QB Controversy Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?6189-When-Romo-is-completely-healthy-who-do-you-play&p=303818#post303818

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
There is the core excuse somebody brought up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember Leary basically saying something earlier this season that he was healthy enough to play but that the Cowboys were holding him out and claiming he was hurt. Sort of as an excuse to have him inactive on game day and maybe not get him hurt for a trade. Obviously that has since changed but I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys sort of imagine problems with Romo for awhile unless they absolutely need him.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That was me. Last week after his MRI I said Jerry will just ride the excuse that Romo needs to work on his core and conditioning as an excuse to keep Dak in the lineup longer.

Honestly instead of stringing Romo along Garrett, not Jerry, needs to do the adult thing and make a decision on who will lead this team going forward. This week to week crap will just unnecessarily agitate players, IMO.

hstour

Brand New Member
So by that logic he lost the Packers game. Truth is if you continually rely on fourth quarter comebacks all it takes is one play or one call and you've lost. Walking that tight rope in the playoffs will get you out of the playoffs.
Not sure how you come to that conclusion, but I do agree it takes a team to win playoff games/SB trophies. You can't get a lead and keep giving it away and expect to win.

Cotton

Staff member
As Dak Prescott succeeds, Bill Parcells' words should be heeded
4:03 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Romomentum was never higher in 2006 than on Thanksgiving.

Tony Romo threw five touchdown passes in a 38-10 win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Nov. 23, 2006. The Dallas Cowboys had won four of Romo’s first five starts. As exciting as the 2003 turnaround was, this was something altogether different.

But Bill Parcells wanted everybody to take a breath.

"We've got a ways to go here," Parcells said then. "So put away the anointing oil, OK?"

Dakmania has never been higher in 2016 than after Sunday's 30-16 win against the Green Bay Packers.

Dak Prescott threw a career-high three touchdown passes and helped the Cowboys win for just the second time in franchise history at Lambeau Field. The Cowboys have won five of Prescott's first six starts. As low as 2015 was when the Cowboys used three quarterbacks to replace an injured Romo and finished 4-12, this is something altogether different.

But Parcells, the Hall of Fame coach, is not here to tell everybody to put the anointing oils away.

The closest anybody has come to saying this is this answer from Jason Garrett on Monday:

"I thought there were plays in the game (Sunday), big, important plays in the game where he can get better," Garrett said. "The interception was not a good play by him. We had just taken the ball away from them there on the 1-yard line and we come back, that was an opportunity for us. He had to move. He and Witt weren't on the same page. So that was a miss there. The ball was on the ground two other times. So those are areas where you always have to get better. He's done a really good job of that up to this point. I think his decision-making has been outstanding, but you can always point back to different times in this game or in previous games where the decision-making could get better.

"I think experience will help him in that area. The best thing he did (Sunday) in the game is he responded to those adversities. When you have a sack-fumble and you lose the ball and you have an interception and they make a play and you give them an opportunity in the red zone, our defense did a good job getting a stop for us there. And then you saw what he did after those turnovers that were really positive. He made some big-time plays for us down the stretch of the game. So again, it goes back to his poise, his composure, his confidence, his approach each and every day is handling the situations as they come up. Plenty of room for improvement, but again he handled himself well in those situations."

That doesn't roll off the tongue quite like "put away the anointing oil," does it?

By Monday afternoon, Prescott had already watched the Packers' game again. He was upset with the interception when he misread Jason Witten on an option route after moving out of the pocket. The ball security in the pocket needs to be better after Julius Peppers knocked it free for a sack/fumble. He also simply dropped the ball while eluding the rush but the Cowboys recovered the ball.

"It wasn't my best game, but I think I did a good job of not worrying about things when they got bad," Prescott said.

After Romo's five-touchdown performance against the Buccaneers, the Cowboys won their next game to go 5-1 in his first six starts, matching what Prescott has done. The '06 Cowboys, however, won only two of their final five regular-season games. Romo had just six touchdown passes in the final five games, compared to eight interceptions.

Some will say Parcells' comments after Tampa Bay portended what eventually rang true or were an unnecessary wet blanket and affected the quarterback down the stretch.

Those lauding Prescott now are looking at the results -- 5-1, seven touchdowns, one interception -- if not the process, to steal a word from Garrett. He should have had one pass intercepted well before Morgan Burnett came down with that pass to Witten. Three fumbles in two games is not a good thing. He has made incorrect reads but had positive results.

Parcells had the pithy warning about Romo 10 years ago.

Inside the locker room after the Packers game, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said the competition will get tougher. Defenses will have a better feel for him and what the Cowboys like to do. There will be more of a book on Prescott.

Prescott has not been perfect even as Dakmania has picked up steam. It just seems that way.

"You have to execute the right way over time in order to be a good football player and in order to be a good football team," Garrett said. "There are times where we've all been around players that can kind of do things maybe differently than the coach wanted them to do it and they make a play. But over time you have to do things the right way in order to be a consistent player and a consistent team and that applies to every position. It certainly applies to the quarterback position."

Cotton

Staff member
Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman have been in Tony Romo's spot
8:18 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Soon, if not today, Tony Romo will be able to practice for the first time since suffering a compression fracture in his back on Aug. 25.

The CT scans and other testing continue to show nothing but positives for the Dallas Cowboys' quarterback. He has increased his rehab work in the past two weeks, including resistance training, and he has been throwing with more velocity.

“We’re getting closer,” offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said. “I don’t know the exact time, but we’re getting closer with him. I know that.”

Eventually, the Cowboys will have to decide whether they make Romo the starter or continue with rookie Dak Prescott, who has helped them to a 5-1 start.

What started as almost a humorous what-if at the start of the season -- based on how well Prescott played in the preseason -- has become the most important issue Jason Garrett must sort through in his tenure as Cowboys coach.

Garrett has given the subject a stiff-arm when pressed about it during the past few weeks. Until Romo is healthy and cleared, they don’t need to have an answer.

The Cowboys have faced such quandaries before.

In 1972, Roger Staubach suffered a separated shoulder in the preseason that forced Craig Morton into the starting lineup. Coach Tom Landry stuck with Morton, even when Staubach became healthy. Staubach had led the Cowboys to their first Super Bowl win the previous season.

In 1991, Troy Aikman suffered a sprained MCL during the game in which the Cowboys ended the Washington Redskins’ run at a perfect season. Steve Beuerlein went 4-0 as Aikman’s replacement, and coach Jimmy Johnson went with Beuerlein in the playoffs, even though Aikman was healthy enough to play in the postseason.

“You’ve got to make the decision based on what you believe,” Aikman said. “When you say, ‘We’re going to do what’s best for the team,’ then you’ve got to do what’s best for the team. If you as a coach believe somebody else gives you a better opportunity, then I think you make that move.”

Aikman was upset with Johnson in 1991. Aikman was told he would be the starter once healthy and was held out of the regular-season finale because the Cowboys’ seeding was solidified. But Aikman was especially upset when Johnson told the media before telling him that Beuerlein would start the playoff game.

In Beuerlein's four-game run as the starter, he completed 65 of 132 passes for 883 yards with five touchdowns and two interceptions. Good, not great, numbers. What really changed for the Cowboys: the emphasis on Emmitt Smith. In their first 11 games in 1991, he had only one game with at least 25 carries. In the final five, he carried it at least 25 times in every game.

“When it’s you, when it’s happening to you, your perspective on it is really different, and I wouldn’t expect Tony or anyone else to feel different than I felt as far as wanting to be out there playing and feeling like you were the best option,” Aikman said. “But it didn’t take [until] now to realize Jimmy probably did the right thing for the team.”

Forty-four years later, Landry’s decision to roll with Morton seems curious at best. Morton threw at least one interception in 12 of 14 games. He finished with 21 on the season with 15 touchdown passes.

But what mattered most was the Cowboys' record. They finished 10-4.

“Craig was winning,” said Staubach, who saw limited action in four of the final five regular-season games. “We were winning as a team and I understood it. The momentum was there, you don’t want to mess around with the quarterback position, and Craig was playing very well. So I didn’t really play very much until the playoff game against the 49ers that year, and I understood it. I understood I was still a good player, and they’re still hopefully going to need me at some time. Tony’s going to heal, he’s going to be ready to play when they need him, if something happens to Dak, so I think Tony wants to win and he’ll do what it takes to win. If they keep Dak in there, if they keep the momentum going, I think [Romo] will understand that. He hasn’t told me that, by the way.”

In the divisional round of the 1972 playoffs, the Cowboys needed Staubach. With Dallas trailing in the fourth quarter against the San Francisco 49ers, Staubach threw two touchdown passes in the final two minutes for one of the most improbable comebacks in his career.

Today, the quarterback debate rages outside the Cowboys' locker room, but there is no sign of friction within the team. Friends and family might ask the players about the situation, but there is little to no talk that could lead to a schism.

“We’re not really worried about that honestly,” running back Ezekiel Elliott said. “We just focus on now. We focus on going out there and winning every week and getting better as a team. To this team, it really doesn’t matter who is at quarterback. We have faith in our guys. Honestly, that’s not our decision anyway, so there’s no reason to worry about it.”

The decision falls on Garrett, Linehan, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, owner and general manager Jerry Jones, and executive vice president Stephen Jones.

Only the success of the season is on the line.

“You never know unless you go on and win the Super Bowl,” Aikman said. “You never quite know what the outcome otherwise would’ve been, but I certainly understand why Jimmy did what he did. The team had won five straight, and he wasn’t going to mess with that. So that’s kind of where I am. In this league, it’s hard to get that kind of momentum going within any club, and when you have it going, I think you better take a hard look before you start doing things that may jeopardize that.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I want Prescott to win this game and make things very difficult.

in a way, I think he will.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

Cotton

Staff member
"Longer than expected"

I think we all saw this coming after the GB game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I want Prescott to win this game and make things very difficult.

in a way, I think he will.
We're going to win this game by 10 in a game where we lead for most of it.

Green Bay has already got Jerry backpedaling, but this win will seal it once and for all.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
"Longer than expected"

I think we all saw this coming after the GB game.
I think it was before that but that sealed it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Green Bay has already got Jerry backpedaling, but this win will seal it once and for all.
The win will be reflective of the team, not the QB. The OL and RB are taking huge pressure off right now.

Dak is good and Tony is better.

The only knock against Tony is health, and if he goes down again you still have Dak.

That's called win-win.

dallen

Senior Tech
If Dak starts to struggle Tony is going to get well very quickly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

If we beat Philly, we have Cleveland up next. That's as easy of a win as I can imagine. At 7-1 there is no way in hell the Cowboys can put Tony in.

The sad thing is I don't want to drag this injury out with Romo. I want him to be our backup QB on game days. God forbid something happens to Dak, there is no better backup in the NFL then Romo. 2 minutes on the clock down by 4, if Dak gets hurt, I have total faith Romo can come in and get the job done.

Top Bottom