2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He is saying that he needs to come out on record and definitively say he does not condone it. It is really simple.
I understand but even if he didn't that would not be a statement within itself. Our standing President and Commander in Chief hasn't chastised Saudi or Islamic states about certain human right issues but I don't think he condones them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Are you saying that Trump sponsors and condones this crap just because a supporter or detractor makes a statement?
Did you bother to read the post I made before this one?

The one where I both clearly said that he did not sponsor or condone the act and explained why he still needed to say something about it?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I understand but even if he didn't that would not be a statement within itself. Our standing President and Commander in Chief hasn't chastised Saudi or Islamic states about certain human right issues but I don't think he condones them.
I don't give two shits about a comparison but I can already see the "Well Obama this" and "Well Hillary that" defense coming in response to criticisms that will be directed at Trump. Save it. That doesn't matter. What matters is that Trump is going to be the president and he has the responsibility to act like it, independent of what you want to say about any other current or past presidents/politicians. I'm not saying he won't, but we need to see it.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because they too came away with the impression that (and I'm just paraphrasing here) he thinks minorities are lesser than whites and he's going to try to return America to a place where it's white citizens are favored above all others.

So what you have is two sets of people saying and believing the same thing but expressing it in a different way:

Detractor: Donald Trump is a racist bigot!

Supporter: He's bringing back a white America!

Two different expressions, but the same theory being implied.

If that is not where he stands and that is not what he believes in, then he has to denounce these acts and make it clear where he stands. If he doesn't, it just leads to more wild accusations and impressions from people on both ends of the fence.
Yep.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I don't give two shits about a comparison but I can already see the "Well Obama this" and "Well Hillary that" defense coming in response to criticisms that will be directed at Trump. Save it. That doesn't matter. What matters is that Trump is going to be the president and he has the responsibility to act like it, independent of what you want to say about any other current or past presidents/politicians. I'm not saying he won't, but we need to see it.
F**king love Ed

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am sure he will. He has a few other things to do as well.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He is saying that he needs to come out on record and definitively say he does not condone it. It is really simple. His campaign finally did so with the KKK recently but it needs to be a broader statement and probably to be reiterated.
Yup.

I don't know what he's confused by because it's pretty simple.

When you see so many acts of bigotry, racism, and other randoms acts of hate happening around the country, then it's an obvious sign that many many people in this country on both sides of the fence have a perception of him.

That rapidly growing perception of him is a negative one, and because it is a perception shared by so many people from different walks of life, he has a responsibility to distance himself from it since he is the president elect of the United States, after all.

And let's not pretend like he can just wipe his hands clean of this either. Just because he didn't tell anyone to do these things or condones them doesn't mean he's blameless. His behavior throughout his campaign is the reason why so many people view him in the light that they do and now he has a responsibility to clear some things up and take a stance.

townsend

Banned
Not that I support rioters, but you know Trump was going to say all this was rigged if he lost right? Do you think things would be going nearly this well if Trump had lost, and inevitably taken to Twitter (like he did after Cruz won Iowa) and called everyone a cheater?

If Trump loses in 4 years and refuses to accept the results of the election, get ready. A few protestors will look positively adorable.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yup.

I don't know what he's confused by because it's pretty simple.

When you see so many acts of bigotry, racism, and other randoms acts of hate happening around the country, then it's an obvious sign that many many people in this country on both sides of the fence have a perception of him.

That rapidly growing perception of him is a negative one, and because it is a perception shared by so many people from different walks of life, he has a responsibility to distance himself from it since he is the president elect of the United States, after all.

And let's not pretend like he can just wipe his hands clean of this either. Just because he didn't tell anyone to do these things or condones them doesn't mean he's blameless either. His behavior throughout his campaign is the reason why so many people view him in the light that they do and now he has a responsibility to clear some things up and take a stance.
I understand exactly what you are saying but Trump has already taken a position about these matters in his campaign speeches. He has stated that the country needs to be united and that the violence in the streets need to cease. He has also stated that he has been an advocate of minorities for many years and still he has been labeled as a racist and supremeist. I agree he will have to say it again but the reason he will is because the same people who are advocating all this hate are the same ones who labeled him in the first place. I suspect you will hear from him soon with a press conference outlining and reiterating these same issues.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I understand exactly what you are saying but Trump has already taken a position about these matters in his campaign speeches. He has stated that the country needs to be united and that the violence in the streets need to cease. He has also stated that he has been an advocate of minorities for many years and still he has been labeled as a racist and supremeist. I agree he will have to say it again but the reason he will is because the same people who are advocating all this hate are the same ones who labeled him in the first place. I suspect you will hear from him soon with a press conference outlining and reiterating these same issues.
But it's not just people labeling him, it's people who are for him as well.

Granted, I know these are idiots and lunatics, but still......because it is a growing perception in our country and it can't simply be blamed on those who don't like him, he does have to address the issue and make it clear that he isn't what his detractors or those wacko supporters think he is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But it's not just people labeling him, it's people who are for him as well.

Granted, I know these are idiots and lunatics, but still......because it is a growing perception in our country and it can't simply be blamed on those who don't like him, he does have to address the issue and make it clear that he isn't what his detractors or those wacko supporters think he is.
Agree and I have no doubt he will. First thing that usually happens is the advisers and speech writers have a get together and agree on an outline to be addressed. This will probably entail several issues so it takes a little while to work the knots off everthing then schedule a some air time with the networks. Trump will need some time to review and rehearse then it will probably happen.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You don't know PA very well. Aside from Philly and it's suburbs, Centre County (Penn State), and Pittsburgh, the rest of the state is about as backwards as rural Alabama. Lots of rebel flags redneck hillbillies in Pennsyltucky.
While what you say about PA is true, it has been trending Democrat for several cycles. Part of that is the Philly suburbs have gone from leaning republican to leaning democrat. Trump taking PA was a pretty big surprise. McGinnty was supposed to beat Toomey, too, and that also surprisingly didn't happen.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not that I support rioters, but you know Trump was going to say all this was rigged if he lost right? Do you think things would be going nearly this well if Trump had lost, and inevitably taken to Twitter (like he did after Cruz won Iowa) and called everyone a cheater?

If Trump loses in 4 years and refuses to accept the results of the election, get ready. A few protestors will look positively adorable.
:picard

Jesus Christ.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
While what you say about PA is true, it has been trending Democrat for several cycles. Part of that is the Philly suburbs have gone from leaning republican to leaning democrat. Trump taking PA was a pretty big surprise. McGinnty was supposed to beat Toomey, too, and that also surprisingly didn't happen.
Yep, PA was a surprise.

townsend

Banned
I think people underestimated how unpopular Clinton was. I think liberals saw her as George W Bush, and conservatives saw her as Barack Obama. She tanked the entire democrat ticket.

I think the book of revelations summarizes the mood of the nation:

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom