QB Controversy Thread...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Relax, man. I was just kidding.

You're gonna wear out your pom pom arm before the playoffs even start.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Relax, man. I was just kidding.

You're gonna wear out your pom pom arm before the playoffs even start.
I've already gotten tendinitis from waving the towel. :towel

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I know 7.93 is his average but it sure seems like he never throws shorter than that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Oh for fuck sakes...ravi is now talking about a mythical 2015 NE team vs 2016 Dal team. Wonderful...looking forward to your next cutting edge analysis, like what if Barry Sanders ran behind the 90s Cowboys line.
I'm not the one who brought up 2015 Brock Osweiler.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yep, the information is obvious. But, the dink and dunk defense is all some people have left to hang onto.
You have to work long plays into the game plan. It's not about Romo or Dak, but the passing game.

Cotton

Staff member
You have to work long plays into the game plan. It's not about Romo or Dak, but the passing game.
And they have. Maybe not enough for your liking, but they have. The numbers prove it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I love YPA and I think it's a very telling stat, especially for correlating to QB success.

I also don't think Dak is dinking and dunking. He's not. If you look at what Wentz is doing in Philly, that's dink and dunk.

However, where he's been doing most of his work is the intermediate range. He hasn't gone downfield much and I think that's where this reputation is coming from.

Sturm is a little overzealous here. If you look at the last column, Dak is way, way behind all of the top 9 QBs in 25+ yard completions. I don't think it's all that important of a stat, but it's pretty accurate to say that Dak hasn't gone downfield much and he's pretty far behind most of the top ten QBs in that regard.

Cotton

Staff member
I love YPA and I think it's a very telling stat, especially for correlating to QB success.

I also don't think Dak is dinking and dunking. He's not. If you look at what Wentz is doing in Philly, that's dink and dunk.

However, where he's been doing most of his work is the intermediate range. He hasn't gone downfield much and I think that's where this reputation is coming from.

Sturm is a little overzealous here. If you look at the last column, Dak is way, way behind all of the top 9 QBs in 25+ yard completions. I don't think it's all that important of a stat, but it's pretty accurate to say that Dak hasn't gone downfield much and he's pretty far behind most of the top ten QBs in that regard.
And, I'm okay with that. As long as we are scoring that is all that matters. When we first started this season everyone on this board was of the mindset that the offense needed to keep the defense off the field to make them more effective. The short to intermediate passing game does just that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah I voiced my apprehensions a few games back about the lack of a verticle passing game from Dallas. The probable reason is because the coaching staff is not comfortable with the chemistry with the QB and the receivers in this aspect of the passing game so they just keep the lid on it.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Isn't that MORE evidence that he's not dinking and dunking? With aprox. 10 less long completions his average is still up there, which means the rest of his passes are a little longer than the others, so either everyone is d&d (which they are) or he can't be called a d&d...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the epitome of meaningless statistics. You can pick any NFL team, and they will fall low in the NFL in at least one stat category. It doesn't mean that falling low in a stat category is some fatal flaw. We don't throw a lot of 25+ yard passes by design. And when we do throw those passes, I believe we are pretty good at it (Which is all that really matters). We don't go out there trying to score quickly. We want to eat up the clock, grind the ball and beat up the other team. Other NFL offenses might want to get in a track meet, but that's not our style and it's intentional. We did the same thing in 2014.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't that MORE evidence that he's not dinking and dunking? With aprox. 10 less long completions his average is still up there, which means the rest of his passes are a little longer than the others, so either everyone is d&d (which they are) or he can't be called a d&d...
This is correct because he doesn't have a bunch of deep bombs skewing his statistics. And by the way, Dak can throw deep if he needs to. I wish we had a little more deep speed at WR but that's not going to change until the offseason. So for now Butler and Williams are your best bets deep.

townsend

Banned
This is correct because he doesn't have a bunch of deep bombs skewing his statistics. And by the way, Dak can throw deep if he needs to. I wish we had a little more deep speed at WR but that's not going to change until the offseason. So for now Butler and Williams are your best bets deep.
I posted a handful of highlights a few pages back, the big ones are his Steelers TD to Bryant, and that preseason deep pass to Butler against the Rams.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is the epitome of meaningless statistics. You can pick any NFL team, and they will fall low in the NFL in at least one stat category. It doesn't mean that falling low in a stat category is some fatal flaw. We don't throw a lot of 25+ yard passes by design. And when we do throw those passes, I believe we are pretty good at it (Which is all that really matters). We don't go out there trying to score quickly. We want to eat up the clock, grind the ball and beat up the other team. Other NFL offenses might want to get in a track meet, but that's not our style and it's intentional. We did the same thing in 2014.
I already posted this stat in another thread, but you're right in that we didn't need to throw many 25+ yarders over the course of the season because Zeke leads the lead in 10+ yard runs.

Because of that, Dallas leads the league in big plays (sum of 25+ passes and 10+ runs) overall. Dak might not be "dinking", but call it "Dakking"-- throwing next to no passes over 20 yards. We are methodical.

This methodical approach is fine taken over the course of a 16-game season (if you can control turnovers and penalties) because the approach will win on average.

But now the penalties might actually be getting worse and we have been fumbling the ball away too, lately. We are wearing down a bit and the competition is improving.

We simply need to see the explosive deep passes we had in Pittsburgh to defeat the NFL's best teams.

I don't think we can dial them up.

Cotton

Staff member
I already posted this stat in another thread, but you're right in that we didn't need to throw many 25+ yarders over the course of the season because Zeke leads the lead in 10+ yard runs.

Because of that, Dallas leads the league in big plays (sum of 25+ passes and 10+ runs) overall. Dak might not be "dinking", but call it "Dakking"-- throwing next to no passes over 20 yards. We are methodical.

This methodical approach is fine taken over the course of a 16-game season (if you can control turnovers and penalties) because the approach will win on average.

But now the penalties might actually be getting worse and we have been fumbling the ball away too, lately. We are wearing down a bit and the competition is improving.

We simply need to see the explosive deep passes we had in Pittsburgh to defeat the NFL's best teams.

I don't think we can dial them up.
I don't think we need the deep pass to win. All we need to do is clean up the stupid penalties. Clean games against NY and TB result in a win in NY and a blowout against TB.

townsend

Banned
Taking the position of devil's advocate, our 2014 offensive gameplan fell apart against Detroit and we needed Romo to do his gunslinger act to edge them out. So I can understand some consternation when it comes to not having an one of the best 4th quarter QBs.

The good news is there is no Nick Fairley, Ndamukong Suh DT tandem we'll have to face in the playoffs. So I doubt Zeke gets held to 3.9 ypc.

Top Bottom