round pick.
A #1 pick is real reflection of your teams scouting and slotting of players and positions. Rookies are counted on more and more every year and with the way rookie contracts are structured you'd love to get immediate production from them...fairly cheap labor. Gives a real look at how your team grade out players.

The guys picked after 20 last year still have some proving to do, but the 2014 group was excellent...and also taught some hard lessons. There were excellent and productive players like Kelvin Benjamin, Bradley Roby, Deone Buchanan, Teddy Bridgewater, Brandin Cooks, and Haha Clinton-Dix.

There were just flatout misses, none bigger than Johnny Manziel.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Why is a #1 pick always give this exalted status.

Yeah every guy drafted in the 1st round is a playmaking difference maker on his team.

Go back and look at the guys drafted after 20 in the 1st over the last 3 drafts and tell how many of those guys are "worth" a 1st round pick.
My problem with the Jones pick is that he wasn't even in a playmaker in college. So they went into the draft knowing that the kid didn't make many plays on the ball. Fell in love with his combine workout.....the rest is history.

The guy didn't even make an All-Conference team.....1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Not once in 4 years at UConn.

Maybe our standards are different but I want my 1st round pick to at least show some type of production at the collegiate level. Make an all-conference team or something.

1bigfan13

Staff member
A #1 pick is real reflection of your teams scouting and slotting of players and positions. Rookies are counted on more and more every year and with the way rookie contracts are structured you'd love to get immediate production from them...fairly cheap labor. Gives a real look at how your team grade out players.

The guys picked after 20 last year still have some proving to do, but the 2014 group was excellent...and also taught some hard lessons. There were excellent and productive players like Kelvin Benjamin, Bradley Roby, Deone Buchanan, Teddy Bridgewater, Brandin Cooks, and Haha Clinton-Dix.

Key word: PRODUCTIVE.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Roby and Dix have 6 combined int's since 2014 that's averaging 1.5 int's a year.

Not exactly "playmaking" I have no issue with either player but it shows what the norm is for a guy drafted in that range or most safeties for that matter.

Considering its the 1 game of his 2nd season nobody really knows what he is capable of.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Key word: PRODUCTIVE.
He has played exactly 1 game in his 2nd season and he was shown some real coverage ability already.

It seems you are still upset with the pick and are ignoring anything he has done already.

He played Gronk pretty well last year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Roby and Dix have 6 combined int's since 2014 that's averaging 1.5 int's a year.

Not exactly "playmaking" I have no issue with either player but it shows what the norm is for a guy drafted in that range or most safeties for that matter.

Considering its the 1 game of his 2nd season nobody really knows what he is capable of.
There were plenty of players I listed that were productive 1st round picks. Why you are only focused on ints, no idea. Benjamin and Cooks did not have any ints either...bust.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He doesn't get picks, touch the ball in flight, or lay anybody out. OTOH, he's not getting burned deep. He's just sort of .. there.

1bigfan13

Staff member
He doesn't get picks, touch the ball in flight, or lay anybody out. OTOH, he's not getting burned deep. He's just sort of .. there.
Which is pretty much what I said but for some reason Jiggy is not getting that.

I didn't say he sucks but for your 1st round pick, especially at a DB position, you'd expect a little more bang for your buck.

If he were a 3rd round pick I'd have no problem at all. But I have a serious problem targeting guys like Jones in the first round.

All the evidence was there, the Cowboys just chose to ignore it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There were plenty of players I listed that were productive 1st round picks. Why you are only focused on ints, no idea. Benjamin and Cooks did not have any ints either...bust.
I was just highlighting the safeties which were relevant to the discussion.

And I never claimed those guys were busts so I don't know what that even means.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Which is pretty much what I said but for some reason Jiggy is not getting that.

I didn't say he sucks but for your 1st round pick, especially at a DB position, you'd expect a little more bang for your buck.

If he were a 3rd round pick I'd have no problem at all. But I have a serious problem targeting guys like Jones in the first round.

All the evidence was there, the Cowboys just chose to ignore it.
Actually you should not expect a little more bang for your buck just look at what you usually get from 1st round safeties overall let alone guys drafted at the end of the 1st round.

Who are these game changing safeties you see getting picked in the 1st every year?

Woodson averaged less than 2 int's a year over his career and Jones ability to play in the slot is looking very much like what Woodson did for us.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Actually you should not expect a little more bang for your buck just look at what you usually get from 1st round safeties overall let alone guys drafted at the end of the 1st round.

Who are these game changing safeties you see getting picked in the 1st every year?

Woodson averaged less than 2 int's a year over his career and Jones ability to play in the slot is looking very much like what Woodson did for us.
Thank you for making my point.

We should have drafted another position, DL preferably, and targeted a safety in the 2nd or 3rd round.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
What they need to do is what the Steelers did, just play zone and force Cousins to make short, accurate passes all night long. Double cover Jackson early and often, hopefully frustrate him into committing a couple personal fouls.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are people really down on Jones? His coverage is excellent and rarely gives up completions. I'd love to see a ton of picks but 3 - 5 Ints over the course of a season isn't as important as shutting guys down.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Are people really down on Jones? His coverage is excellent and rarely gives up completions. I'd love to see a ton of picks but 3 - 5 Ints over the course of a season isn't as important as shutting guys down.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean he hasn't been a playmaking safety yet but I'll take him over Wilcox any day.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jesus, Dez might not be all- pro but he's a damned good football player who makes plays.

You just have to try to get him the football. Any OC who would allow that runt imposter Beasely more targets than Dez should be strangled, rookie QB or no.

Beasely gets TE yards, TE averages, and runs TE routes. He just can't block, leap, and apparently likes to drop passes.

If this retard takes any more PT from Brice Butler, RHG needs to be put to sleep.

Beasely should play 3rd down, that's all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Redskins completely undervalued Morris. Matt Jones is nice and all, but after that they have a whole bunch of feh at RB.
Matt Jones is not very good, you can find backs like him second string all over the league. I have a feeling they will regret handing him the starting job just like we did with Joseph Randle last season.

Not that he's a nut, but Jones is just not that good. And the thing is, he wasn't even that impressive last year to deserve the walk on starter status.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Redskins-Cowboys injury report: Spaight, Reyes out vs. Cowboys

By Rich Tandler September 16, 2016 3:01 PM

Redskins

Out

DE Kendall Reyes (groin)—He practiced full on Wednesday but was out Thursday. Reyes played 17 snaps against the Steelers after missing some practice last week. They have signed another D-lineman in Cullen Jenkins so they still have enough bodies to fill out the rotation.

ILB Martrell Spaight (concussion)—This came as a surprise and it is a concern for both Sunday and the long term. Jay Gruden said that Spaight started to feel some dizziness and they are in the process of checking him out. The concern stems from the fact that Spaight was on injured reserve all of last year with lingering concussion symptoms.

Questionable

Trent Williams (glute)—This injury happened in practice on Thursday and he sat out practice on Friday. In the locker room Williams said he was confident that the injury would not keep him out against the Cowboys.

WR Josh Doctson (Achilles)—The top draft pick surprised most by making his NFL debut in Week 1. The word was that he might spend at least a week or two inactive after spending all of training camp and the preseason schedule on the PUP list. He should be good to go.

DE Chris Baker (rib/elbow)—He was limited some days is practice this week. Like Williams he said that the injury would not keep him out of the game.

ILB Su’a Cravens (hip)—This one popped up today. It doesn’t appear to be anything serious but we will continue to monitor.

Not listed on injury report

RB Matt Jones (shoulder)—Jones played against the Steelers and while his workload was light he emerged on good shape.

OT Morgan Moses (knee)—The right tackle appeared somewhat gimpy as he left the locker room on Monday night and he was wearing a knee brace during practice this week. But he was a full go in practice on Thursday and Friday and he is good to go.

Cowboys

Out

QB Tony Romo (back)—The quarterback is slated for a midseason return so he should be under center when the rematch takes place on Thanksgiving Day.

LB Mark Nzeocha (Achilles)—The reserve linebacker did not practice all week.

DE Charles Tapper (back)—Although not a starter, Tapper is a part of the D-line rotation. Some believe he will push for a starting job when healthy.

Questionable

CB Orlando Scandrick (hamstring)—He missed some snaps during Giants game with the hamstring. He is likely to play but perhaps on a reduced workload due to the injury.

DE Jack Crawford (shoulder)—The starting DE has been full go in practice the last two days and he should be good to go.

TE Geoff Swaim (ankle)—Was full in practice on Thursday and Friday.

G Ronald Leary (groin)—Has been full in practice all week.

townsend

Banned
Jesus, Dez might not be all- pro but he's a damned good football player who makes plays.

You just have to try to get him the football. Any OC who would allow that runt imposter Beasely more targets than Dez should be strangled, rookie QB or no.

Beasely gets TE yards, TE averages, and runs TE routes. He just can't block, leap, and apparently likes to drop passes.

If this retard takes any more PT from Brice Butler, RHG needs to be put to sleep.

Beasely should play 3rd down, that's all.
Dez is absolutely an all-pro caliber talent. Larry Fitzgerald had a couple of down years too. Right now Dez is in his version of the Kevin Kolb era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom