Gosselin: entire staff needs to be reassessed

p1_

DCC 4Life
NEW ORLEANS — The drumbeat from Jason Garrett remains annoyingly the same.

Even after what may have been the most embarrassing defeat of his coaching tenure — a 49-17 thrashing by the New Orleans Saints on national television Sunday night — Garrett preached his same weekly message.

“You go back to work,” the Cowboys coach said. “You have to watch the tape and see what was good in this game and what was not so good. You try to clean up what happened in this ball game, learn from it and get better as a result of it.”

But the tape isn't going to show Garrett all that ails his Cowboys. There's more to clean up than any sloppy play on the field. The Cowboys must clean up the mess off the field that is their coaching staff.

So the bye comes at an opportune time.

Everything needs to be reassessed. And I would expect Jerry Jones to be knee-deep in the process, demanding solutions from a staff of which so much was expected this season.

Because defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin doesn't appear to have any answers at this point. Neither does offensive coordinator Bill Callahan. Nor does Garrett. The Cowboys are getting outcoached as well as outplayed.

The last time the Cowboys appeared this inept on a national stage, Jones fired Wade Phillips after a 45-7 shellacking at Green Bay on the opening weekend of November in 2010.

Garrett has to realize his own job is on the line. He's 26-24 in his tenure as head coach and there's a glaring lack of progress in this his third season.

Garrett talks on a weekly basis about the coaches and players watching the tape and learning from it — but those lessons and that improvement don't seem to reach to the field. At 5-5, the Cowboys continue to plod along on the treadmill of mediocrity.

Offensively, the Saints trampled the Cowboys for 625 yards and 40 first downs. New Orleans collected almost as many first downs as the Cowboys ran plays (43). Drew Brees passed for 392 yards, Mark Ingram rushed for 145 yards and nine different receivers caught passes.

Whatever the Saints wanted to do on offense against the Cowboys, they did. Brees completed 19 consecutive passes at one point. Five different Saints turned in plays longer than 20 yards. Look for the Cowboys to sink to 32 in the NFL in defense this week.

Kiffin can blame injuries. Three more starters were missing Sunday night because of injury — tackle Jason Hatcher, cornerback Morris Claiborne and safety J.J. Wilcox. Then Sean Lee left early in the second quarter with a hamstring injury and DeMarcus Ware was an irregular contributor because of a lingering quadriceps injury.

But injuries are a part of football. The Saints themselves have been missing five injured starters on defense all season long — ends Will Smith and Kenton Coleman, linebackers Jonathan Vilma and Victor Butler and safety Malcolm Jenkins — plus nickel cornerback Patrick Robinson.

But there were no excuses from the Saints locker room. Only defensive stops of the Cowboys, who failed to covert a single third-down in nine tries.

Despite that short-handed New Orleans defense across the way, Tony Romo endured one of the worst games of his career. He completed only 10 of 24 passes with three sacks and an intentional grounding.

And the Cowboys couldn't figure out a way to get the ball to their resident playmaker Dez Bryant. That's on Callahan. And that's a coaching crime.

The Cowboys didn't throw Bryant a pass until the third quarter was three minutes old. By then the Cowboys were down 28-10. Romo didn't complete a pass to Bryant until a minute remained in the third quarter. By then the Cowboys were down 35-10.

The Cowboys didn't throw Bryant another pass and, quizzically, Garrett left Romo on the field the rest of the way in a lost cause. That subjected him to two more sacks in the closing minutes.

That's a beating he doesn't need to take. If Romo goes down, the Cowboys are cooked. Backup Kyle Orton should have been on the field once the score reached 49-17 with five minutes remaining — if not sooner.

That was on Garrett.

Certainly, the level of play must improve. Romo can't afford to have any more off days and this defense must start tackling someone, anyone regardless who's on the field. But the game plans also need be better. The great coaches in this league put their players in positions to be successful. That's not happening right now in Dallas.

When the Cowboys face quality quarterbacks such as Brees, they get toasted. When they face quality running backs such as Adrian Peterson, they get toasted. When they face quality offenses such as the Detroit Lions, they stagger. When they face quality defenses such as the Kansas City Chiefs, they sputter.

The Cowboys aspire to be a playoff team but in four games against teams that do figure to be playing this January — Kansas City, Denver, Detroit and New Orleans — they are 0-4.

There's plenty to fix and the Cowboys now have two weeks to fix it.

“I never saw this coming,” Jones said after the game.

The Rams were a 10-point underdog Sunday but routed the Colts at Indianapolis by 30 points. Carolina went to San Francisco as a touchdown underdog and shocked the 49ers. Coaching can make a difference in this league.

Time is running out for the coaching to start to make a difference in Dallas

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Time should run out a whole ago on this staff. This is why I was so pissed when we fired Rob Ryan. Nothing but scapegoating to mask and avoid addressing the real problem on the coaching staff.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree. It should be house cleaning time for the ENTIRE staff.

Newt

DCC 4Life
We need to strip everything down. Coaches, Players, Trainers, Waterboys, Cage Dancers. All of them. Its time to clean house and get rid of these losers.

Cut all these high profile, expensive yet worthless players. Eat the dead money next year and suck it up. Hope for a couple good drafts and churn the shit out of the roster.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And the Cowboys couldn't figure out a way to get the ball to their resident playmaker Dez Bryant. That's on Callahan. And that's a coaching crime.

The Cowboys didn't throw Bryant a pass until the third quarter was three minutes old. By then the Cowboys were down 28-10. Romo didn't complete a pass to Bryant until a minute remained in the third quarter. By then the Cowboys were down 35-10.
I'm not saying Dez is blame-free for his lack of production, but I really think it's mostly the fault of this piece of shit staff.

All of the best receivers get doubled teamed and all of the best receivers received the defense's attention. And yet somehow, you still see them running free at various points in a game.

I wonder why that is?

Andre Johnson is constantly seen running wide open in that offense, so what does that mean? That he somehow beats double or triple coverage so badly that he's open by 10 yards, or is it maybe, just maybe, his offensive staff finds ways to get him involved regardless of what the defense is doing?

I'm going to go with the latter.

If you put Witten and Dez on the Saints right now, I'm guessing they'd both be having much better years than they are right now with Dallas.

Couple Garrett's inability to make adjustments with Romo's new found conservativeness, and it doesn't take much to cause the Cowboys from completely ignoring Dez.

“I never saw this coming,” Jones said after the game.
:lol

Whotta shocker.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If you're making a head coaching change, the new coach gets to decide who to keep and who not to keep though.
Agreed.

It would suck to lose him, but if we hire a real coach, then he should be allowed to bring in whomever he likes.

Newt

DCC 4Life
We could fire Kiffin today and let Marinelli run the defense for the rest of the season, can't get any worse and I think the players would react well to the change.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We could fire Kiffin today and let Marinelli run the defense for the rest of the season, can't get any worse and I think the players would react well to the change.
That should be what they do, but that would be a public admission of embarrassment for Jerry less than 24 hours after getting his ass handed to him by the DC he just fired.

No way Jerry is going to bring that type of shame on himself.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As if 18 years of losing isnt indictment enough.
It would be to most people, but we're talking about a guy who looks at the man in the mirror and self criticizes.....and stuff.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I wonder if Marinelli would do that given his loyalty to Kiffin?

kidd

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying Dez is blame-free for his lack of production, but I really think it's mostly the fault of this piece of shit staff.

All of the best receivers get doubled teamed and all of the best receivers received the defense's attention. And yet somehow, you still see them running free at various points in a game.

I wonder why that is?

Andre Johnson is constantly seen running wide open in that offense, so what does that mean? That he somehow beats double or triple coverage so badly that he's open by 10 yards, or is it maybe, just maybe, his offensive staff finds ways to get him involved regardless of what the defense is doing?

I'm going to go with the latter.

If you put Witten and Dez on the Saints right now, I'm guessing they'd both be having much better years than they are right now with Dallas.

Couple Garrett's inability to make adjustments with Romo's new found conservativeness, and it doesn't take much to cause the Cowboys from completely ignoring Dez.

:lol

Whotta shocker.
This is why I wanted Peyton to proceed Parcells all along. Had FJ stepped down a year earlier and let Jerry hire Peyton, this team may have won a championship if Jerry stayed out of the coach's way.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I know he didn't have a lot of success in Detroit but could Marinelli succeed in Dallas as HC?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I know he didn't have a lot of success in Detroit but could Marinelli succeed in Dallas as HC?
Doubtful, nor do I think we should go that route.

I am willing to give him a shot at DC, though.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nobody can. Its Death Valley for coaches.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Vacations to North Korea for everybody.

Top Bottom