Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
For the record, Shefter was on the radio today saying he believes the Cowboys will take a QB if one is there.

Also Shefter, Palantonio, and a local eagles beat writer have all said in the past couple days that the eagles LOVE wentz and are willing to move up for him.

For whatever any of that's worth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the record, Shefter was on the radio today saying he believes the Cowboys will take a QB if one is there.

Also Shefter, Palantonio, and a local eagles beat writer have all said in the past couple days that the eagles LOVE wentz and are willing to move up for him.

For whatever any of that's worth.
Yeah I don't think the Eagles have a prayer at Wentz without giving up insane picks to get to 1. Which is part of the reason I don't want the Cowboys to wait for a QB in future years if one is available this year. Just sitting down at 8 or 9 of a draft means you have to give up the farm to get a top QB prospect.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm hesitant to trade up for Wentz simply because I know that he needs seasoning/time to develop, and of course that Goff in my opinion is generally as good of a prospect, and likely more ready to play right now. With that said, if we did do so, I wouldn't hate it because the cost shouldn't be too restrictive moving from 4 to 1.

The Eagles however don't have a 2nd rounder, the cost will be steeper going from 8 to 1, and they have more holes to fill than we do to become a contender. They will basically have to give up their entire 2016 draft for a QB who may not even play this year, and perhaps even a pick next year. Of course if he pans out as a true franchise QB you don't worry about that, but if he is only above average or good, and not great, their new regime is basically up shit's creek before they even got started.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Eagles however don't have a 2nd rounder, the cost will be steeper going from 8 to 1, and they have more holes to fill than we do to become a contender. They will basically have to give up their entire 2016 draft for a QB who may not even play this year, and perhaps even a pick next year. Of course if he pans out as a true franchise QB you don't worry about that, but if he is only above average or good, and not great, their new regime is basically up shit's creek before they even got started.
I doubt they can move up to 1 without including next years first rounder.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I doubt they can move up to 1 without including next years first rounder.
Maybe, although I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans were desperate to get out of that spot and basically took the Eagles entire draft this year (8th, 77th, 79th, 100th, a couple of their 5th-7th rounders) plus maybe a 2nd next year. But still, even giving up all that would be crippling to a team that has alot of holes unless Wentz turns out to be elite, if he only ends up being a pretty good QB like a Stafford or Flacco, you regret that move.

With that said, if you're the Cowboys do you give up 4, our 3rd, maybe a 6th and Leary to move up to 1?

Is that deal better than a deal where the Eagles give up their entire draft plus a 2nd next year?

If we're convinced that Wentz is that guy I'd be fine with it since we keep most of our draft in tact. For the Titans, you still have a shot at the very top prospects at 4 while at 8 you wouldn't, and you even get a pick that is 10 spots higher than the highest possible pick the Eagles could give you aside from 8.

Is that+a young starter at OG in Leary enough to override the other 2016 picks+the 2nd in 2017 that the Eagles would be offering?

I think so.

And if the Eagles want to give up an entire draft+their 1st next year, more power to them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is that deal better than a deal where the Eagles give up their entire draft plus a 2nd next year?
Considering they are only dropping to 4 I would say absolutely it's better. When you're talking about the top 10 picks moving down to 8 is a way different then moving down to 4.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Considering they are only dropping to 4 I would say absolutely it's better. When you're talking about the top 10 picks moving down to 8 is a way different then moving down to 4.
Yes, I agree, and giving up Leary+67+a late rounder or two is perfectly acceptable if we feel like Wentz will be our franchise QB. I cannot see the Eagles giving up much more than 2016 draft+a pick next year, and even that would be enough to sink their team assuming Wentz isn't elite.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The eagles could throw in Fletcher Cox. It wouldn't shock me.
That would trump pretty much anything we could do within reason but it would also be a colossal risk to take. Their roster is very flimsy at this point and all they really have to hang their hats on is a pretty solid front 7, primarily their DT's/LB's, with Cox obviously being the team's best overall player.

If they made a move like that and Wentz doesn't end up being a Luck-level QB they will be screwed for years.

Genghis Khan

That would trump pretty much anything we could do within reason but it would also be a colossal risk to take. Their roster is very flimsy at this point and all they really have to hang their hats on is a pretty solid front 7, primarily their DT's/LB's, with Cox obviously being the team's best overall player.

If they made a move like that and Wentz doesn't end up being a Luck-level QB they will be screwed for years.
True but they were basically willing to trade him for mariota last year, and I think they aren't in love with paying him $100 million.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
True but they were basically willing to trade him for mariota last year, and I think they aren't in love with paying him $100 million.
If they end up giving up the majority of their 2016 draft+Cox for Wentz then I welcome it.

Carl

RIP Brother
There is no way I am trading up from 4 to draft a QB. Absolutely, unequivocally no. That being said, I do like the cut of young Paxton Lynch's jib. So maybe a trade up later in round one.

Carl

RIP Brother
Personally, I like Miles Jack. I think Smith is a better player, but his knee issues really concern me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah and then it kind of comes down to the Titans and if they want to give 100 mil to a guy like that. The Patriots basically dumped a top notch young pass rusher for a second roud pick to avoid doing that. Getting Cox isn't that valuable to the Titans unless he will be there for years.

Genghis Khan

Yeah and then it kind of comes down to the Titans and if they want to give 100 mil to a guy like that. The Patriots basically dumped a top notch young pass rusher for a second roud pick to avoid doing that. Getting Cox isn't that valuable to the Titans unless he will be there for years.
Excellent point.

Genghis Khan

There is no way I am trading up from 4 to draft a QB. Absolutely, unequivocally no. That being said, I do like the cut of young Paxton Lynch's jib. So maybe a trade up later in round one.
If we trade up for Lynch it would be patently retarded.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I bet he gets the La'el Collins treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom