DMN: The five best Dallas Cowboys offensive linemen of all time, ranked

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The five best Dallas Cowboys offensive linemen of all time, ranked: Larry Allen reigns; who is after him?
By SportsDayDFW.com

Editor's note: SportsDay is beginning a series that attempts to figure out the best Dallas Cowboys players at each position. Today, we examine offensive linemen.

The Dallas Cowboys' organization is one of great success and has an illustrious history. There have been some big names who have worn jerseys for America's Team.

Out of all of the offensive linemen in franchise history, who was the best? That's what our panel of writers and columnists tried to determine.

Voters each named their top eight linemen. A first-place vote counted for eight points, second place gets seven points, third place gets six points and so on.

Those who listed their top eight players include Brandon George, Kate Hairopoulos, David Moore, Jon Machota, Tim Cowlishaw, Rick Gosselin and Kevin Sherrington.

1. Larry Allen (7 first-place votes), 56 points
2. Rayfield Wright, 49 points
3. Ralph Neely, 37 points
4. Erik Williams, 35 points
5. Nate Newton, 27 points

Others receiving votes
John Niland (23 points), Mark Stepnoski (12 points), Flozell Adams (8 points), Tyron Smith (3 points) and Pat Donovan (2 points).

The rundown

George: Neely was ahead of his time as one of the premier offensive linemen in the 1960s.

Hairopoulos: The Cowboys' current offensive line, producing three Pro Bowlers the last two seasons, could soon impact this list.

Moore: Tyron Smith is poised to crack this list by the end of this season.

Machota: As good as this current offensive line is, the 1990s group is a gold standard that'll be tough to ever reach.

Cowlishaw: Ten Pro Bowl selections make Larry Allen a big man in a very small class.

Gosselin: Had Erik Williams not crashed his car in 1994, he might already be in the Hall of Fame and considered the best of all these linemen.

Sherrington: Ranking offensive linemen is the toughest of all positions, but there's no doubting Allen. Man bench pressed 700 pounds.

data

Forbes #1
[MENTION=43]Plan9Misfit[/MENTION]

Anything you'd like to interject?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't believe Newton was top 5 all time among our linemen. Niland, Donovan, and Stepnoski were all better imo. I'd probably even throw in Tuinei, Fitzgerald and Herbert Scott ahead of him. Maybe even Tom Rafferty.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Two of our current OL will be top 5 by the end of their careers. Smith could potentially be number 1 honestly but Allen is obviously a huge hurdle to get over, he'll be top 3 at worst.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't believe Newton was top 5 all time among our linemen. Niland, Donovan, and Stepnoski were all better imo. I'd probably even throw in Tuinei, Fitzgerald and Herbert Scott ahead of him. Maybe even Tom Rafferty.
I agree some of those 80's o-lineman are really underrated.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
[MENTION=43]Plan9Misfit[/MENTION]

Anything you'd like to interject?
That "list" is bullshit. If Pat McQuistan isn't on it, then it's obviously wrong.

In light of that slander, I hope that the Jones family has more births in the near future so McQuistan may eat the babies as penance.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Newton was very overrated and Mark Tuinei seriously underrated.
Yeah, Newton was more of a novelty and as such got a lot of exposure. He was a decent overweight media favorite but not an exceptional player. Madden probably did more to make him a semi celebrity than anything.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am not saying that Newton was the 5th best Cowboys OL ever, but he also gets underrated around here. He was pretty damn good for a stretch in the 90s.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I am not saying that Newton was the 5th best Cowboys OL ever, but he also gets underrated around here. He was pretty damn good for a stretch in the 90s.
He had become an out of shape liability after 1996. His selection to the pro bowl in 1998 was laughable. Still he gave Dallas 5-6 solid years after maturing in mid-1991.

Tuinei quietly played outstanding football at the toughest position on the OL. Big E dominated. Outside of Big E and of course later Larry Allen, it was more their chemistry than talent that made them great.

I suspect Gesek somehow had a lot to do with that.

But without Big E, that group never gets going.

data

Forbes #1
Let's just come out and say it...

Gosh dagnabbit I really f'n miss that early 90s team.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Let's just come out and say it...

Gosh dagnabbit I really f'n miss that early 90s team.
We'll never have real success again without Pat McQuistan.

Top Bottom