Archer: Cowboys postpone QB decision for another year -- at least

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys postpone QB decision for another year -- at least

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- Remember all that talk about the Dallas Cowboys looking in the draft for Tony Romo's possible successor or maybe even a future No. 2 quarterback?

It didn't happen.

The Cowboys had private workouts with Bryce Petty, Brett Hundley, Garrett Grayson and Sean Mannion but did not pull the trigger on any of them. They will add UTEP quarterback Jameill Showers as an undrafted free agent and will have South Alabama's Brandon Bridge in for a tryout at this weekend's rookie minicamp.

Grayson went the earliest, to the New Orleans Saints in the third round (No. 75 overall). Mannion, whose offensive coordinator last year at Oregon State was former Cowboys assistant John Garrett, went No. 89 overall to the St. Louis Rams.

Petty went No. 103 overall to the New York Jets, and Hundley went No. 147 overall to the Green Bay Packers.

Of the four quarterbacks they worked out, Petty drew the most interest from the Cowboys.

"All positions are always in the mix," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said after the draft. "We evaluate guys, we put them up on the board and if it made sense for us at a particular time to take one of these quarterbacks who we liked, we'd be all in to take one. Same thing with the running back position. Same thing with the receiver position. For whatever reason, we liked guys on the board better and went ahead and pulled the trigger on them."

The Cowboys last used a draft pick on a quarterback in 2009 when they took Stephen McGee in the fourth round. The Cowboys have drafted only three quarterbacks since taking Troy Aikman No. 1 overall in the 1989 draft: Billy Musgrave (fourth round, 1991) and Quincy Carter (second round, 2001). They took Steve Walsh with the first pick of the 1989 supplemental draft.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones said before the draft the Cowboys have to start the process on finding Romo's successor soon.

It won't be until 2016 at the earliest.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Let's not act as if this year's QB class was that good to begin with. Realistically, it was terrible. Very few, if any, of the QBs after Winston even have a remote chance of becoming viable starters.

Let's not act as if this year's QB class was that good to begin with. Realistically, it was terrible. Very few, if any, of the QBs after Winston even have a remote chance of becoming viable starters.
I'm also not too impressed with Winston, I think he is gonna be a Jamarcus Russell.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm also not too impressed with Winston, I think he is gonna be a Jamarcus Russell.
Winston has the mental midget complex like Russell, that's for sure. The guy could be a potential prison sentence as much as a franchise QB.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
At least it doesn't cripple your cap these days if your high first round pick busts.

townsend

Banned
Vaughan is the future of the Cowboys obviously. Weeden's our Drew Henson style red herring.

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
we will have to go through a couple bad years and get a top 2 pick for us to think about drafting a qb

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
we will have to go through a couple bad years and get a top 2 pick for us to think about drafting a qb
We won't think about a QB until Romo announces his retirement.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It looked more promising a year ago. Goes to show how fast things can change.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Kind of silly timing for this article. Like Plan9 said, this was a shitty QB class. As much as I would love to see a replacement for Romo on the roster, this was not the draft to do it.

Cotton

Staff member
I know and what about them is remotely alike?
Russell:

Positives: Has a well-built, strong and athletic frame with good overall muscle definition, long arms, large hands, high-cut with wide shoulders and thick thighs … Has outstanding arm strength and size for his position … Shows good overall foot quickness and agility to step out of the pocket and buy time for his receiversHas the lower body power to break tackles … Demonstrates above average body control and balance driving back from center and shows good accuracy firing the ball up the seams … Has a fluid throwing motion, much like the Colts' Peyton Manning … Made good strides in recognizing protections and is capable of calling audibles … Not the type who needs the glory and attention most quarterbacks relish … Determined field leader with ice water running through his veins … Will play through pain and does a great job of standing tall in the pocket … Has good balance in his drop-back and generally moves in control, showing a nice rhythm while planting his feet through his delivery … When he sits back and scans the field, he can pick apart the zones … Makes right decisions on long throws, thanks to his raw power, but needs to vary the speed on his short throws, as his targets sometimes have a hard time fielding the ball cleanly (puts too much zip on the throws) … His arm strength and fluid mechanics let him get the ball out quickly, once he sets his feet … Shows no wasted motion and is consistently in good position to deliver the ball on time … Has the strongest arm in football, at any level … Can throw the ball the length of the field and put on an impressive show during Sugar Bowl practices, when he sat down on the ground and effortlessly flicked the ball out more than 40 yards … Generates great velocity and ball speed firing up the seams and is an excellent prospect for a vertical passing game.

makes it easy for receivers to stay in stride when firing up the seam … Effective throwing on the move and has the ability to consistently place the ball on the receiver's outside shoulder … When working from a three-step technique, Russell shows very good timing and placement attacking the deep secondary, but must take some heat off his short throws … Steps into his throws well, but also has more than enough arm strength to throw off the wrong foot … Stands tall in the pocket and there is no panic in his gameWill take shots and throw under duress, but just needs to check off his primary target quicker rather than try to buy time with his feet moving around the pocket … Made great strides in maintaining his focus down field, even under heavy pressure … Has enough movement skills to buy time in the backfield … Earlier in his career, he would step back and fall away from his throws, but now is much more confident in his arm and ability to step up and find the throwing lanes … You don't see Russell scramble much, but when he tucks the ball and runs with it, he has the size, strength and bulk to consistently break tackles Puts good velocity on his throws firing from the outside hashes and has a fluid release, whether throwing from the left or right side.

Winston:

STRENGTHS Considered by scouting community to be advanced in ability to scan field and get through progressions. Has natural feel for throwing windows and anticipates openings that other college quarterbacks don't see. Has height to see over offensive line and thickness of build to withstand NFL hits. Big arm by NFL standards. Gets full extension and follow through into throws with ability to drive ball into the seam in front of safeties. Can make all of the field-side throws teams need. Most teammates very trusting and protective of him, according to regional scouts. Aware in pocket, but not overly jittery. Good feel for edge pressure and steps up into pocket while continuing his scan. When pressure mounts, so does his focus. Shows faith in his wide receivers and willing to go right back to them after a drop. Strong lower body and able to shake free of some would-be sacks and get rid of the ball. Fierce competitor and unafraid of mistakes. Shows above-average football character. Will make throws and take chances others won't, which can be a special trait if properly harnessed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:doh

Indulging a Jiggy bait post.

That is about like inviting Schmitty to discuss CBs and Bill Parcells' genius in the same breath.

Cotton

Staff member

That is about like inviting Schmitty to discuss CBs and Bill Parcells' genius in the same breath.
I was bored.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

LOL. I saw that post early and wondered how long it would take for Jiggy to show up.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I know and what about them is remotely alike?
The fact that they are both QBs that were the first overall pick. One busted hard, and he's saying the other just might as well. Which is why he said "A" Jamarcus Russell, instead of actually saying he's like Russell himself.

Is it that hard to figure out, Al? Or are you just hoping like hell that the guy with the Confederate flags in his avatar will say that they both are...

:unsure

~whispering~ That they both are black...

The fact that they are both QBs that were the first overall pick. One busted hard, and he's saying the other just might as well. Which is why he said "A" Jamarcus Russell, instead of actually saying he's like Russell himself.

Is it that hard to figure out, Al? Or are you just hoping like hell that the guy with the Confederate flags in his avatar will say that they both are...

:unsure

~whispering~ That they both are black...
Well NoDak, I can see what he is insinuating and no that wasn't what I was talking about. But hell, since we're already on this subject, yeah they look alike.... Anyway what I was referring too is that the handful of games I watched Jamar...I mean Jamis Winston play I wasn't overly impressed. It was average quarterbacking at best. Now I didn't watch last year so he could have been better then. As of right now I don't see it, I think him being a first pick in this draft is telling about how horrible the quarterback class is in general. I think there will be too much pressure on him and he won't be able to handle it well, much like Russell. I have that feeling...

Last edited:
Top Bottom