Ware Watch 2014

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

~headswing~

Booze?
He's not going to like this.

And I tend to agree. If we keep Hatcher and Ware as starters you might as well be prepared for the same D-line as last year. We will screw our cap worse in the long run and get the exact same results.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If our DL is Ware/Hatcher/2 high picks/Selvie/Crawford/Bass/Hayden our DL would be much better than it was last year, Lord knows we won't draft a DL until the 4th if we bring back both Ware and Hatcher though.

D

Deuce

If our DL is Ware/Hatcher/2 high picks/Selvie/Crawford/Bass/Hayden our DL would be much better than it was last year, Lord knows we won't draft a DL until the 4th if we bring back both Ware and Hatcher though.
I'd be happy with that group along with a Donald/Sutton/Easley pairing with Jeffcoat in April.

But something tells me Crawford is going to get his shot before anyone is drafted to his spot.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be happy with that group along with a Donald/Sutton/Easley pairing with Jeffcoat in April.

But something tells me Crawford is going to get his shot before anyone is drafted to his spot.
Probably right, I'm sure he's written in as our LDE in ink.

D

Deuce

And to be honest, I'm not 100% against the idea. There were times when I liked what I saw and if Selvie is his primary backup/rotational guy I think it could work.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The thing is with Ware's injuries the last couple of years we would still need Jeffcoat to backup Ware as our RE. Donald/Sutton/Easley to step in when Hatcher gets hurt or worn down. I'd love to draft those guys and go into a heavy rotation on the D-line. Just like everyone else has mentioned though, if we sign Hatcher and keep Ware, Dallas will probably draft RBs/LBers/TEs instead.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jeffcoat is a perfect RE. I'm not sure it really impacts Crawford. Hell imagine pass rushing situations. You could move Crawford to DT. Leave Hatcher/draft pick at the other DT spot. Then go with Jeffcoat at LE and Ware at RE. That would be a pretty killer D-line in pass rush situations. Then you could even blitz a guy like Wilber from the SLBer spot where I think he should be starting.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jeffcoat is a perfect RE. I'm not sure it really impacts Crawford. Hell imagine pass rushing situations. You could move Crawford to DT. Leave Hatcher/draft pick at the other DT spot. Then go with Jeffcoat at LE and Ware at RE. That would be a pretty killer D-line in pass rush situations. Then you could even blitz a guy like Wilber from the SLBer spot where I think he should be starting.
What do you think this organization values more, a 3rd/4th DE or a 3rd/4th WR or CB, 2nd RB, etc.?

Exactly.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm listening to 105.3 The Fan and Mike Fisher said the Cowboys had recent discussions with Ware and they told him they will cut him if he doesn't take the cut.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think this organization values more, a 3rd/4th DE or a 3rd/4th WR or CB, 2nd RB, etc.?

Exactly.
Well that sad part of that is Ware looked like he was on his last legs last year. So what you are really talking about is a 3rd DE for a year or two and then probably a starting RE for many years after. Jeffcoat has impressed me enough that I would have no problem taking him in the second round. I'd say he is my next favorite pass rusher after Dee Ford.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well that sad part of that is Ware looked like he was on his last legs last year. So what you are really talking about is a 3rd DE for a year or two and then probably a starting RE for many years after. Jeffcoat has impressed me enough that I would have no problem taking him in the second round. I'd say he is my next favorite pass rusher after Dee Ford.
I like Jeffcoat myself and I bet we could get even get him in the 3rd.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The problem is, we had all of those pieces minus the draft picks last draft and it was sufficient enough not to use high picks on the line. I could easily seeing him doing the same again this year.

D

Deuce

Exactly.
The good news about Jeffcoat is his marketability 1. being from UT and 2. being a former player/Super Bowl champions son.

I bet Jerruh is salivating over him. So much so that I expect them to take him in the 2nd which is probably a reach by some standards.

Cotton

Staff member
The thing is with Ware's injuries the last couple of years we would still need Jeffcoat to backup Ware as our RE. Donald/Sutton/Easley to step in when Hatcher gets hurt or worn down. I'd love to draft those guys and go into a heavy rotation on the D-line. Just like everyone else has mentioned though, if we sign Hatcher and keep Ware, Dallas will probably draft RBs/LBers/TEs instead.
Yeah, this.

D

Deuce

The problem is, we had all of those pieces minus the draft picks last draft and it was sufficient enough not to use high picks on the line. I could easily seeing him doing the same again this year.
Spencer was a huge piece to the puzzle last year that they depended on and only got 1 game out of.

Cotton

Staff member
Spencer was a huge piece to the puzzle last year that they depended on and only got 1 game out of.
We still have zero depth. Well, not really. Unless you're counting on Bass/Selvie as depth.

Cotton

Staff member
Selvie is quite good depth.
So, we have one reliable player as depth along the entire defensive line. We need to draft the line high.

Top Bottom