Time for Tony Romo's successor? The top 5 quarterbacks in next year's draft

Carp

DCC 4Life
Since when is a mock the reason to consider a QB legit?

And those mocks have them going to teams that are desperate at QB, but hey a guy is projected to go in the 1st so they must be legit.
Teams do not take QBs in the first round if they are not thought of as a legit starter. You can argue otherwise, but you would be wrong.

NFL Draft Scout is a pretty reputable source...and the top 3 QBs are ranked in the top 19...that is a pretty good indicator that they are legit QB prospects. You don't draft a QB that high for depth...you take one there because you think they can be a starter.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Teams do not take QBs in the first round if they are not thought of as a legit starter. You can argue otherwise, but you would be wrong.

NFL Draft Scout is a pretty reputable source...and the top 3 QBs are ranked in the top 19...that is a pretty good indicator that they are legit QB prospects. You don't draft a QB that high for depth...you take one there because you think they can be a starter.
I can see what jiggy is saying, basically that the situation is fluid and just because guys are ranked and mocked in the top 10 now doesn't mean they will be once the process plays out, I just think that both Lynch and Goff will still be ranked and mocked in the top 5-10 come April/May.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can see what jiggy is saying, basically that the situation is fluid and just because guys are ranked and mocked in the top 10 now doesn't mean they will be once the process plays out, I just think that both Lynch and Goff will still be ranked and mocked in the top 5-10 come April/May.
Mocks are fine for what they are intended for but I would hope the team scouts would determine the fit for the position. Then the GM can see how the mock plays out for the draft strategy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fuckin Jones on the radio blabbing about 4 or 5 more years of Romo, how first round QBs don't work out and of course, Manziel.

dallen

Senior Tech
Jerry says Romo has 4-5 years left, you guys!

dallen

Senior Tech
Fuckin Jones on the radio blabbing about 4 or 5 more years of Romo, how first round QBs don't work out and of course, Manziel.
Damn, timepwnt

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, it's going to suck when we draft Jalen Ramsey at 3rd overall and then take Hackenberg in the 2nd.

Jerry's voice is diminishing though, I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen recognized the rarity of the situation and forces the QB pick despite what Jerry or Jason say.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If they drop to a lower round projection then I might change my mind about them being lesser prospects. As of now though, they are ranked as top 10 prospects.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Didn't hear it myself but all the beat writers are tweeting Jerry just said Romo is the qb for the next 5 years period, and we will draft one after that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Didn't hear it myself but all the beat writers are tweeting Jerry just said Romo is the qb for the next 5 years period, and we will draft one after that.
Jerry got all shitty, four or five years, that's my opinion, it's not a damn debate, blah blah blah.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yea, it's going to suck when we draft Jalen Ramsey at 3rd overall and then take Hackenberg in the 2nd.

Jerry's voice is diminishing though, I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen recognized the rarity of the situation and forces the QB pick despite what Jerry or Jason say.
Maybe he can draw it on a napkin for Jerry like he had to do with Terrell Owens.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry got all shitty, four or five years, that's my opinion, it's not a damn debate, blah blah blah.
So get ready for Quinthy 2.0?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Eh. Learned a long time ago not to hold much stock in what comes out of Jerry's mouth. Don't see the point in having a coronary over anything he says. If we don't draft a QB in the spring, I'll be pissed then. Waste of time now, imo.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Eh. Learned a long time ago not to hold much stock in what comes out of Jerry's mouth. Don't see the point in having a coronary over anything he says. If we don't draft a QB in the spring, I'll be pissed then. Waste of time now, imo.
This is true. Jerry's opinions blow with the wind. Things could happen between now and the end of the season, or between now and the draft, that will change his mind. It's disheartening to hear him say what he says, but you are right. You can't put a lot of stock in to what he says, because he's so easily influenced by circumstances Or other people's opinions.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is true. Jerry's opinions blow with the wind. Things could happen between now and the end of the season, or between now and the draft, that will change his mind. It's disheartening to hear him say what he says, but you are right. You can't put a lot of stock in to what he says, because he's so easily influenced by circumstances Or other people's opinions.
That's because he doesn't what in the fuck he's doing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Time for Cowboys to draft Tony Romo's replacement

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The lie Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett told themselves this offseason about Tony Romo's health must end.

That lie -- the one about how Romo will hold up physically, so the backup quarterback isn't all that important -- is the primary reason why the Dallas Cowboys are 3-8. Their backup quarterbacks are 0-7 this season.

Jones and Garrett would vigorously disagree. So what? Their actions speak so loud we can't hear what they're saying about their backup quarterback situation.

As soon as they lost Romo the first time on Sept. 20 because of a broken collarbone, the Cowboys acquired Matt Cassel from the Buffalo Bills as his backup. A week later, the Cowboys started talking about a quarterback competition.

Two weeks and two losses later, Cassel had the job. He's 0-4 as a starter.

Cassel's quick ascension is an indication the Cowboys never believed in Brandon Weeden as their backup, which is why they benched him so quickly. It's also an indication they should've never started the season with him as the backup.

He was ineffective in his only start in 2014 and they should've believed their eyes instead of convincing themselves that he would improve with a full offseason and training camp to grasp the nuances of the offense.

Then again, it wouldn't have mattered because Garrett, playcaller Scott Linehan and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson emphasized the importance of not making a mistake so much that Weeden rarely looked more than 10 yards downfield before throwing a safe pass to a running back or tight end.

It's time for the Cowboys to invest a premium pick in the first two rounds on a rookie quarterback who can eventually become the starter, when Romo is ready to retire.

That's better than hoping Garrett and his crew can turn Johnny Manziel, Robert Griffin III or Colin Kaepernick -- each a young, failed starter who could be a free agent in the offseason -- into a viable backup. If the Cowboys want to keep Cassel on the roster and go with three quarterbacks, so be it as long as they add Romo's eventual replacement in the offseason.

Understand, Dallas has drafted only five quarterbacks since Jones bought the team in 1989 -- and only two since 2001.

Their approach was fine when the Cowboys could depend on Romo being in the lineup every day, but he had two back surgeries in 2014 and broke his collarbone twice this season. Don't forget he also missed the final regular-season game of the 2013 season with a playoff berth on the line.

Old players get hurt more often and take longer to recover. Romo is 35 and will play at least three more seasons before it makes sense to release him. The salary cap penalties are too high to realistically do it before then.

Still, it's silly to expect Romo to play 16 games anymore, and it's irresponsible to let this team be held hostage by its backup quarterback.

Finally, it's time to draft Romo's replacement so the season doesn't end the next time he gets hurt.

dallen

Senior Tech
Weren't Jon Kitna and Kyle Orton brought in because Jerry had learned his lesson about backup quarterbacks? I guess he forgot.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There are only 4 acceptable scenarios in my mind in the first round, assuming we are picking in the top 5:

-Draft Goff
-Draft Bosa
-Draft Lynch
-Trade down for a bounty that includes a 2017 1st rounder

Anything other than that means that we either drafted a RT, non-pass rushing LB or a DB, in which case fuck Jerry, Jason, Stephen, McClay and whoever the hell else was involved in that decision.

data

Forbes #1
Hell, I'd be fine with drafting a QB in the 1st and 2nd round.

Top Bottom