Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Redskins | Week 2 | 09-18-16

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't crazy about Goff coming out of college, but it's hard to say how much of his struggles are him and how much are the staff's fault.

The Rams have been crap for a long time and they haven't developed any young offensive talent in recent memory.

I used to be a fan of Fisher, but I don't think he's very good anymore.
Goff hasn't even played yet. I don't think anyone should bury the guy simply because the Rams are taking it slow with him. Maybe Goff turns out to be a total stud. But yeah for Goff to ever really shine the Rams need to get an offensive line and recievers. Their talent on offense is shit other then RB.

dallen

Senior Tech
:lol

True story! I think Browns fans are probably on suicide watch also. Knowing they fucked up and passed on Wentz and will likely screw up the picks they got from the eagles also.
Many of the Browns scouts fired before the draft favored Carson Wentz

by Jason La Canfora

The Browns' decision to pass on Carson Wentz in the draft combined with the rookie's sterling performance against them in Week 1, a potential season-ending injury to Browns starter Robert Griffin III and comments from Browns official Paul DePodesta intimating the Browns didn't believe Wentz would be a "top-20 quarterback" have created a tempest in Cleveland. As it turns out, not everyone involved in scouting quarterbacks in Cleveland before the 2016 draft was in agreement.

According to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, several of the more seasoned scouts and evaluators the Browns parted with prior to the draft -- an unusual time to release such employees -- actually preferred Wentz to quarterback Jared Goff and believed him to be the greater pro prospect. It was clear to many in the organization dating back to December, when the Browns held intense draft meetings, that the newly-empowered analytics department, soon to be spearheaded by DePodesta, strongly preferred Goff. And new coach Hue Jackson and his offensive coordinator, Pep Hamilton, were not high on Wentz but prized Goff, sources said, and made that clear to the rest of the organization.

The Browns opted to release six members of the organization -- many of them experienced, old-school scouts -- just three weeks before the draft. At the time, they were bailing on the quarterback market in the draft (and Wentz in particular) and shopping their second-overall pick to other teams. Many of those men, a group that included former general managers and personnel directors, had never met DePodesta personally before being let go, and, with their contracts set to expire after the draft, they were going to be let go in 2016 as part of downsizing anyway.

But the timing of their release raised eyebrows then and continues to generate chatter now given the high-profile way in which their quarterback decision has played out and the fact that the segment of personnel they let go were more pro-Wentz than others.

Wentz has played just one game, and will surely face some hurdles in his rookie season, but the reviews on his debut were overly positive. The Browns could end up with the first pick in the draft, and evaluators are already gushing over Notre Dame junior quarterback DeShone Kizer. The Browns will almost certainly be taking a passer very high in 2017.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/many-of-the-browns-scouts-fired-before-the-draft-favored-carson-wentz/

Ooopsie

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many of the Browns scouts fired before the draft favored Carson Wentz
If I were the Rams I wouldn't be pissed off just yet because it's possible that Goff is a legit QB who is just sitting and learning, instead of getting the crap kicked out of him. Browns fans though? They didn't even take a shot at one of these QBs. The best they could muster was Cody Kessler in the third round. A guy who I at least though wouldn't get drafted until more like the sixth round because of his weak arm and small stature.

The one bright spot for the Browns is that they will have a top draft pick again next year. Maybe then they will finally get it right.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The Eagles are still a pretty shit team, the Bears and Browns are two of the worst 5-10 teams in the league and they played them mostly even through 3 quarters, pulling away late as both teams crumbled.

I thought the Eagles were a 5 win team, I'll bump that up to 7 at this point but it would take a huge horseshoe up their ass to get to 8 wins or more.
Wentz and the Eagles have looked good but have only played the Browns and Bears. We'll have a better feel for what they are next week when they play the Steelers.

data

Forbes #1
For the Browns, they could have a "Curse of Wentz" for passing him up, but...it's the Browns. There's nothing further a curse inflict.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wentz and the Eagles have looked good but have only played the Browns and Bears. We'll have a better feel for what they are next week when they play the Steelers.
I agree, although there isn't much shame in getting beat by the Steelers either. They are a really good team. I doubt the Eagles are ready to be Superbowl contenders this year like the Steelers will be.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Browns are just a complete cluster in every way imaginable so it's no surprise that they had that type of dysfunction going on. As far as Wentz, I'm surprised that he has played as well as he has, especially in terms of how quick he's making decisions, I definitely loved him as a prospect but thought he'd need more seasoning.

I still see clear weaknesses like him staring down receivers that will probably come back to bite him when the level of competition rises, and the Eagles are clearly scheming up easy throws to get the ball out of his hands quick, but you can't complain about what he's done so far.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Browns are just a complete cluster in every way imaginable so it's no surprise that they had that type of dysfunction going on. As far as Wentz, I'm surprised that he has played as well as he has, especially in terms of how quick he's making decisions, I definitely loved him as a prospect but thought he'd need more seasoning.

I still see clear weaknesses like him staring down receivers that will probably come back to bite him when the level of competition rises, and the Eagles are clearly scheming up easy throws to get the ball out of his hands quick, but you can't complain about what he's done so far.
He is basically a one read guy at this point. The thing is his arm allows him to sort of get away with throwing into triple coverage for example. Plus it's not like he has time to go through progressions, the Eagles offensive line is a joke.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cutler's a poor man's Romo.
Cutler should be a high end backup for someone in the NFL. His lack of competitive spirit would probably work well in a backup role because he won't be trying to force the starter out of his job.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Did Thornton not play? I'm pretty sure he played.

Top Bottom