Archer: Fiesty Jerry Jones - Cowboys QB Tony Romo can play 4-5 more years

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fiesty Jerry Jones: Cowboys QB Tony Romo can play 4-5 more years

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas - On Monday, Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said Tony Romo has a lot of football left in him. On Tuesday, owner and general manager Jerry Jones put a timetable on it: four to five years.

Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, Jones became testy when the subjects of Romo's age (he turns 36 next April) and recent injury history were broached. Romo suffered a broken left collarbone for the second time this season in the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Carolina Panthers and is out for the year. It's the third time since 2010 he has broken the collarbone.

He also had two back surgeries in 2013.

"This is not a damn debate, guys," Jones said. "This is not a debate we're having here. Do you know that I don't know if he's got four or five years? You asked me my opinion and I can give you all the reasons why: the back, or I can give you clavicle, or I can give you any other type of injuries that are there.

"But you're asking me what I think, and I think we've got outstanding quarterbacking ahead of us for the next four or five years. That's not a downer. Will we be looking to develop and get talent behind Romo? Absolutely."

Since 1991, the Cowboys have drafted only two quarterbacks: Quincy Carter in the second round in 2001 and Stephen McGee in the fourth round in 2009.

With a 3-8 record, the Cowboys are looking at a potential top-five pick for the first time since 2003 and could be in position to take one of the top quarterbacks available as Romo's potential successor.

They have mostly filled Romo's backup role with veterans, such as Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna and Kyle Orton, over the years. Brandon Weeden served as the backup the past two seasons and lost four starts in place of an injured Romo before he was released. The Cowboys acquired Matt Cassel in a trade with the Buffalo Bills in September; he went 0-4.

With Romo out, Cassel will be the starter again.

Like he has done in the past, Jones said he does not view Romo, who is signed through 2019, as the typical 35-year-old quarterback, because the quarterback did not play his first three-plus seasons.

"I think if you look at his playing time, if you look at the years he has actually played, he started late," Jones said on The Fan. "He really has excellent skill relative to where his skill set began, what his skill set is. He's got the relative skills. More important to anything, from a mental standpoint, and from the things that also mean so much at quarterback, he's at the top of the list. So I think four to five years."

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Thought Quincy/Henson/Hutch were the answer to Troy
Thought Weeden would make a capable backup
Thinks Tony has five years left

gentlemen, the man deserves the benefit of the doubt

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It's pretty clear that the end of Aikman's career didn't teach this old coot much of anything. 4-5 more years just because other QBs have played to the age of 40? Romo will be lucky if he can walk straight by then. Develop a QB behind Romo that isn't some dark horse, no name project or another team's reject? I'll believe it when I see it.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Some of this has to be schtick, right? I mean, he knows Tony's body is starting to fall apart. Heck he had to be restrained from grabbing Manzel, so it's not like he's oblivious, right?

Then I read bbgun's post :shrug

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Rev

Staff member

Rev

Staff member
Maybe you did but I don't seem to be able to tell who they are. :art
Manziel does play for the Browns and I did say for Manziel yes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's pretty clear that the end of Aikman's career didn't teach this old coot much of anything. 4-5 more years just because other QBs have played to the age of 40? Romo will be lucky if he can walk straight by then. Develop a QB behind Romo that isn't some dark horse, no name project or another team's reject? I'll believe it when I see it.
Old heads like us get it because we have seen and lived it.

Rev

Staff member
Do you think Jones would trade Romo after the position he took on him today?
I would hope he wouldnt trade him for Manziel but your question was whether anybody would trade for Romo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would hope he wouldnt trade him for Manziel but your question was whether anybody would trade for Romo.
It was more directed toward the market place in the NFL although I obviously didn't make it clear. I don't think Jones would be interested in Manziel except to become a replacement behind Romo. I can't see him trading Romo for him or anyone else.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'm betting the Browns owner would blow Charlie Sheen for a QB of Romo's quality, even on his last legs.

townsend

Banned
It might break my heart to see Romo on his last legs, pulling a Jeff Garcia in Cleveland.

townsend

Banned
Manziel will be a FA next year. Browns will cut their losses with anotherb1st round bust, and uncle Jerry will scoop him up with a quickness. It'll be 2016s McFadden style signing.

dallen

Senior Tech
Tell me who you think would take on a 15 million per year deal on Romo.
I think I might be confused. Are you actually saying you don't think the Browns would trade Manziel for Romo straight up?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think I might be confused. Are you actually saying you don't think the Browns would trade Manziel for Romo straight up?
Some of that but more so who in the NFL would trade for Romo with his age and injury history and take on his contract. I didn't phrase it that way originally. As to the trade prospects with Cleveland, I don't think Jones would pursue a trade for Manziel. He might trade someone else or make a deal cor him butt Romo wouldn't be part of the deal.

Top Bottom