The Books Thread

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
When I saw that someone had posted in this thread I assumed that one of you were coming in here to brag about picking up the new Harry Potter book.

junk

Not So New Member
Been reading a lot lately.

I have finally clicked with Stephen King. Maybe I've dropped some pretensions. I really enjoyed The Dark Half. I also found a used copy of The Bachman Books with Rage in it. It is hard to find because he let it fall out of print, but it is worth reading if you find it. Kind of Lord of the Flies meets The Breakfast Club.

Right now I'm reading Joe Hill's latest, The Fireman. So far it doesn't have the teeth of NOS4A2 or Heart-Shaped Box, but I like it.
King is hit or miss sometimes, but his overall body of work is excellent. 11/22/63 was one of my all time favorites. His short story collections are usually pretty good (All Dark, No Stars was a great title for a dark collection of short stories). Don't waste your time with the Finders Keepers trilogy though.

Horns was probably my favorite Joe Hill book. I didn't really like NOS4A2 all that much compared to some of his others. The Fireman was good.

Another thing I'd recommend that is kind of in this vein is George R.R. Martin's collections of short stories called "Dreamsongs". I think there is a volume I and II

junk

Not So New Member
When I saw that someone had posted in this thread I assumed that one of you were coming in here to brag about picking up the new Harry Potter book.
I read that series years and years after the hype when I could get them for free through Amazon. I'll begrudgingly admit that they were a pretty good series of books. :unsure

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I didn't read Harry Potter, despite being about the right age when they came out. I consider picking them up from the library sometimes, but I'm worried that memories of damn ex-wife's "fandom" has made me prejudiced, and that I'll spend seven novels reminded of that. :lol

Today I finally found a cheap hardback copy of It. That will be my next read after The Fireman and the Hap and Leonard novel I'm reading.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
King is hit or miss sometimes, but his overall body of work is excellent. 11/22/63 was one of my all time favorites. His short story collections are usually pretty good (All Dark, No Stars was a great title for a dark collection of short stories). Don't waste your time with the Finders Keepers trilogy though.

Horns was probably my favorite Joe Hill book. I didn't really like NOS4A2 all that much compared to some of his others. The Fireman was good.

Another thing I'd recommend that is kind of in this vein is George R.R. Martin's collections of short stories called "Dreamsongs". I think there is a volume I and II
I got Bazaar of Bad Dreams through the library on Kindle. I started on the story "Obits" before I got distracted by other books and never finished that story.

The premise was good, and his prose is excellent, but there were times when I could hear an older guy's voice creeping into his twenty-something narrator. "I was a Dangerous Dude!"

If you feel like good short horror check out Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt. He has a Cormac McCarthy edge. I have read the story "The Inconsolable" twice now.

junk

Not So New Member
I got Bazaar of Bad Dreams through the library on Kindle. I started on the story "Obits" before I got distracted by other books and never finished that story.

The premise was good, and his prose is excellent, but there were times when I could hear an older guy's voice creeping into his twenty-something narrator. "I was a Dangerous Dude!"

If you feel like good short horror check out Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt. He has a Cormac McCarthy edge. I have read the story "The Inconsolable" twice now.
Bazaar of Bad Dreams was a disappointment. I think I'd already read a couple of the stories and the rest just weren't that good. I'll check out your recommendation.

D

Deuce

I actually picked this up today. I have about 150 pages left on Game of Thrones and then I'll knock it out before I move on to A Clash of Kings.

junk

Not So New Member

I read Greener Pastures. Pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation.

If anyone is into sci fi, Fallen Dragon by Peter Hamilton is just a great book. I just read it again and it was just as good as the first time. It'd make a great movie.

Top Bottom