The Professional Wrestling Thread

Newt

DCC 4Life
I know I can't be the only grown man that still watching professional wrestling.

We are taking the kid to Hell in a Cell this weekend at American Airlines Center. Hopefully the matches are worth the price of admission. Has anyone else ever been to a WWE pay per view?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have not been to a PPV, but went to a Monday Night Raw once. It was my son's birthday and I went in expecting to hate it, but damn if that was not one hell of a show.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I haven't been to a Monday night raw in over ten years, but we took the kid to a show last year for his birthday and he loved it. It wasn't even a televised show. This should blow his mind, we haven't told him yet that we are going but they had a match last night and ended up lowering the cage and he thought that was awesome so I'm looking forward to his reaction sunday.

Also, I really want to buy a big championship belt and wear it around.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I haven't been to a Monday night raw in over ten years, but we took the kid to a show last year for his birthday and he loved it. It wasn't even a televised show. This should blow his mind, we haven't told him yet that we are going but they had a match last night and ended up lowering the cage and he thought that was awesome so I'm looking forward to his reaction sunday.

Also, I really want to buy a big championship belt and wear it around.
It was cool because the show was in Vegas, so lots of people showed up...figure they wanted to hang around after the show. The Rock showed up and debuted the new championship belt, so I got to see history...so it's real to me.

D

Deuce

Has anyone else ever been to a WWE pay per view?
I went to the 1st and 3rd Bash at the Beach PPV's back in the 90's. :unsure

Good time, though I did go to one Raw show in the early 00's and the showmanship involved was way beyond what WCW was doing 5 years earlier. You're kid will have fun.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I went to the 1st and 3rd Bash at the Beach PPV's back in the 90's. :unsure

Good time, though I did go to one Raw show in the early 00's and the showmanship involved was way beyond what WCW was doing 5 years earlier. You're kid will have fun.
Bash at the Beach PPV's were awesome. WCW back in the day was good stuff. The PPV's were anyways, didn't get to watch much on regular TV back then.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Wrestlemania in the Bay Area 2015. Im in.
I saw something the other day saying WrestleMania 2016 would be in Jerry World, if so I will be there.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I went to a few Monday Nitros back in the 90's, and a a bunch of WWF house shows when I was a kid, but I never went to any PPV's.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Bash at the Beach PPV's were awesome. WCW back in the day was good stuff. The PPV's were anyways, didn't get to watch much on regular TV back then.
WCW late 90's wrestling is probably my favorite all time. Once that came to an end, I stopped watching wrestling altogether.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
WCW late 90's wrestling is probably my favorite all time. Once that came to an end, I stopped watching wrestling altogether.
Yeah, it is just awful now. Very few younger guys who work old school. When a stiff like Cena is appreciated you know the rest of the field sucks.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I don't mind Cena, I think WWE limits a lot of stuff to keep the shows PG. They also seem to hold back younger talent instead of promote it. NXT is helping with that though, bringing in a lot of indie wrestlers and getting them ready for the big shows.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, it is just awful now. Very few younger guys who work old school. When a stiff like Cena is appreciated you know the rest of the field sucks.
I've watched very very little Wrestling in the last few years, and what I did watch was just a few min in passing because someone else was watching it or whatever. But in the little I've seen, I've noticed that the personalities are lame and the charisma isn't there.

None of the guys I've seen could hold a candle to the old personalities of the 80's and 90's. Forget even mentioning Ric Flair, these guys have nothing on Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Rick Rude, etc. Just zero charisma.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was a Superfly Snooka fan growing up.

D

Deuce

I've watched very very little Wrestling in the last few years, and what I did watch was just a few min in passing because someone else was watching it or whatever. But in the little I've seen, I've noticed that the personalities are lame and the charisma isn't there.

None of the guys I've seen could hold a candle to the old personalities of the 80's and 90's. Forget even mentioning Ric Flair, these guys have nothing on Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Rick Rude, etc. Just zero charisma.
I honestly think all the gimics are just taken. Anything you come up with for someone today, it's probably some variation of someone before him. Nothing original.

So now it's just everyone wrestling with their regular names and sounding like baffoons when they get on the mic. All the smoothness of the characters died with Stone Cold and The Rock.

Carp

DCC 4Life
When I did see it live I was one of the unwashed mouth breathers yelling "Rocky, Rocky, Rocky" when THe Rock came out. It was pretty great.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I honestly think all the gimics are just taken. Anything you come up with for someone today, it's probably some variation of someone before him. Nothing original.

So now it's just everyone wrestling with their regular names and sounding like baffoons when they get on the mic. All the smoothness of the characters died with Stone Cold and The Rock.
Bray Wyatt is the best with a mic right now and its not even close, he has a good gimic and character. Creepy and cultish. Everyone drops hot soup on themselves when the Rock or stone cold show up to a show now because they know even if they don't fight anyone its still the best part of the night.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

That's a good point.

Do they ever go down the mysterious route anymore? Like the black magic/supernatural angle ala Kamala, Undertaker, Papa Shango? Or is it all just characters based around everyday stereotypes?

D

Deuce

Bray Wyatt is the best with a mic right now and its not even close, he has a good gimic and character. Creepy and cultish. Everyone drops hot soup on themselves when the Rock or stone cold show up to a show now because they know even if they don't fight anyone its still the best part of the night.
I don't know who Bray Wyatt is, but I can tell you people like Cena, Sheamus and Daniel Bryan annoy the piss out of me. Anytime I flip by it and see them on, I won't even stop to see what's happening.

Newt

DCC 4Life
That's a good point.

Do they ever go down the mysterious route anymore? Like the black magic/supernatural angle ala Kamala, Undertaker, Papa Shango? Or is it all just characters based around everyday stereotypes?
I don't think they get as far fetched any more, papa shango was a trip. Bray Wyatt is probably the closest thing to what you are talking about and he is pretty good.

A lot of stupid gimmicks, almost like they want the show to be funny but have no idea how to pull it off. I would rather just watch the matches than all the BS that goes along with them anyways.

Top Bottom