Quarterback Tony Romo's back injury is worse than anticipated.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yes is the answer.
The Cowboys will sign a veteran to replace Showers as the No. 2 quarterback, but it will be Prescott's show to run Week 1 against the New York Giants.

Dak Prescott will be the Week 1 starter, as the Dallas Cowboys are merely searching for a veteran backup in Tony Romo's absence, David Moore of the Dallas Morning News reports.

While initially hesitant to rule Romo (back) out for Week 1, the Cowboys now seem to be on board with the 6-to-10 week timeline that accompanies a compression fracture of the L1 vertebrae. Kellen Moore (broken ankle) is expected to be out for even longer than Romo, leaving Prescott and 2015 undrafted free agent Jameill Showers as the only healthy quarterbacks on the roster.

Prescott, a fourth-round draft pick this spring, has exceeded the most optimistic of expectations in preseason, completing 39 of 50 passes for 454 yards and five touchdowns. He has also run for two touchdowns and has no fumbles or interceptions.
Though he won't be able to match Romo's accuracy as a passer, Prescott does have the benefit of playing with Dez Bryant, Ezekiel Elliott and a tremendous offensive line.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Yeah, I'm kind of excited to see this unfold myself... I said the other day that it looks like God is finally taking matters into his own hands (not that the almighty would hurt someone purposefully), but sometimes "things" are allowed to happen so that his greater plan can be revealed. Young offensive line, dynamic rookie running back, young stud WR... let Dak and this offense grow together. Let's just hope that old man river can string together a few more quality seasons, I would hate for this team to get to the promised land and Witten not be there to collect his prize.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It will be jerk off city if we have a come to Jesus moment similar to the Bledsoe/Brady situation in NE.

shane

DCC 4Life
It will be jerk off city if we have a come to Jesus moment similar to the Bledsoe/Brady situation in NE.
It would be awesome. Even if Dak turns out to be crap, we all must hope that this is the final chapter of the Romo saga. He was a choker and now his back is toast. It's time to move on.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The next question is, do the Cowboys let Dak play in the final preseason game.

I know he needs the reps but I'm inclined to say no.

No sense in sending him out there and exposing him to hits from overzealous fringe players who will be working their ass off to make the final cut.
He needs to play most if not all of that game.

He's not just a rookie starting the season opener, he's a 4th round rookie -- meaning, he obviously lacked a lot of the polish and skills you'd hope for in a prospect.

These last few weeks have been great, but it's the preseason. He needs every rep of live fire he can get.

Play the kid.

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

He's not just a rookie starting the season opener, he's a 4th round rookie -- meaning, he obviously landed a lot of the polish and skills you'd hope for in a prospect.

These last few weeks have been great, but it's the preseason. He needs every rep of live fire he can get.

Play the kid.
I agree he needs reps but I pull him after a series or two, noway I put him out there with our scrub backup ol

Jiggyfly

Banned

He's not just a rookie starting the season opener, he's a 4th round rookie -- meaning, he obviously landed a lot of the polish and skills you'd hope for in a prospect.

Play the kid.
Play most of the game?

That is just exposing him to hits by players desperately trying to make a team.

Nothing in this game is going to miraculously get him ready for the season he still will not be going against a gameplan and against inferior talent.

If he gets hurt it sets us back as far as evaluation, let's face it we are not contenders and playing Dak in a meaningless pre season is not going to tip the scale either way.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Also what is going to learn throwing to Jones, Smith and Street?

Should we play Dez, Beasley, Witten and Williams the whole game as well?

marsbennett

Brand New Member
I am too. It's something new and exciting.

Even with a healthy Romo this team was likely only winning 7 or 8 games.

If another 8 win season is the payoff, and it likely was, I'd rather try to build for the future with a young promising player.
Amen. Better find Dak's backup.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Let's call this project Myles Garrett.

I think Dak is probably too good to have us picking top 5 though even if Romo misses the whole year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It doesn't bother me whatever they say. Whatever happens will happen organically regardless.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Let's say Dak plays like he has in preseason during Romos absence. He's kicking fucking ass with a close to 100 QB rating. I don't see how Romo take the job back. But this is Dallas.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Let's call this project Myles Garrett.

I think Dak is probably too good to have us picking top 5 though even if Romo misses the whole year.
:towel

I don't see him going lower than 2 and that's if Watson has a great year.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Just imagine if Moore hadn't been injured. We'd be looking at him starting the first 6-10 games of the year :lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just imagine if Moore hadn't been injured. We'd be looking at him starting the first 6-10 games of the year :lol
Exactly.

That is what gives me zero faith in this staff. Were it not for that, Prescott would have been buried behind a complete schlub all camp.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Play most of the game?

That is just exposing him to hits by players desperately trying to make a team.

Nothing in this game is going to miraculously get him ready for the season he still will not be going against a gameplan and against inferior talent.

If he gets hurt it sets us back as far as evaluation, let's face it we are not contenders and playing Dak in a meaningless pre season is not going to tip the scale either way.
He is going to be exposed to hits anyway. It doesn't matter if it's next week or the week after. He needs work more than he needs protection.

Top Bottom