Time for Tony Romo's successor? The top 5 quarterbacks in next year's draft

dallen

Senior Tech
None of these guys will do. We can't draft a QB unless they have a two syllable last name. Single or multi-syllable QBs rarely win Super Bowls. I give you Brady, Wilson, Mannings, Aikman, Staubach, Bradshaw, Plunkett, Elway, Flacco. Rodgers, Stabler etc. Far more than the others. I can only come up with 5 or six QBs with names with one syllable or 3. So history says they have to have a two syllable last name.
Is this a pro Brandon Allen post?

dallen

Senior Tech
That guy intrigues me for some reason. Don't hear much buzz around him though.
Yeah, and I've wondered what I am missing. He's one of the best QBs in the SEC, a 3 year starter that has taken a big step up every year he's played. He plays in a pro-style offense. He's got good stats, especially this year and should have decent measurables. I know I've got a little bit of rose-colored glasses when it comes to Arkansas, but I'm not saying he should be a 1st round guy. He seems like a pretty decent mid-round pick to me though and you just never hear anything about him. I know I'd rather have him than some spread option guy like Dak Prescott.

dallen

Senior Tech
*I am not endorsing Brandon Allen as Romo's successor. Even I am not that much of a homer*

dallen

Senior Tech
I will say that if the team is confident that Romo will play at least 2 more years and don't want to invest a 1st round pick in a QB that may never play, a player like Allen is the kind of guy I would target now. Someone in the later rounds who could backup Romo, and maybe develop into a starter if you are lucky. That of course assumes Wilson is fired and we invest in a decent QB coach, but I'm talking about what I would do not what is likely. There are things we should be doing now to prepare even if Romo sticks it out a while.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I will say that if the team is confident that Romo will play at least 2 more years and don't want to invest a 1st round pick in a QB that may never play, a player like Allen is the kind of guy I would target now. Someone in the later rounds who could backup Romo, and maybe develop into a starter if you are lucky. That of course assumes Wilson is fired and we invest in a decent QB coach, but I'm talking about what I would do not what is likely. There are things we should be doing now to prepare even if Romo sticks it out a while.
I think now is the time to look for a replacement QB. I am old school I guess but I like to see them on the roster learning behind the current starter before you throw them in the fire.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think now is the time to look for a replacement QB. I am old school I guess but I like to see them on the roster learning behind the current starter before you throw them in the fire.
I agree, I wouldn't mind Allen as a developmental 4th or some such but if we have a shot at Lynch or Goff in the top 5 I think we have to take it. I like the Wentz kid too but suspect he may be gone by the time we pick at the top of the 2nd.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If we pass on QBs like Lynch and Goff to take Jaylen Smith or Myles Jack...I will be furious. I could live with Bosa, but I keep seeing LBs linked to the Cowboys.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we pass on QBs like Lynch and Goff to take Jaylen Smith or Myles Jack...I will be furious. I could live with Bosa, but I keep seeing LBs linked to the Cowboys.
Well, I think we can assume McClain is a goner. Lee is about to concuss himself out of the league. I can see why they might want to draft one. It is the defensive version of TE. You just know we are getting one. Probably from the Big Ten schools too.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Being linked to any player at this point is pure speculation but I would have no issue taking Ragland if we are out of the top 5 preferably with a short move down but we need a true stud MLB.

I think Mclain is to much of a wild card.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well, I think we can assume McClain is a goner. Lee is about to concuss himself out of the league. I can see why they might want to draft one. It is the defensive version of TE. You just know we are getting one. Probably from the Big Ten schools too.
Ragland.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah it's also a very safe position to draft. So while the odds are you won't win a bunch more games because of the LBer you drafted you also probably won't be cutting the guy in a couple years. It's like a TE. Even an average one you can find a use for.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think it would be dumb as hell to pass on a legit QB to take a LB. At some point you have to actually draft a QB for the future...and it would be nice for the drafted player to have at least one year behind Romo. I am far more comfortable taking LBs 2nd or later than I am taking a QB 2nd or later.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Being linked to any player at this point is pure speculation but I would have no issue taking Ragland if we are out of the top 5 preferably with a short move down but we need a true stud MLB.

I think Mclain is to much of a wild card.
Any talk about players or position in the lead up to the draft is speculation.

dallen

Senior Tech
Lucky you. I keep seeing CB and S

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think it would be dumb as hell to pass on a legit QB to take a LB. At some point you have to actually draft a QB for the future...and it would be nice for the drafted player to have at least one year behind Romo. I am far more comfortable taking LBs 2nd or later than I am taking a QB 2nd or later.
That's the issue, what is a legit QB?

There are no surefire guys in this draft, I agree if you think the QB is the better guy take him but do you take a QB just because?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

There are no surefire guys in this draft, I agree if you think the QB is the better guy take him but do you take a QB just because?
If a QB is projected to go in the top 5 I would say that they are legit.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Goff and Lynch are legit...and I could be persuaded to include Cook in the legit barrel too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Absolutely.

Top Bottom