DMN: The five best Dallas Cowboys QBs of all time, ranked: Where do Staubach, Aikman

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, because he is a classy guy. What else is he supposed to say publicly? He's got 3 rings and is currently at the top of the field in his second chosen profession. I don't think Aikman feels all that threatened by Tony Romo.
Yeah I think Romo is pretty solidified as number 3. Just don't think there is a good argument to put him above guys with multiple superbowls like Aikman. And at this point I'd be surprised if Romo were to get 1 superbowl.

kidd

DCC 4Life
My rankings:

1. Romo
2. Romo
3. Staubach
4. Romo
5. Romo
6. Aikman
7. Romo
8. Romo
9. White
10. Romo

:unsure

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

kidd

DCC 4Life
Seriously though.

I put Staubach at #1 and Aikman and Romo at #.s 2A & 2B respectively.

I know Aikman has the rings but he also had the talent surrounding him that Romo never had. In addition to a HoFer WR and RB as well as the Great Wall of Dallas, he had one of, if not the best, defenses at the time.

Aikman still goes down as the most accurate passer I've ever seen but Romo has made nobodies into somebodies. Who had ever heard of Patrick Crayton or Miles Austin before Romo began throwing them the ball?

kidd

DCC 4Life
I hate these types of debates because I have to take away from players that I loved watching.

Another thing to consider is what the teams were without their starter.

Everyone here knows what happens when Romo misses significant time. But with Akikman, you could plug in a Wade Wilson, Steve Buerline, Bernie Kosar, or hell, even Jason Garrett and still win games.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I hate these types of debates because I have to take away from players that I loved watching.

Another thing to consider is what the teams were without their starter.

Everyone here knows what happens when Romo misses significant time. But with Akikman, you could plug in a Wade Wilson, Steve Buerline, Bernie Kosar, or hell, even Jason Garrett and still win games.
Having a competent coaching staff(or not having one in Romo's case) has a lot to do with that

data

Forbes #1
Instead of focusing on who's better, I prefer to discuss which environment maximized and best suited each QBs skill set and, conversely,which environment wouldve been most detrimental.

is Aikman better in the Norv Turner offense as he was, or would he have been better/worse in Garrett's offense highly reliant on the QB making pre snap audibles, check downs and protection scheme changes, while operating out of the shotgun?

would Romo the gunslinger be happy with Turner's timing based offense that was more methodical, or would romo lose patience and go rogue with more deep shots?

kidd

DCC 4Life
Having a competent coaching staff(or not having one in Romo's case) has a lot to do with that
Yet another reason to advocate for Romo.

Aikman was more accurate and had a stronger arm but he had far more advantages.

Romo has had to make something out of nothing far more than Aikman ever did.

townsend

Banned
Instead of focusing on who's better, I prefer to discuss which environment maximized and best suited each QBs skill set and, conversely,which environment wouldve been most detrimental.

is Aikman better in the Norv Turner offense as he was, or would he have been better/worse in Garrett's offense highly reliant on the QB making pre snap audibles, check downs and protection scheme changes, while operating out of the shotgun?

would Romo the gunslinger be happy with Turner's timing based offense that was more methodical, or would romo lose patience and go rogue with more deep shots?
Frankly I think Romo's suffered from the QB centered offenses. His 2014 year was so stellar, he had the best season of his career well past his physical prime. Like the Favre and Tarkenton I think Romo is worse for all the gawdy stats and ridiculous plays he had to make to keep the team competitive. Ask Romo to play in a competently designed, unpredictable, balanced offense and I think Romo's career looks more like Steve Young or Ben Roethlisberger's.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Frankly I think Romo's suffered from the QB centered offenses. His 2014 year was so stellar, he had the best season of his career well past his physical prime. Like the Favre and Tarkenton I think Romo is worse for all the gawdy stats and ridiculous plays he had to make to keep the team competitive. Ask Romo to play in a competently designed, unpredictable, balanced offense and I think Romo's career looks more like Steve Young or Ben Roethlisberger's.
But that is an evaluation based on a what if scenario. Anyone can spin circumstances to make a point but the only thing that actually matters for evaluation is what actually happened. It isn't a fair approach to say that different circumstances would have yielded different results therefore it should be a different conclusion than reality. Some have made their conclusions based on the what if approach. It doesn't hold up.

townsend

Banned
But that is an evaluation based on a what if scenario. Anyone can spin circumstances to make a point but the only thing that actually matters for evaluation is what actually happened. It isn't a fair approach to say that different circumstances would have yielded different results therefore it should be a different conclusion than reality. Some have made their conclusions based on the what if approach. It doesn't hold up.
It's impossible to compare one player's career to another in the first place. You'd might as well ask if Nolan Ryan was a better pitcher than Buzz Aldrin was an astronaut. There are too many what ifs, and subjective interpretations. The only thing I can say for certain is that Aikman played in a best case scenario when it came to his surrounding talent, and I think you'd be hard pressed to say he wasn't allowed to fulfill his entire potential. I think that in comparison Romo's surrounding talent (particularly on defense) and his coaching were exponentially inferior.

Saying being a part of a balanced offense would have benefitted Romo, is less of a what if, and more of a basic understanding of what's gone wrong in Garrett's offense, and what went right in 2007 and 2014.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's impossible to compare one player's career to another in the first place. You'd might as well ask if Nolan Ryan was a better pitcher than Buzz Aldrin was an astronaut. There are too many what ifs, and subjective interpretations. The only thing I can say for certain is that Aikman played in a best case scenario when it came to his surrounding talent, and I think you'd be hard pressed to say he wasn't allowed to fulfill his entire potential. I think that in comparison Romo's surrounding talent (particularly on defense) and his coaching were exponentially inferior.

Saying being a part of a balanced offense would have benefitted Romo, is less of a what if, and more of a basic understanding of what's gone wrong in Garrett's offense, and what went right in 2007 and 2014.
That's why they keep stats. It's the only measurable item that has any foundation or basis for comparison. One can find areas to question about them but in the final analysis nothing else is an honest substitute. And what is the astronaut and pitcher doing in this conversation. We are comparing players of the same game and position. If a frog had wings .........

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
That's why they keep stats. It's the only measurable item that has any foundation or basis for comparison. One can find areas to question about them but in the final analysis nothing else is an honest substitute. And what is the astronaut and pitcher doing in this conversation. We are comparing players of the same game and position. If a frog had wings .........
Dan Marino's not good enough to win a Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer is. That's a fact.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dan Marino's not good enough to win a Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer is. That's a fact.
And the stats prove Marino is a better QB. Your example doesn't display QB stats.

Top Bottom