Sabin: Why Cowboys, other NFL teams are eyeing North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Browns take Goff. The Cowboys trade down to 15 with the Rams, who then take Lynch. Jerry gets raped in the trade, but smiles anyway, thinking he's just pulled a fast one on the rest of the NFL... Then watches as the Eagles take Wentz at 13.

Cowboy nation weeps.
It will happen. We will think we have it all figured out, get cute because we are afraid to pull the trigger since Romo will play five more years and that's it.

Just like RB last year. Well, hey, we just kept. Getting. Headed off. At the pass.

Seen it before when we really wanted to draft Unger.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Browns take Goff. The Cowboys trade down to 15 with the Rams, who then take Lynch. Jerry gets raped in the trade, but smiles anyway, thinking he's just pulled a fast one on the rest of the NFL... Then watches as the Eagles take Wentz at 13.

Cowboy nation weeps.
Or we trade with the Saints and move to 12 only to see the Eagles or Rams trade up to 10 or 11th and take Wentz ahead of us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
How Wentz played today reminded me alot of what Aikman used to do back in the day when we were winning big in terms of making plays early to build a lead, then scaling the offense back and letting the run game just salt the game away.

Wentz made play after play in the 1st half as they were building their lead. Several 3rd downs converted with his arm (and a 4th when it was still just 3-0), the passing TD to make it 10-0, the rushing TD to make it 17-0, and the 30 or so yard pass to set up the TD that made it 24-0.

The first INT was not a concern to me, 40 seconds left in the half, up 24-0, other team has no timeouts, 1 on 1 on the outside and he goes for a kill shot heading into the half. The DB made a great play on a 50/50 ball but they were still pinned inside their own 10 with no chance of scoring. If it was a closer game where getting a FG would've been more critical I'd say it was a bad mistake, up 24-0 with such little time left there and it's a good decision I think.

The 2nd INT was definitely a bad decision and in my opinion it's because he has a tendency to lock onto WR's, the DB read it and jumped the route, and it was a horrible play considering the score was 24-7 and it set them up to potentially cut it to 24-14. I've said before though that my main concerns with him are his tendency to stare down WR's and that his feet sometimes get stagnant in the pocket, these are correctable things though, especially with a guy like Romo mentoring.

Other than that he looked great considering he hadn't played in 3 months. You could see the arm strength, the athleticism, the ability to throw on the run and you could see a few times where he adjusted plays/routes at the LOS which is impressive.

Honestly, if the guy performs well during the Senior Bowl and impresses the coaching staff I'd just say fuck it and take him at 4. He will not be there for us in the 2nd and at this point I doubt he even makes it much further than the early 20's, if he has an impressive Senior Bowl he probably goes no lower than somewhere between 10-19.

He has the physical traits and he checks off all of the boxes in terms of intangibles. He's raw but so is Lynch and Goff to a lesser extent, we already know going into it that whoever we take will ideally sit for the vast majority of their first 2-3 years, only coming in for spot duty if something happens to Romo, so to me that isn't even much of a consideration. For a team like the Browns who need a guy to start yesterday, yea, it's a concern, for a team that is able to sit him behind a guy like Romo for 2 years?

Who cares?

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hey, we just won four games. But we are just a DB away from returning to 2014 form.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
How Wentz played today reminded me alot of what Aikman used to do back in the day when we were winning big in terms of making plays early to build a lead, then scaling the offense back and letting the run game just salt the game away.

Wentz made play after play in the 1st half as they were building their lead. Several 3rd downs converted with his arm (and a 4th when it was still just 3-0), the passing TD to make it 10-0, the rushing TD to make it 17-0, and the 30 or so yard pass to set up the TD that made it 24-0.

The first INT was not a concern to me, 40 seconds left in the half, up 24-0, other team has no timeouts, 1 on 1 on the outside and he goes for a kill shot heading into the half. The DB made a great play on a 50/50 ball but they were still pinned inside their own 10 with no chance of scoring. If it was a closer game where getting a FG would've been more critical I'd say it was a bad mistake, up 24-0 with such little time left there and it's a good decision I think.

The 2nd INT was definitely a bad decision and in my opinion it's because he has a tendency to lock onto WR's, the DB read it and jumped the route, and it was a horrible play considering the score was 24-7 and it set them up to potentially cut it to 24-14. I've said before though that my main concerns with him are his tendency to stare down WR's and that his feet sometimes get stagnant in the pocket, these are correctable things though, especially with a guy like Romo mentoring.

Other than that he looked great considering he hadn't played in 3 months. You could see the arm strength, the athleticism, the ability to throw on the run and you could see a few times where he adjusted plays/routes at the LOS which is impressive.

Honestly, if the guy performs well during the Senior Bowl and impresses the coaching staff I'd just say fuck it and take him at 4. He will not be there for us in the 2nd and at this point I doubt he even makes it much further than the early 20's, if he has an impressive Senior Bowl he probably goes no lower than somewhere between 10-19.

He has the physical traits and he checks off all of the boxes in terms of intangibles. He's raw but so is Lynch and Goff to a lesser extent, we already know going into it that whoever we take will ideally sit for the vast majority of their first 2-3 years, only coming in for spot duty if something happens to Romo, so to me that isn't even much of a consideration. For a team like the Browns who need a guy to start yesterday, yea, it's a concern, for a team that is able to sit him behind a guy like Romo for 2 years?

Who cares?
I endorse this post. Two thumbs up. A+++ Would read again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, it is easy for us to say "fuck it" and just draft the QB.

You know damn good and well this organization is not even close to that level of thinking.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

You know damn good and well this organization is not even close to that level of thinking.
Perhaps you're right, but Jerry has been blabbing for about a month now about the possibility of taking a QB at 4. if he really impresses the coaches at the Senior Bowl, which I'm sure he will considering how Garrett is, then it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever.

The only thing that gives me pause is Garrett likely knows he's done if we tank again next year and he may work real hard to keep Jerry from spending a top 5 pick on a guy who may not have any direct impact on next season's performance. Hopefully that's where McClay and Stephen can step in.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Sad but true. Jerry still thinks Romo is our best chance to win now. So he'll be zeroed in on signing Manziel or RGIII to fill in if Tony goes down again while also wanting to use our high first rounder and a CB or LB who can play immediately to take advantage of this 'window of opportunity'.

Highly doubt Jerry signs a veteran backup AND uses a high first rounder on a QB with the plan being to have the first round QB sit for a year. Jerry will want an immediate starter which will mean a DB or LB. But that starter isn't going to be the difference between us going to the SB or not. And neither is Manziel or RGIII.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Perhaps you're right, but Jerry has been blabbing for about a month now about the possibility of taking a QB at 4. if he really impresses the coaches at the Senior Bowl, which I'm sure he will considering how Garrett is, then it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever.

The only thing that gives me pause is Garrett likely knows he's done if we tank again next year and he may work real hard to keep Jerry from spending a top 5 pick on a guy who may not have any direct impact on next season's performance. Hopefully that's where McClay and Stephen can step in.
Yeah, you know Jason isn't going to want a player who will be expected to sit next year and may not start until Garrett is gone. JG is going to be interested in saving his job and in the first round that will involve drafting an immediate starter.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
I just want us to target our guy and pick him at 4. If Wentz is your guy take him and dont get cute. If we end up with Cook I'm going to be pissed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

He has also been babbling about a veteran backup.

It all depends on what Cleveland does. They might dangle Manziel for a low rounder, Jones will take it. Washington has no choice, they will release Griffin before the league year begins.

That will change the landscape. If either are available, we are probably way out of the QB business in the first round, you can bank on that.

If not, then we get the cute scenario. Trade down. Trade up when panicked.

Just like we did with Quincy Carter. We didn't just draft him, we traded premium choices trading up and down like a fucking moron.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think we do draft a QB at 4, unless Goff and Lynch are both gone. I think that's why Jerry wanted to tank so badly.

As dumb as Jerry can be, I think he remembers the post-Aikman era all too well and doesn't want to repeat it. I also think he views this as a very talented team that won't be picking this high again, so this is his chance to get a QB he couldn't normally get.

(Oh and nodak... I was just kidding on the punt thing.)

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sad but true. Jerry still thinks Romo is our best chance to win now. So he'll be zeroed in on signing Manziel or RGIII to fill in if Tony goes down again while also wanting to use our high first rounder and a CB or LB who can play immediately to take advantage of this 'window of opportunity'.

Highly doubt Jerry signs a veteran backup AND uses a high first rounder on a QB with the plan being to have the first round QB sit for a year. Jerry will want an immediate starter which will mean a DB or LB. But that starter isn't going to be the difference between us going to the SB or not. And neither is Manziel or RGIII.
Jerry was the one who wanted a QB just two drafts ago. You can say plenty of bad things about Jerry but you can't say he'll shy away from a QB in the first because he wants an immediate starter. We know that wasn't true 2 years ago, why would it be now that we are even closer to the end for Romo?

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I think it has been mentioned several times over the last few months...he shows out at the Senior Bowl like Rivers did, he's probably at the top half of the first round.

You don't get all cute. If he's your guy, get him.
That's my point... I don't get all the crazy up, down, if, then scenarios that get thrown around, if that's your guy, just take him. Who gives a damn what the talking heads will say in the immediate aftermath. If he is our starter for 10 - 15 years... none of the noise will have mattered.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry was the one who wanted a QB just two drafts ago. You can say plenty of bad things about Jerry but you can't say he'll shy away from a QB in the first because he wants an immediate starter. We know that wasn't true 2 years ago, why would it be now that we are even closer to the end for Romo?
Because he can now get Manziel that he wanted two years ago or RGIII and think they could take over when Romo is done.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Wow this kid has a lightning release and is really athletic for such a tall player. Can really run. Not sure how he is at accuracy, reading the defense, those kind of things. Seems like he'll thread the needle one play and chuck one into the stands the next.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not a quarterback. He wanted that quarterback.

Some red headed kid from North Dakota? Not quite the same pizzazz.
But he's a ginger, so that seals it from Garrett's point of view.

It's a lock.

Top Bottom