Cowboys sign OT La'el Collins

La'el Collins meeting with Bills coach Rex Ryan

By Around The NFL staff
Published: May 4, 2015 at 10:15 p.m.

After going undrafted this past weekend, LSU offensive tackle La'el Collins had an impromptu dinner meeting with Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan on Monday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported according to a source informed of the situation. The Advocate first reported the news.

The Cowboys and Dolphins are also among the teams interested in Collins, Rapoport added.

Collins is currently working to clear his name in a police investigation in Louisiana. Collins met Baton Rouge police Monday as part of the investigation into the murder of Brittany Mills. Collins is not a suspect in the case. Mills, 29, was pregnant at the time of her death and had a previous relationship with Collins.

Collins is free to sign a three-year contract as an undrafted free agent with any team.

----------------------------------------

I would hope we could get him, depending on how hard they push!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be fair if he is cleared of the murder he really doesn't have any major character concerns does he?

Newt

DCC 4Life
Yeah but we could flush that wad down the toilet and blow a new wad, preferably on Charlotte's face.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Come on, you know you were thinking about it.....

Surely it wasn't just me. Right?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Eh we drafted a tackle in the third. Collins to me is a probowl caliber guard. Might be our best option at RT this season too.
Exactly. We're also in a position where we can fully guarantee the first three years of his deal, thus making it basically the same in guaranteed money as a late 2nd round pick.

IMO, we should go for it regardless of whether we drafted two other o-linemen a few days ago. Collins was considered a potential top 15 pick, so he'd make our o-line even better than it already is.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Should have drafted him in the 7th then instead of wasting picks on bums.
He wouldn't have signed, which then would have made him eligible for the 2016 draft. Not drafting him prevents him from being able to do that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I agree, I was surprised someone didn't just to lock up his rights.
Makes me wonder if there wasn't an agreement between teams not to, punishable by Goodell like the uncapped year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He wouldn't have signed, which then would have made him eligible for the 2016 draft. Not drafting him prevents him from being able to do that.
So if he sits out he sits out. At least he isn't playing for one of the other teams in the NFL next year beating my team.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I would have called that bluff.
I wouldn't. 7th round picks have a low probability of contributing, but I'd take a low probability rather than a 0% certainty.

D

Deuce

I wouldn't. 7th round picks have a low probability of contributing, but I'd take a low probability rather than a 0% certainty.
There was no certainty, there was a threat. They petitioned the league to be removed and were denied, so they did the next best thing to control their own destiny. Once he has a day to cool off, he'll hopefully have smart enough people around him to help him realize that voluntarily taking a full year off of football is idiotic. The probability of him not getting a little lazy and athletic would be high.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Teams can't visit with him "officially" until his exams are over, this weekend. There are several Dolphins going to see him personally and Jameis Winston is trying to recruit him as well.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree, I was surprised someone didn't just to lock up his rights.
He actually did threaten to do just this, which is why teams didn't bother wasting a pick.

I wonder if anyone could sign him for 1st round pick money anyways given the CBA limitations on UDFA contracts.

Top Bottom