Jason Garrett talks to Greg Hardy about 9/11 tweet

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We have 2 variables we can definitely nail down between the 2013-2015. Linehan who usually attempts to rush 400 or more times, and Murray who's top # of attempts was 217 times before 2014, Reggie Bush attempted 223 times the same year (there were another 228 attempts spread among a committee).

Also Jim Schwartz is a defensive coach. While the rushing game is an important part of defense, it'd be equivalent to say that Wade Phillips was somehow responsible for Schottenheimer's rushing offense in San Diego. If Jim Schwartz is the variable and Garrett is the pass happy true overlord of this offense, why did the 2014 Cowboys rush 50 times more than the 2013 Lions? If it was Murray's success that drove us to be less pass happy, overlord Garrett wouldn't have pooped his pants and abandoned the run vs. the Packers in 2013.

My current hypothesis is that Garrett believes in rushing the ball as much or more than all of the former Titans defensive coordinators. He also is a bit of a softy and lets his best pal Romo dictate to him playcalling (this would account for the more conservative offense in 2010). He needs another play caller to play bad cop.
Alternately in the heat of the moment, Garrett may not be able to control his QB tendencies, and default to pass plays under stress. Linehan was calling plays as an OC before Garrett was ever drafted, and is a more disciplined play-caller.

If Garrett was going to freakout and grab the reigns, forcing Romo to pass 55 times, it would have happened against St. Louis last year. In the midst of a blowout, we kept running and only passed 23 times. Would Garret ever have done that? What would have happened down 21-0 in that same situation in 2011-2013? Oh, it happened a bunch, we abandoned the run, and passed like f***ing crazy (Even though we had Murray in the lineup!)
When was Wade Phillips HC in San Diego?

I think Garrett didn't force Linehan to abandon the run in St Louis last year because he knew his job was on the line and not running the ball in Green Bay had a lot to do with that. Now his job's not on the line. If Linehan hadn't come back, I'd guarantee you he'd have the playcalling duties again. This is the same guy who scoffed at the idea of not calling plays until Jerry basically told him it was the only way he would keep his job. With a big shiny new contract, I don't trust him not to be his old arrogant self again.

townsend

Banned
When was Wade Phillips HC in San Diego?

I think Garrett didn't force Linehan to abandon the run in St Louis last year because he knew his job was on the line and not running the ball in Green Bay had a lot to do with that. Now his job's not on the line. If Linehan hadn't come back, I'd guarantee you he'd have the playcalling duties again. This is the same guy who scoffed at the idea of not calling plays until Jerry basically told him it was the only way he would keep his job. With a big shiny new contract, I don't trust him not to be his old arrogant self again.
Nope, and Jim Schwartz wasn't HC in Tennesee.

Shiny contract doesn't mean nearly as much as having the honeymoon period over, if Garrett shits the bed with this team he could be Barry Switzered with a quickness.

I think cynisicm is a little unfounded. We did well last year, Garrett's showing signs of being a decent HC. A real defense and a more seasoned hand a playcaller has helped him get that contract. Linehan was resigned as well I don't think the powers that be want the balance of power to change, so it won't. If Garrett wasn't a good little soldier, he wouldn't be here right now.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Nope, and Jim Schwartz wasn't HC in Tennesee.

Shiny contract doesn't mean nearly as much as having the honeymoon period over, if Garrett shits the bed with this team he could be Barry Switzered with a quickness.

I think cynisicm is a little unfounded. We did well last year, Garrett's showing signs of being a decent HC. A real defense and a more seasoned hand a playcaller has helped him get that contract. Linehan was resigned as well I don't think the powers that be want the balance of power to change, so it won't. If Garrett wasn't a good little soldier, he wouldn't be here right now.
Schwartz was the head coach of the 2013 Lions. I only mentioned Tennessee to note that he came from a run-heavy coaching tree, not to claim he had anything to do with forming Jeff Fisher's philosophy, just implying he might very well share it.

BTW, even dropping to 400 runs on the season would cost this team crucial wins in my estimation. We still have a defense we need to protect and going back to a tendency to give up a quick score in the defensive backfield and going pass-pass-pass-punt (or pick) in the ensuing offensive possession would be pretty disastrous.

Hell, we really need to improve from last year when it comes to going empty backfield too often and giving the defense a free run at Romo. Now that teams have more film of Linehan, telegraphing our intentions with our formations all the time isn't going to work nearly as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW, even dropping to 400 runs on the season would cost this team crucial wins in my estimation. We still have a defense we need to protect and going back to a tendency to give up a quick score in the defensive backfield and going pass-pass-pass-punt (or pick) in the ensuing offensive possession would be pretty disastrous.

Hell, we really need to improve from last year when it comes to going empty backfield too often and giving the defense a free run at Romo. Now that teams have more film of Linehan, telegraphing our intentions with our formations all the time isn't going to work nearly as well.
Believing Dallas is going to drop their running game because Murray isn't here is just a pure fabrication of people's imagination. Hell if Dallas felt Murray was that important they would have never let him go or they would have traded up in the draft for someone like Gordon or Gurley. All signs point to the Cowboys faith in this offensive line which they have invested heavily in and continue to invest heavily in.

I totally agree with your last paragraph though. The empty backfield set worked last year but that doesn't mean I like it. At least not in short yardage situations. I don't know why you wouldn't at least threaten the defense with the potential to run by having a RB in there. It's not like the QB draw is going to happen with Romo. Smart defensive coordinators will see this stuff and coach their defense to be ready to stop it. I have no problem with the empty set on a 3rd and 7 or something like that but we were doing it on 3rd and 1 sometimes.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Believing Dallas is going to drop their running game because Murray isn't here is just a pure fabrication of people's imagination. Hell if Dallas felt Murray was that important they would have never let him go or they would have traded up in the draft for someone like Gordon or Gurley. All signs point to the Cowboys faith in this offensive line which they have invested heavily in and continue to invest heavily in.

I totally agree with your last paragraph though. The empty backfield set worked last year but that doesn't mean I like it. At least not in short yardage situations. I don't know why you wouldn't at least threaten the defense with the potential to run by having a RB in there. It's not like the QB draw is going to happen with Romo. Smart defensive coordinators will see this stuff and coach their defense to be ready to stop it. I have no problem with the empty set on a 3rd and 7 or something like that but we were doing it on 3rd and 1 sometimes.
Maybe I'm a battered wife who just saw her husband with a drink in his hand. It could turn out to be a root beer or an O'Douls but I'm concerned. I'll have to see them get stuffed in the first half and come out balanced in the second half to be sure their plan to remain a running team and have faith in the line is more than just the kind of plan everyone has until they get punched in the mouth.

Top Bottom