Saints Team To Watch In Potential Trade For Cowboys G Ronald Leary

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Saints have pursued a trade for Cowboys G Ronald Leary for the past few months.

The Cowboys are clearly in the market for a backup quarterback and some have said that Leary could be used as a trade chip to net them a quarterback. However, Rapoport doesn’t specifically say the Saints would make one of their backup quarterbacks available in a trade for Leary.

Leary elected to skip the Cowboys’ voluntary OTAs in the hope of facilitating a trade. However, the Cowboys made it clear that they weren’t giving him away and Leary later attended the team’s mandatory three-day minicamp.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Oh Lord. I'd far rather have a draft pick for Leary and take my chances at QB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If they want to trade Leary for a QB they might as well just trade him for a 3rd or 4th then turn around and trade a lower pick for Glennon or McCown.

Leary is worth more than any of these backup QB's and I'd be disappointed if we moved him for one of them unless it also involved a pick coming back. If I'm moving Leary I want at least a 4th or a potential defensive starter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure it's going to be a shit McCown for Leary straight up trade. McCown will be out of the league in a year and Leary will be the starting guard for the Saints.

Garrett Grayson would at least be interesting. But lets face it, if the Saints are giving up on a 25 year old former third round pick QB then he probably just sucks outright. I thought he was a massive reach when he was drafted and I haven't seen anything to change my mind since.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saints pursuing trade for Cowboys OL Ronald Leary

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Aug. 4, 2016 at 10:46 a.m. Updated: Aug. 4, 2016 at 11:06 a.m.
While the Dallas Cowboys eye the market for a quarterback, could they be angling to trade a lineman, too?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that fans should "keep an eye" on veteran guard Ronald Leary. Per a source informed of the talks, the Saints have pursued the experienced Cowboys blocker to no avail over the past few months.

A swap would make sense on multiple levels. Leary -- stuck playing behind La'el Collins -- asked for a trade in the offseason, but Dallas never received an appropriate offer. The Saints, though, could immediately plug Leary in at left guard, where Senio Kelemete and Tim Lelito are battling for a starting job. Lelito stood out last season against the run, but New Orleans remembers Leary's work from 2014, when he dominated the NFL as a road-grading guard in Dallas.

Carrying a base salary of $2.553 million this season, Leary becomes a free agent in March. At age 27, he still has plenty of football left and could help lineman-needy teams. The question boils down to what the Saints can offer in return. The Cowboys need quarterback help, but New Orleans can't offer much in that category. The other option would be a defensive lineman -- or maybe a draft pick.

We've seen trade action kick up in NFL circles over the past few seasons, and the 'Boys continue to operate like a team gunning for the Super Bowl. We'll find out soon enough if Leary will play out the year in Big D, The Big Easy -- or somewhere else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Saints don't have much to offer. There really isn't anyone on that team I would want who they would likely part with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Saints don't have much to offer. There really isn't anyone on that team I would want who they would likely part with.
Yeah their only D-lineman that interest me at all are basically untouchable. The rest of their D-line depth chart is trash.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Then the only thing worth trading for would be a pick, but he'd still be a FA this March NO probably isn't offering much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then the only thing worth trading for would be a pick, but he'd still be a FA this March NO probably isn't offering much.
That's why I think a fourth would be a pipe dream. As Cowboys fans we would be livid if the team gave up a fourth round pick for a one year rental starter at guard. Also Leary's value to the Cowboys has to be viewed as a one year rental backup guard. Because the Cowboys either keep him for a year as a backup or they trade him for a pick. So with that in mind I'd take less then a fourth. I would hate to have him not play for us this season and then we get nothing in return for him.

I still wouldn't trade Leary for a shitty backup QB. That's a waste. Give me a draft pick or a decent young QB. Considering no NFL teams want to give up a decent young QB, it probably means draft pick.

dallen

Senior Tech
Unless they are offering Brees I don't see the point

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Saints don't have anything we'd want defensively assuming they aren't willing to part with Cameron Jordan or any of their recent 1st rounders, Stephone Anthony, Kenny Vaccaro and Sheldon Rankins.

I think I'd do it for Delvin Breaux since he'd shore up our CB depth and give us a functional piece moving forward so that we don't have to overdraft a CB if/when Claiborne and Carr are gone.

Other than that, at least a 4th round pick or GTFO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Saints don't have anything we'd want defensively assuming they aren't willing to part with Cameron Jordan or any of their recent 1st rounders, Stephone Anthony, Kenny Vaccaro and Sheldon Rankins.

I think I'd do it for Delvin Breaux since he'd shore up our CB depth and give us a functional piece moving forward so that we don't have to overdraft a CB if/when Claiborne and Carr are gone.

Other than that, at least a 4th round pick or GTFO.
So if they offered a fifth, you would tell them to GTFO and hold onto Leary for the season? I think that would be silly.

townsend

Banned
So if they offered a fifth, you would tell them to GTFO and hold onto Leary for the season? I think that would be silly.
I'd absolutely tell them to GTFO. When have we ever gone through a season with no oline injuries whatsoever? Even if Leary starts for one game that's likely more valuable than a 5th round pick. Since one 2015 game with a shit backup guard ended with Romo getting a broken collarbone in Philly.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would. We need the depth too much to throw Leary away for just a 5th.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd absolutely tell them to GTFO. When have we ever gone through a season with no oline injuries whatsoever? Even if Leary starts for one game that's likely more valuable than a 5th round pick. Since one 2015 game with a shit backup guard ended with Romo getting a broken collarbone in Philly.
Yep.

Cotton

Staff member
Depth is and has been this team's Achilles heel for the past few seasons.
It's quite obvious to anyone paying attention. Injuries have killed us and it's not just the Romo injuries.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would. We need the depth too much to throw Leary away for just a 5th.
Lol so you think 2 starts at most out of a guard is worth at least a foruth round pick? Thats stupid, I'm sorry.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Lol so you think 2 starts at most out of a guard is worth at least a foruth round pick? Thats stupid, I'm sorry.
Leary is quality depth. The only way I give him up is for replacing some critical position with quality depth.

Top Bottom