Do you bring Hardy back?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't think he will have much of a choice honestly. The guy has already come out and thrown his cards on the table that he wants to stay. That is not common with players that know they are marketable. So yeah, I offer that kind of deal. If he turns up his nose, fine.
Yeah I think his market ask is down but I think he wants to get much more guaranteed money.

But he is relatively young so another incentive type 1 year deal is plausible.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If you are Hardy do you take that?

I would love to have him at that but I don't think that gets him on board.

I will admit that the market might not be more in line with him getting around 9 mill per with incentives.

l
Of course I have no way of knowing what I'd do if I were him because I don't know what he will be offered. But I do think it is a fair deal for him considering all of the negative publicity and question marks surrounding him, as well as the fact that he had a solid season with 6.5 sacks but not a monstrous one. I don't think he will get much more than about 10 a year from anybody, and I'd be truly shocked if someone gave him a deal longer than 4 years.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Fuck Garrett and who he likes and doesn't like. He is running around screaming the virtues of Terrence Williams and that guy came up small when we needed him.
Yep. It's amazing how he turned it on after it didn't matter.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He had a full offseason last year, I don't understand why you would expect much difference.

How are you willing to guarantee at this chance he is much better?
Who said anything about a guarantee? Nothing is ever guaranteed in any sport from year to year. But I do think with a full year of playing and another full offseason that he could be better than this year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You can't really take advantage of a Greg Hardy without some stoutness in the middle of the defense. Nick Hayden playing on roller-skates is a major problem.

So bring him back, don't break the bank, and find a better NT.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think hardy had a break the bank kind of year. Together with his baggage should keep him relatively cheap.

Although with his agent who knows.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think hardy had a break the bank kind of year. Together with his baggage should keep him relatively cheap.

Yea I just don't see how any team gives him 5+ years and 11+ million a year. He is either going to have to take a 1 year deal if he wants 10+ a year or be willing to give up some on the yearly salary in turn for more years, more guaranteed money and more total dollars.

I just can't see how any team can be willing to give this guy 5 years, 60 million or so coming off a 6.5 (8.5ish over 16 games?) sack season with all of the negative attention he brings.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I agree. I think we can get him back on a pretty reasonable contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I absolutely would bring him back and on a contract that lasts more then just a year.

With that being said, you can't overspend on any player. The good news is his antics have probably driven his market value down and I could honestly give two shits about them. Tweets about Tom Brady's wife don't make a bit of difference to me but they may have annoyed other teams enough to knock the market down for the guy. So I really see no reason why we shouldn't be able to get Hardy back on a reasonable deal.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I would offer Hardy a 5-year deal at 40 with 25 million guaranteed over the 1st 3 years and incentives of 500'000 on any sacks over 8.

5th-year player option.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys needed extra security for Greg Hardy; some teammates soured on him

By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon George on Twitter: @DMN_George

Greg Hardy cleaned out his locker Monday at Valley Ranch like he wouldn't be back. The Cowboys defensive end made sure not to leave anything behind.

Wearing a Superman shirt and matching leggings, Hardy eventually had a knee-high pile of colorful cleats on the floor that he tossed into a white trash bag.

Unlike the way he arrived, Hardy left Cowboys team headquarters with little fanfare.

Hardy will be free to sign with any team March 9, when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Whether he returns to the Cowboys is a complicated discussion.

Hardy's 2014 domestic violence arrest while with Carolina kept teams from pursuing him despite a 2013 Pro Bowl season in which he had a career-high 15 sacks. But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took a chance, signing Hardy to a one-year deal worth up to $13.1 million.

Hardy will end up making a little more than $8.8 million from the Cowboys. He didn't maximize his contract because of a four-game suspension to start the year, and he failed to reach his first incentive of eight sacks.

Hardy finished with six sacks in 12 games. From Thanksgiving on, Hardy had only 1 1/2 sacks over the final six games. And it would be a reach to argue his presence helped others excel along the defensive line, considering the Cowboys finished with only three more sacks than they had in 2014.

Along the way, Hardy became a constant headache for Jason Garrett. The Cowboys coach met with him at least four times to address his conduct.

Hardy became such a worry for the Cowboys that over the last month of the season they had an extra security presence around him at times to check up on him.

A few teammates who had supported Hardy early began to sour on him late in the season, in part because his perpetual tardiness for team meetings never resulted in a reduction of playing time. Tardiness was also an issue for Hardy with his previous teams.

Hardy was in for more plays than any other Cowboys defensive end in 11 of his 12 games. On Thanksgiving, DeMarcus Lawrence played one more snap than Hardy against Carolina. Even after the Cowboys had been eliminated from playoff contention, Hardy played more than any other defensive end in the final two games against Buffalo and Washington.

Allowing a player who doesn't adhere to the Cowboys' standard to get his way is not a great way to build team chemistry.

Hardy was always respectful when Cowboys officials addressed him about his conduct, but he didn't alter his behavior for the most part.

Hardy's market value this offseason isn't expected to be strong considering most teams shied away after his domestic violence arrest. Hardy didn't help himself by never showing remorse and continuing to be a distraction off the field. That leaves the door cracked for the Cowboys to re-sign him to a low-risk deal.

Jones said after the season finale Sunday that "as it turns out, [Hardy] is the football player we thought he was. He was a very positive player on the field for us."

Garrett wouldn't say Monday if he wanted Hardy back, but he said little in support of the defensive end. The underlying tone of his words made it seem as if Mr. Process had even run out of patience.

In back-to-back questions about 2015 free agent additions running back Darren McFadden and Hardy, Garrett couldn't stop talking about one. He used 267 words to laud McFadden, saying he did an "outstanding job" and was a "mentally tough, physically tough guy." Garrett said McFadden "responded well," is a "man's man" and "plays the game the right way" and "prepares the right way."

What about Hardy?

"Greg did some good things for us on the field," Garrett said. "Defended the run well at times. Impacted the quarterback at different times during the game."

The common theme in responses about Hardy from Jones and Garrett was how the defensive end performed "on the field" or "during the game."

And even that wasn't what the Cowboys had hoped for when they opened themselves up to national criticism for signing a player who was accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.

In the end: Too much drama. Not enough impact.

Hardy said Sunday he'd like to return to the Cowboys, adding, "I look good in blue and white, let's be honest." He was asked if he took full advantage of his opportunity in Dallas.

"I believe so," Hardy said. "I believe it's the perfect timing for me just coming to a place that was accepting and coming to a place that let me play and do my thing and be personable and be reasonable for me and with me and help me change my life and change the world."

Hardy contract breakdown

The Cowboys signed defensive end Greg Hardy to a one-year, $13.1 million contract last March. But he didn't maximize his deal (Hardy's four-game suspension to start the season cost him $2,488,970 with the chance to earn more with sack incentives). Here's a breakdown of what the Cowboys owe Hardy for his 12 games in 2015:

Workout bonus: $1,311,600

Base salary: $573,530 (for 13 weeks and 12 games)

53-man roster bonus: $6,937,500 (for 12 games)

Total: $8,822,630

Incentives not reached: $1,804,000 ($500,000 for eight sacks; $1 million for 10 sacks; $1.4 million for 12 sacks and $1.804 million for 14 or more sacks)

Note: As part of Hardy's deal, the Cowboys cannot use their franchise tag on him in 2016. He will become an unrestricted free agent March 9.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well, that doesnt sound good for a return.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like I said before.

Fuck what Jason Garrett thinks.

He can't relate to these players. He can relate to some tickets to a Duke game with the two highest paid players on the team.

He can't be bothered to try to forge any relationships.

He is such a detriment, mainly because I don't think he connects across lines, in other words, to all types of people.

The best head coaches by and large are master psychologists, not chess masters.

Learn about the best of the best. The majority were not X and O teachers that stuck rigidly to personality profiles.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Like I said before.

He can't relate to these players. He can relate to some tickets to a Duke game with the two highest paid players on the team.

He is such a detriment, mainly because I don't think he connects across lines, in other words, to all types of people.

Learn about the best of the best. The majority were not X and O teachers that stuck rigidly to personality profiles.
Totally agree. Jimmy was a prime example. I believe he had a psychology degree. He was outstanding at dealing with different personalities. He had an overarching defensive philosophy but I don't think he was too worried about micromanaging either side of the ball.

Parcells of course too.

Best example today I think is Bruce Arians.

It's funny that when people talk about the best coaching candidate they focus on the coach's system and X and O prowess.But that often doesn't translate to success as a HC .

data

Forbes #1
Like I said before.

sounds like Tom Landry. Tom. OMG we are going to win Super Bowls. Plural.

townsend

Banned
Like I said before.

He's also bad at Xs and Os. Really the last job that he's done well at was backup QB.

Top Bottom