Archive - Random NFL Stuff Thread...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
fully guaranteed contracts are not good for any sport. It's a disaster in baseball and basketball, where if you were stuck with a guy who is not producing up to his contract, and he has years left on his deal, it is nearly impossible to get better. And then you have a fan base that has to deal with years of malaise and barely caring because a player or multiple players have bad contracts that the team can't get out of and which hinder the team's ability to bring in fresh better and more exciting players. It's a huge problem in the other sports. It would suck big fat hairy donkey balls if the NFL adopted that.
It's not the guaranteed part that's bad about those contracts. It's the number of years the idiot GMs/owners sign these players to.

IMO, 5 years should be the absolute max that you pay someone guaranteed money. And I'd only reserve that for the players who are still in their prime years and have shown that they're not one-hit/contract year wonders.

Teams like the Yankees and Angels are idiots for signing guys on the backside of their career, e.g. Pujols & A-Rod, to 7-10 year deals. Signing 34 year old players to 10 year deals. :lol That's just dumb management.

In the NFL I don't see anything wrong with having 3-5 year guaranteed contracts. You just have to tier it like they're already doing. For example, positions that experience a lot of wear and tear will usually get 2 or 3 yr deals unless they're a freak of nature like Adrian Peterson. Positions of longevity (OL, QB, CB) should see the longer term deals.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not the guaranteed part that's bad about those contracts. It's the number of years the idiot GMs/owners sign these players to.

IMO, 5 years should be the absolute max that you pay someone guaranteed money. And I'd only reserve that for the players who are still in their prime years and have shown that they're not one-hit/contract year wonders.

Teams like the Yankees and Angels are idiots for signing guys on the backside of their career, e.g. Pujols & A-Rod, to 7-10 year deals. Signing 34 year old players to 10 year deals. :lol That's just dumb management.

In the NFL I don't see anything wrong with having 3-5 year guaranteed contracts. You just have to tier it like they're already doing. For example, positions that experience a lot of wear and tear will usually get 2 or 3 yr deals unless they're a freak of nature like Adrian Peterson. Positions of longevity (OL, QB, CB) should see the longer term deals.
Tyron Smith is a perfect exception to your 5 year rule.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Tyron Smith is a perfect exception to your 5 year rule.
I think he was referring to fully guaranteed money, which Smith didn't get.

Which is my point.

Even a guy like Smith shouldn't get a fully guaranteed contract. What if he blows his achilles game 1 of the contract, or even year 2 or 3 and he comes back but is nowhere near the same player? But if he's fully guaranteed for 10 years or even 5 years it can really hamper your cap. Now imagine that happens to 2 or 3 top players. You're effed. For years.

D

Deuce

I think he was referring to fully guaranteed money, which Smith didn't get.

Which is my point.

Even a guy like Smith shouldn't get a fully guaranteed contract. What if he blows his achilles game 1 of the contract, or even year 2 or 3 and he comes back but is nowhere near the same player? But if he's fully guaranteed for 10 years or even 5 years it can really hamper your cap. Now imagine that happens to 2 or 3 top players. You're effed. For years.
Football is too tough on the body so teams won't be handing out deals like that anymore. If the league were smart, they'd max out potential deals in years and money like the nba does. That way a blown guaranteed deal only hurts 4 years or so.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Football is too tough on the body so teams won't be handing out deals like that anymore. If the league were smart, they'd max out potential deals in years and money like the nba does. That way a blown guaranteed deal only hurts 4 years or so.
4 years is still a very long time. More than 1 or two bad guaranteed contracts even for only 3 or 4 years and your franchise is basically destroyed for a good while unless there is a mechanism to get out from under those bad contracts.

It's in every sports best interest to give bad teams the ability to turn things around quickly. Guaranteed contracts are anathema to that.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Patriots have released Brandon Spikes based on the possible hit & run.

They wasted no time with that one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Texans name George Godsey offensive coordinator

Posted by Josh Alper on June 8, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT

The Texans went without an offensive coordinator last season with head coach Bill O’Brien overseeing the team’s offense, but they’ll take a different approach in 2015.

O’Brien announced Monday that George Godsey will make the move from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator. Godsey first worked with O’Brien when O’Brien was an assistant at Georgia Tech and Godsey was one of the team’s quarterbacks. They worked together again in New England in 2011 and Godsey remained with the Patriots through the 2013 season.

“I think the players respect the type of teacher that he is,” O’Brien said of Godsey, via Tania Ganguli of ESPN.com.

There won’t be a replacement at quarterbacks coach on this year’s staff as the Texans feel that Godsey, O’Brien and the rest of the team’s offensive coaching staff can take care of any responsibilities that might normally fall to that position. This year, that will include making the call about whether Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett is the starter.

Cotton

Staff member

And, so it begins.

Cotton

Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

And, so it begins.
PHILADELPHIA — It was a momentary scare caused by some brief, but likely very intense, pain.

At the end of a run during 11-on-11 drills on Tuesday, Eagles running back DeMarco Murray went right to the ground, and was quickly surrounded by trainers.

At the time, it looked to be a hamstring pull, or something that might have the team's new $40 million running back missing some time.

After practice, Murray revealed what kept him on the ground.

"I got hit in the balls," Murray said as he walked into the locker room.

Cotton

Staff member
PHILADELPHIA — It was a momentary scare caused by some brief, but likely very intense, pain.

At the end of a run during 11-on-11 drills on Tuesday, Eagles running back DeMarco Murray went right to the ground, and was quickly surrounded by trainers.

At the time, it looked to be a hamstring pull, or something that might have the team's new $40 million running back missing some time.

:lol

dallen

Senior Tech

Good

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh those tricky Eagles at it again with a new stud starter.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Falcons release Sam Baker

Posted by Josh Alper on June 15, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT

Sam Baker didn’t play any games for the Falcons in 2014 because of a torn patellar tendon in his knee and he’s not going to be playing for the Falcons in 2015 either.

The Falcons announced on Monday that they have released Baker, who has been a member of the team since they drafted him in the first round of the 2008 draft. Baker signed a six-year deal with the team in 2013 and was set to make $4.5 million in base salary this year.

Baker started 61 games for the Falcons over that time and was expected to be in the mix for a starting job again this season on a Falcons line that has added guard Chris Chester this offseason as they try to find a group that works better than the one they had in 2014. Baker’s experience would seem to help him in that regard, but he hasn’t been practicing this spring as a result of the knee injury and the Falcons decided they would move on with other options.

If Baker can get healthy, he could land with someone else for a look during camp while the Falcons are working out whether Tyler Polumbus, Lamar Holmes or Ryan Schraeder is their right tackle.

Top Bottom