JJT: Three thoughts on the Cowboys' win

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
3. I think the Cowboys’ defensive line is going to be better than I figured.
It’s because they don’t have any bad players in their rotation.
Hmmm. Last year they were bad and had Selvie, Hayden, Hatcher, and Ware with some scrubs backing them up. This year they have Selvie, Hayden, Melton, and Mincey with Crawford, a dash of Spencer, and scrubs backing them up. McClain has been inactive.

Seems like either the same guys or maybe Hatcher and Ware weren't as good as we thought. My problem is they were over 30 and forced to play every possible down by the coaching staff coughJerrycough.

When Ware got hurt, there was no one to back him up.

And of course the team running the football and playing with a lead makes a HUGE difference. The 1990's defensive lines were not overwhelming but played hard with a lead and TOP on their side.

When the offense got in its own way like vs Detroit in 1994 and Cleveland in 1993 it allowed Barry Sanders and Cleveland Gary to keep the opposing teams balanced and that really hurt our defense.

Basically we rarely could rely on the defense to outright win a game for us, and the same thing holds true this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm. Last year they were bad and had Selvie, Hayden, Hatcher, and Ware with some scrubs backing them up. This year they have Selvie, Hayden, Melton, and Mincey with Crawford, a dash of Spencer, and scrubs backing them up. McClain has been inactive.

Seems like either the same guys or maybe Hatcher and Ware weren't as good as we thought. My problem is they were over 30 and forced to play every possible down by the coaching staff coughJerrycough.

When Ware got hurt, there was no one to back him up.

And of course the team running the football and playing with a lead makes a HUGE difference. The 1990's defensive lines were not overwhelming but played hard with a lead and TOP on their side.

When the offense got in its own way like vs Detroit in 1994 and Cleveland in 1993 it allowed Barry Sanders and Cleveland Gary to keep the opposing teams balanced and that really hurt our defense.

Basically we rarely could rely on the defense to outright win a game for us, and the same thing holds true this year.
I think Ware's play last year gets highly overrated. He wasn't good.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Ware's play last year gets highly overrated. He wasn't good.
You are right. That's one of the reasons I used to say why moan about the defense losing so much with him being gone. He contributed less than average play last season. How could you miss that? I wasn't being disrespectful of the man or his prior contribution. I was just making an observation of the reactions of those that thought the defense would be worse without him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You are right. That's one of the reasons I used to say why moan about the defense losing so much with him being gone. He contributed less than average play last season. How could you miss that? I wasn't being disrespectful of the man or his prior contribution. I was just making an observation of the reactions of those that thought the defense would be worse without him.
That being said, you prepared to say that we are better now with Jeremy Mincey at RDE than we were with a beaten up Ware last year?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That being said, you prepared to say that we are better now with Jeremy Mincey at RDE than we were with a beaten up Ware last year?
I have never advocated the defense will be better. I simply felt they wouldn't be worse as some felt.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have never advocated the defense will be better. I simply felt they wouldn't be worse as some felt.
Wasn't talking about the unit. The individual player and their production/impact.

So, better off with Mincey?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wasn't talking about the unit. The individual player and their production/impact.

I understand you were not but my comments entailed Ware in the defense as a unit for comparative purposes. His contribution for the2013 season wasn't going to be difficult for the 2014 unit to fill. Ware as an individual player when healthy is difficult to replace but his 2013 performance isn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

No but what we are getting from the RE position so far this year is better then what we got from the RE position last year.

Top Bottom