Archer: Spencer set to return on Sunday

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DE Anthony Spencer: 'Pretty excited'
Updated: September 25, 2014, 6:32 PM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- After recording just three sacks in the first three games, the Dallas Cowboys will welcome back defensive end Anthony Spencer to the lineup for the first time in more than a year Sunday when they take on the New Orleans Saints.

Spencer is returning from microfracture surgery on his left knee performed last year after he played just 34 snaps in a loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Sept. 15, 2013. The last time Spencer played a full season, he recorded a career-high 11 sacks and was named to the Pro Bowl as an outside linebacker.

Anthony Spencer is returning from microfracture surgery on his left knee. The last time Spencer played a full season, he was named to the Pro Bowl.
"Haven't played football in a year, so pretty excited," Spencer said after Thursday's practice.

Spencer practiced twice last week in his first on-field work, and he has had no issues in practice this week. He started training camp on the physically unable to perform list as he rehabbed, but the Cowboys were encouraged so much by his progress that they chose to keep him on the active roster to start the season.

He would have missed the first six games if placed on the PUP list at the start of the regular season.

The Cowboys will be careful with Spencer's playing time.

"Probably No. 1, make sure we don't overuse him," defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. "He's kind of on a quiet pitch count, but he's had a good week of work. He hasn't played in a year, so he's practiced well. He's got all the things you want. Hopefully this week and every week after this, he gets better and better. Once you get a guy like that, then it starts helping everybody."

Of the Cowboys' three sacks, only a half sack has come from a full-time defensive lineman in Henry Melton, but he might not be able to play against the Saints because of a hamstring strain. The remaining 2.5 sacks have gone to linebackers Rolando McClain, Bruce Carter and Kyle Wilber.

Spencer, who signed an incentive-laden, one-year deal to return to the Cowboys, has said his body feels better now than it did leading into last year.

"I had a whole year off, got to recover," he said, "so I feel good about it."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm intrigued. Back sooner than anticipated.

Treat this game likea bonus. Don't overuse him.

As an aside, holy shit...we don't have even one whole sack from a defensive lineman? That's ugly.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

As an aside, holy shit...we don't have even one whole sack from a defensive lineman? That's ugly.
Jerry hears you talking like that, he'll shit on the porch by your front door.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Next week's headline:

Spencer Set to Return to Operating Table

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm glad he'll be back given our depth on the line but I'm skeptical as to how effective he'll be come game day, especially since he's played what, one game in a 4-3 since college? Plus, he's thirty years old, coming off a surgery that's difficult to come back from for a younger guy and the interior DL is paper thin so he'll have little help inside.

Spencer or not, I'd be surprised if we give up fewer than 40 points Sunday night. I would obviously be happy to be wrong.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Selvie and Crawford, future stars. You heard it here first.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't know what PFF is going by. 2 starts, 2 tackles. Huzzah.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Seriously. Spencer will get his one and done performance out of the way. If he impacts the football game at all I will be stunned.
I would so love for you to be wrong here. It would make a great story not to mention welcome pressure. But then again, he could very well be toast.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously. Spencer will get his one and done performance out of the way. If he impacts the football game at all I will be stunned.
I just have no faith in an NFL player successfully coming back from microfracture surgery.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I wonder if any NFL player a) has ever come back from it successfully or b) been anything close to his original skill level.
Marques Colston is the only one who comes to mind, though it could be argued he has lost a step

Top Bottom