Brexit

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Would the US allow Texas to secede peacefully? Maybe the US would embargo the shit out of Texas and Texas would become good buddies with Mexico, leading to more Mexican immigration into the renamed Tejas.

A can of Dr. Pepper goes up to $7.
Texas cannot independently exist as a separate nation. They are too tied to national systems to go loner. The citizens are probably not native Texas born as a plurality and would never go along with trying to shuck the ties the rest of the country. I think the independence creedo It's a Native Texas thing. It's a good feeling for them to say their constitution allows them to be a republic but it's simply to entertwined to go loner.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Wow, Jiggy is being Jiggy again.

Jig- Texas has the most major disasters therefore must get most federal aid. Fact- no we don't.
Jig - That isn't what I said, I said most major disasters. Uh, it is what you said.
Jig - Well it would stand to reason! Could be, but no it still isn't the fact.

Well, something else that needs to be looked at......

:picard :lol
Texas does have the most major disasters, I guess you missed that part.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Texas cannot independently exist as a separate nation. They are too tied to national systems to go loner. The citizens are probably not native Texas born as a plurality and would never go along with trying to shuck the ties the rest of the country. I think the independence creedo It's a Native Texas thing. It's a good feeling for them to say their constitution allows them to be a republic but it's simply to entertwined to go loner.
:buddy

:unsure

townsend

Banned
The nation of Texas would still have more Super Bowl rings than half the United States NfL teams combined. Not bad.
California and Pennsylvania still have us beat (without any help from the Eagles.) Maryland is also ahead if you count DC as a part of the state (1 Colts, 2 Ravens 3 Redskins)

2233boys

Not So New Member
2011-2012 Texas received the most federal aid in disaster relief, (this includes farm aid), Illinois was second and North Dakota 3rd.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/green/report/2013/09/12/73895/states-of-denial-states-with-the-most-federal-disaster-aid-sent-climate-science-deniers-to-congress-2/
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Which-states-receive-the-most-federal-aid-6294693.php#photo-8066818

According to the Center for American Progress, Texas absorbs more federal disaster assistance funds than any other state. The state took in more than $5 billion in federal disaster recovery funds in fiscal years 2011 and 2012. (The analysis compiles several sources of aid, including FEMA, the USDA federal crop insurance program, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.)
http://www.citylab.com/weather/2015/05/the-troubled-relationship-between-texas-and-fema/394145/

NOTE: All those links relate back to information gathered in 2011-2012. It may have changed since. (some links are from 2015)

shane

DCC 4Life
All of the states would be just fine without federal blood money. I'd love to see a state have a referendum to secede here, but the feds would kill millions of people to stop that from happening just like they did 1861-1865.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I guess you guys don't think the US is greater than the sum of its parts then?

townsend

Banned
I guess you guys don't think the US is greater than the sum of its parts then?
I would say that the federal government is run by more capable people than many state governments, that are more prone to indulge the tyranny of the majority. The Supreme Court defends gun rights in blue states and abortion rights in red states, in civil rights in states of any color. Not saying the fed doesn't have deep deep flaws, but it doesn't take a hard look at governors like Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, and Michigan's to see there is a severe competence gap between state and federal governments.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say that the federal government is run by more capable people than many state governments, that are more prone to indulge the tyranny of the majority. The Supreme Court defends gun rights in blue states and abortion rights in red states, in civil rights in states of any color. Not saying the fed doesn't have deep deep flaws, but it doesn't take a hard look at governors like Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, and Michigan's to see there is a severe competence gap between state and federal governments.
So you appreciate the judicial portion of the Federal Government, why are you not comparing it to the state appeals courts then? Seems like an odd comparison to make between the Federal Judges and state politicians. Sort of like comparing apples and oranges.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe I just don't understand what the title United States mean. To me the underdgirding to this nation is the central systems of government and currency. Otherwise there would be no basis for for parity of trade and law. How well would things work for each state to have their own monetary systems and government and regulation systems that were unchallangable in each state? Not to mention seperate militias and their prerogatives to defend only a given set of boundaries. The idea of sessation by individual states is a pipe dream.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Maybe I just don't understand what the title United States mean. To me the underdgirding to this nation is the central systems of government and currency. Otherwise there would be no basis for for parity of trade and law. How well would things work for each state to have their own monetary systems and government and regulation systems that were unchallangable in each state? Not to mention seperate militias and their prerogatives to defend only a given set of boundaries. The idea of sessation by individual states is a pipe dream.
This is the reason we have a constitution and did away with the articles of confederation.

Top Bottom