The Great Police Work Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
Very true.

And the Dallas police department should be a model for all policing they are doing great things.

Which makes it all the more sad that this had to happen to them.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Shetamia Taylor, the 37-year-old woman who helped protect her four sons from bullets during an ambush-style shooting on police at a protest march in Dallas, broke down into tears today as she told the story of how she survived the carnage of that night.

Taylor said she heard two gunshots when the shooting began Thursday night, and then saw an officer fall to the ground.

"He said, 'He has a gun, run,'" Taylor recalled, before choking up with tears.

"I was running behind them and I felt the bullet in the back of my leg," she said, pausing to gather her emotions. "My son went to grab me but I was already shot so I grabbed him and lay on top of him. Police asked was anybody hit, because he didn't know I was shot. I said yes, but not loud enough because I didn't want my son to hear. The officer got on top of me and covered me and my son. Another cop [was] at my feet and another [stood] by us and they protected us. I saw another officer get shot in front of me."

Taylor said that a the majority of the officers who shielded her were white, and said the experience made her "admiration for police greater," while acknowledging that she always admired the efforts of law enforcement.

Officials say Micah Xavier Johnson killed five police officers and wounded seven others during the shooting Thursday night. Johnson was eventually killed when police sent a bomb-carrying robot into the building where he was holed up, after negotiations to get him to surrender failed, police said.

"Why would he do that?" Taylor said, fighting tears.

"I've never heard anything like that before," she said of the shooting. "Hundreds of rounds. There were shots all around us. I'm thankful for the police because they had no regard for their life and protected us."

Taylor said that she decided to bring her children to the protest after speaking about the police shooting deaths of two black men, Alton Sterling in Louisiana and Philando Castile in Minnesota. Throughout the press conference, she struck a balance between acknowledging the need to protest such incidents and expressing her gratitude to the police for their help in saving her life and the life of her children.

"I'm so thankful," she said, referring to the police. She said she "never stopped praying" for the safety of her four boys.

"Thank you for being heroes," she said to police today.

In one affecting moment, Taylor recalled being in the hospital, and hearing that her children had survived the shooting, only to overhear an officer tell another officer that a colleague had died.

"I saw an officer tell another officer that an officer didn't make it, and I [was] celebrating my kids," she said, stopping to hang her head and weep. "[Celebrating] my kids being alive.

"It hurt," she said, referring to news of the officer's death.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Shetamia Taylor, the 37-year-old woman who helped protect her four sons from bullets during an ambush-style shooting on police at a protest march in Dallas, broke down into tears today as she told the story of how she survived the carnage of that night.

Taylor said she heard two gunshots when the shooting began Thursday night, and then saw an officer fall to the ground.

"He said, 'He has a gun, run,'" Taylor recalled, before choking up with tears.

"I was running behind them and I felt the bullet in the back of my leg," she said, pausing to gather her emotions. "My son went to grab me but I was already shot so I grabbed him and lay on top of him. Police asked was anybody hit, because he didn't know I was shot. I said yes, but not loud enough because I didn't want my son to hear. The officer got on top of me and covered me and my son. Another cop [was] at my feet and another [stood] by us and they protected us. I saw another officer get shot in front of me."

Taylor said that a the majority of the officers who shielded her were white, and said the experience made her "admiration for police greater," while acknowledging that she always admired the efforts of law enforcement.

Officials say Micah Xavier Johnson killed five police officers and wounded seven others during the shooting Thursday night. Johnson was eventually killed when police sent a bomb-carrying robot into the building where he was holed up, after negotiations to get him to surrender failed, police said.

"Why would he do that?" Taylor said, fighting tears.

"I've never heard anything like that before," she said of the shooting. "Hundreds of rounds. There were shots all around us. I'm thankful for the police because they had no regard for their life and protected us."

Taylor said that she decided to bring her children to the protest after speaking about the police shooting deaths of two black men, Alton Sterling in Louisiana and Philando Castile in Minnesota. Throughout the press conference, she struck a balance between acknowledging the need to protest such incidents and expressing her gratitude to the police for their help in saving her life and the life of her children.

"I'm so thankful," she said, referring to the police. She said she "never stopped praying" for the safety of her four boys.

"Thank you for being heroes," she said to police today.

In one affecting moment, Taylor recalled being in the hospital, and hearing that her children had survived the shooting, only to overhear an officer tell another officer that a colleague had died.

"I saw an officer tell another officer that an officer didn't make it, and I [was] celebrating my kids," she said, stopping to hang her head and weep. "[Celebrating] my kids being alive.

"It hurt," she said, referring to news of the officer's death.
Wow, just so damn sad. Those people will never ever be the same.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The gunman who killed five police officers in Dallas, identified as Micah Xavier Johnson, displayed a noticeable change in behavior after being discharged from the U.S. Army in 2015, the shooter’s parents told TheBlaze in an exclusive interview set to air later this week.

The family of Dallas shooter Micah Johnson speaks out for the first time since the attack that left five police officers dead.
After refusing to speak to the media, the family reached out personally to TheBlaze’s Lawrence Jones after seeing him on television. On Sunday, Jones sat down with Johnson’s parents and stepmother at the mother’s Mesquite, Texas, home where investigators said they found rifles, ammunition, “bomb-making materials” and a journal of combat tactics.

Delphine Johnson, the gunman’s mother, said she watched her son transform from a fun-loving extrovert into a “hermit” after his military service, which spanned roughly six years and included a seven-month deployment to Afghanistan. While the parents couldn’t recall their son mentioning any particular incident that may have been traumatic during his time as a U.S. Army reservist, they agreed something had changed.

Growing up as a kid, Johnson actually wanted to be a police officer and later became “gung-ho” about enlisting the military, the mother recalled.

Investigators leave the home of Micah Johnson in the Dallas suburb of Mesquite, Texas, Friday, July 8, 2016. A Texas law enforcement official identified Micah Johnson, 25, as the sniper that opened fire on police officers in the heart of Dallas during protests over two recent fatal police shootings of black men. (AP Photo/LM Otero)
Investigators leave the home of Micah Johnson in the Dallas suburb of Mesquite, Texas, Friday, July 8, 2016. A Texas law enforcement official identified Micah Johnson, 25, as the shooter that opened fire on police officers in the heart of Dallas during protests over two recent fatal police shootings of black men. (AP Photo/LM Otero)
“He loved his country,” she said. “He wanted to protect his country.”

But Johnson’s idealism seemed to fade away over time, and was replaced by disappointment and resentment toward the government.

“The military was not what Micah thought it would be,” Delphine said. “He was very disappointed, very disappointed. But it may be that the ideal that he thought of our government, what he thought the military represented, it just didn’t live up to his expectations.”

Johnson’s father, James Johnson, 55, said it was then that his son began thoroughly studying black history and started expressing interest in his heritage. His Facebook page, now deleted, featured photos of a “black power” fist and a red, black and green Pan-African flag, both symbols of black empowerment. He also “liked” two groups known for race-based extremism: The New Black Panther Party and the African American Defense League.

The family members said Johnson never showed any outward signs of hatred for white people or any other racial groups. Johnson’s stepmother, Donna, is white. What he did hate was “injustice,” Delphine Johnson said.

But Johnson’s festering anger seemed to boil over after the recent police-involved shootings of black men in Minnesota and Louisiana.

Micah Johnson (Image source: screen grab from Facebook)
Micah Johnson (Image source: screen grab from Facebook)
In Falcon Heights, Minnesota, a police officer fatally shot Philando Castile during a traffic stop. Castile’s girlfriend claimed he was reaching for his ID after informing the officer he was licensed to carry a gun when he was shot. In Baton Rouge, another police officer shot and killed Alton Sterling during a physical altercation.

During a Black Lives Matter protest march on July 7, Johnson opened fire on officers in downtown Dallas, killing five and wounding seven others. He said he wanted kill white cops as retribution for recent officer-involved shootings, according to police.

Following a lengthy standoff inside a parking garage, police killed Johnson using a bomb delivered by a robot early Friday morning.

The gunman’s grief-stricken father broke down in tears as he struggled to understand why his son would commit such a horrific act of violence.

“I don’t know what to say to anybody to make anything better. I didn’t see it coming,” Johnson said. “I love my son with all my heart. I hate what he did.”

Cotton

Staff member
Another shooting outside a courthouse in Michigan. 2 bailiffs dead, a cop shot and the shooter is dead. God damn, man.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The gunman who killed five police officers in Dallas, identified as Micah Xavier Johnson, displayed a noticeable change in behavior after being discharged from the U.S. Army in 2015, the shooter’s parents told TheBlaze in an exclusive interview set to air later this week.
So, what...PTSD made him do it?

Cotton

Staff member

:picard

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:picard

kidd

DCC 4Life
I never defended the group BLM I defended the slogan, your ability to understand that shows how hypersensetive you are.
So now I can go around and yell "WHITE POWER!" because, you know, it's just a slogan and stuff. It's not like it's tied to any hate groups or such!

I see you also ignored that I said several times the movement is currently a negative on the ongoing issue and should be replaced.

So actually debate something I actually said instead of accusing me of doing something I have not done.
No I didn't ignore you pussyfooting around the issue and refusing to call this so called "movement" what it really is: a hate group.

Who's really the hypersensitive one here??

You're so damn sensitive about going against your own race that you can't even call them out for what they are!

In reference to your other reply, I know what she said. If you want to prove me wrong, you pull up the transcript of what she said.

And yes our president does weigh in on every matter concerning race. I don't need to see why he says the things he does because I already know why. It's because he's a race baiting piece of crap wh has done nothing but divide this country.

But yet you're gonna defend everything he does. Why?? Because you happen to share the same skin color!

Andrew Jackson was a white man from my home state of Tennessee but that doesn't stop me from calling him out on being a bigot who is responsible for the Trail of Tears and he damn near bankrupted this country.

See how easy it is?

Grow a set and call things what they are.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So now I can go around and yell "WHITE POWER!" because, you know, it's just a slogan and stuff. It's not like it's tied to any hate groups or such!

No I didn't ignore you pussyfooting around the issue and refusing to call this so called "movement" what it really is: a hate group.

Who's really the hypersensitive one here??

You're so damn sensitive about going against your own race that you can't even call them out for what they are!

In reference to your other reply, I know what she said. If you want to prove me wrong, you pull up the transcript of what she said.

And yes our president does weigh in on every matter concerning race. I don't need to see why he says the things he does because I already know why. It's because he's a race baiting piece of crap wh has done nothing but divide this country.

But yet you're gonna defend everything he does. Why?? Because you happen to share the same skin color!

Andrew Jackson was a white man from my home state of Tennessee but that doesn't stop me from calling him out on being a bigot who is responsible for the Trail of Tears and he damn near bankrupted this country.

See how easy it is?

Grow a set and call things what they are.
I have already called out BLM how do you keep missing that?

I have said that my race has a lot to account for in this very thread as well, how is that being too sensitive.

I see you too hypersensitive to the words BLM to actually read and understand anything I have said in here.

You seem to be incapable of actually reading anything I have actually said on these matters and seem more comfortable railing against Obama amd BLM.

I have called out Sharpton and Jackson on many occasions and also the hitwits that were going after Aikman so don't try and paint me as not being able to call things the way they are.

And here is the transcript of the speech you have so much issue with.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/06/03/remarks-first-lady-city-college-new-york-commencement

Public education is our greatest pathway to opportunity in America. So we need to invest in and strengthen our public universities today, and for generations to come. (Applause.) That is how you will do your part to live up to the oath that you all will take here today –- the oath taken by generations of graduates before you to make your city and your world “greater, better, and more beautiful.”

More than anything else, graduates, that is the American story. It’s your story and the story of those who came before you at this school. It’s the story of the son of Polish immigrants named Jonas Salk who toiled for years in a lab until he discovered a vaccine that saved countless lives. It’s the story of the son of immigrant -- Jamaican immigrants named Colin Powell who became a four star general, Secretary of State, and a role model for young people across the country.

And, graduates, it’s the story that I witness every single day when I wake up in a house that was built by slaves, and I watch my daughters –- two beautiful, black young women -– head off to school -- (applause) -- waving goodbye to their father, the President of the United States, the son of a man from Kenya who came here to American -- to America for the same reasons as many of you: To get an education and improve his prospects in life.

So, graduates, while I think it’s fair to say that our Founding Fathers never could have imagined this day, all of you are very much the fruits of their vision. Their legacy is very much your legacy and your inheritance. And don’t let anybody tell you differently. You are the living, breathing proof that the American Dream endures in our time. It’s you.
Why you have such an issue with here believing in the American dream is beyond me, she did not only use slaves as an example.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I am becoming more sympathetic to the victims in these cases as time goes by, but I don't get the outrage here. Cops aren't allowed to take note of and make IDs based on unique facial features because of their association with stereotypes? Have you seen the guy's nose? It is pretty wide by any standard.

Cotton

Staff member
I am becoming more sympathetic to the victims in these cases as time goes by, but I don't get the outrage here. Cops aren't allowed to take note of and make IDs based on unique facial features because of their association with stereotypes? Have you seen the guy's nose? It is pretty wide by any standard.
Discrimination!!!

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
That's not the only concern it was one example.

And if you don't understand how enslavement and then 100 years of segregation and systematic discrimination and oppression would affect my life I don't know what to tell you.

I guess in your mind once the Civil War was over everybody was playing under the same rules.
How old are you and when were you specifically suffering these historical ills? At some point we need to recognize history and then work to get over it. I understand years of police treated minority people poorly and I also know the history of minorities in police work. I can't do anything about the historical past other than acknowledge it existed, same with slavery and segregation. But for most black people to wallow in the sorrow of history and make as if they are owed anything other than the same chance as other to make something of themselves is BS. None of us were promised happiness by living in this country, only the pursuit of it.

kidd

DCC 4Life
How old are you and when were you specifically suffering these historical ills? At some point we need to recognize history and then work to get over it. I understand years of police treated minority people poorly and I also know the history of minorities in police work. I can't do anything about the historical past other than acknowledge it existed, same with slavery and segregation. But for most black people to wallow in the sorrow of history and make as if they are owed anything other than the same chance as other to make something of themselves is BS. None of us were promised happiness by living in this country, only the pursuit of it.
Hey man. Why ya gotta be so hypersensitive??

Jiggyfly

Banned
My outrage mostly is with the overall attempt to paint this guy as a thug from that blog.

I posted the other part to show that this cop was already jumpy to begin with and I have never heard of nose width as a descriptor and I don't see his nose size as being very unique.

townsend

Banned
I would be interested to see stats for average wages and conviction rates for white males over 5'10" and under 200 lbs versus everyone else.
Even still there's some leeway there. I know a guy who is about my height and weight, but it's all muscle and he has the jawline of a Disney prince. Good guy overall, but people trip over themselves to do stuff for him. I think being a handsome and athletic looking dude is an advantage on par with whiteness, in some ways. Plenty of non-white members of Baylor football program can attest to that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
. That's the whole point of it and it's been shrouded in this whole BLM thing. Going back to Rodney King and before, If a black person's action are the same as a white persons, police will treat white person will more patience and less physical aggression. Police supposedly enter encounters with black people more amped up, causing police to escalate reaction quicker.

police interaction just a small piece of it and less significant piece of it. However, it's one that dominates social attention because it's so tangible. The bigger piece of it is general perception, education and gentrification. In the workplace, the black person (or woman, for that matter) has to be awesome to compete with a so-so white male. For Asians, it's become accepted to be a doctor or computer engineer, but it's 'who are you kidding' if Asian wants to be something else. In a hoity toity restaurant, don't put black couples by the window cuz its bad for business.

Then em you get into dark-skinned black people vs lighter-skinned black people. Kerry Washington, Halle Berry considered more readily acceptable beautiful while darker actresses (can't think of one right now) don't get the makeup and shampoo ads. Will smith and Denzel Washington get the big paycheck, etc etc.

Not saying I agree with any of it, all of it, but what's public discourse now has completely bastardized the original intent and more fundamental discussion.

I think this 1984 Eddie Murphy SNL skit is more effective than anything BLM. "What a silly negro" LOL

http://www.hulu.com/watch/10356
That about sums it up, no need to add anything.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
. That's the whole point of it and it's been shrouded in this whole BLM thing. Going back to Rodney King and before, If a black person's action are the same as a white persons, police will treat white person will more patience and less physical aggression. Police supposedly enter encounters with black people more amped up, causing police to escalate reaction quicker.
The scary part is the whole thing is an escalating situation. White officer shoots black man during investigation. So then black people start acting more hostile during investigation encounters. Which then causes officers to approach investigation with black men as hostile in advance. Wash, rinse and repeat. The situation just sort of gets worse and worse.

I wish people would stop injecting race into the issue but clearly it is too late for that now. I think the insertion of race into the issue is what really causes things to escalate. I also despise the fact that people need to feel like they have to pick a side. Like you either support black lives matter or blue lives matter. It's ridiculous. No one is right when innocent people are being murdered and I don't think you should be valuing one innocent person's life over another.

Cotton

Staff member
The scary part is the whole thing is an escalating situation. White officer shoots black man during investigation. So then black people start acting more hostile during investigation encounters. Which then causes officers to approach investigation with black men as hostile in advance. Wash, rinse and repeat. The situation just sort of gets worse and worse.

I wish people would stop injecting race into the issue but clearly it is too late for that now. I think the insertion of race into the issue is what really causes things to escalate. I also despise the fact that people need to feel like they have to pick a side. Like you either support black lives matter or blue lives matter. It's ridiculous. No one is right when innocent people are being murdered and I don't think you should be valuing one innocent person's life over another.
This has been a point of mine all along. How about let's just fix police brutality? Not just police brutality against black people.

Top Bottom