DC.Com Staff Compiles Its First 2014 Mock Draft

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DC.Com Staff Compiles Its First 2014 Mock Draft

Posted 21 hours ago

By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – The time’s come a month before the draft for the DallasCowboys.com staff’s first attempt at a Cowboys mock draft.

The draft doesn’t start until May 8, so a lot’s bound to happen and change in the next month, but members of the DC.com staff have analyzed enough of the prospects to make their initial projections and briefly explain their choices.

Most mock drafts have a variety of choices for the Cowboys with the 16th overall pick, and it’s no different in these. While there are a couple similarities between the choices, all five analysts have five different choices for the top overall pick.

Here are the first full mock drafts from Bryan Broaddus, Nick Eatman, Rowan Kavner, Ed Cahill and David Helman.
Bryan
David
Ed
Nick
Rowan
Round 1
Kony
Ealy

DE - Missouri​
Zack
Martin

OT/OG - Notre Dame​
C.J.
Mosley

LB - Alabama​
Ha'Sean
Clinton-Dix

S - Alabama​
Aaron

Donald

DT - Pittsburgh​
Round 2
Jordan
Matthews

WR - Vanderbilt​
Jordan
Matthews
WR - Vanderbilt
Ra'shede

Hageman

DT - Minnesota​
Stephon
Tuitt

DE/DT - Notre Dame​
Jimmie

Ward

S - N. Illinois​
Round 3
DeMarcus
Lawrence

DE - Boise State​
Jackson
Jeffcoat
DE - Texas
Trent
Murphy

DE - Stanford​
Telvin

Smith

LB - Florida State​
Marcus

Smith
DE - Louisville
Round 4
Jeremy
Hill
RB - LSU​
Will

Sutton
DT - Arizona St.
Aaron

Murray

QB - Georgia​
Charles
Sims

RB - West Virginia​
Josh
Huff
WR - Oregon
Round 5
Ryan
Carrethers

DT - Arkansas St.​
Jordan
Zumwalt
LB - UCLA
Mike
Davis

WR - Texas​
Jon
Halapio

G - Florida​
Trai

Turner
OG - LSU
Round 7
Tom
Savage

QB - Pittsburgh​
Aaron

Lynch
DE - USF
Aaron

Lynch

DE - USF​
Crocket
Gilmore

TE - Colorado State​
Larry

Webster
DE - Bloomsburg
Round 7
JC
Copeland

FB - LSU​
Connor

Shaw
QB - South Carolina
Isaiah

Crowell

RB - Alabama St.​
Devan
Drane

CB - Cincinnati​
Brandon
Dixon
CB - NW Missouri St.
Round 7
Marqueston
Huff

S - Wyoming​
Spencer

Long
G - Nebraska
Justin
Britt

OT - Missouri​
Ethan
Westbrooks

DE - W. Texas A&M​
Jonathan
Newsome
OLB - Ball State
Round 7
Spencer
Long

OG - Nebraska​
Ik

Enemkpali
DE - Louisiana Tech
Marqueston
Huff

S - Wyoming​
Tevin
Reese

WR - Baylor​
Lorenzo
Taliaferro
RB - Coastal Carolina
Round 7
Osahon

Irabor

CB - Arizona St.​
Marqueston

Huff
S- Wyoming
Darrell

Johnson

LB - E. Carolina​
Luke
Lucas

OT - Kansas St.​
Chaz
Sutton
DE - South Carolina
Round 7
Kirby

Van Der Camp

P - Iowa State​
Ladarius

Perkins
RB - Miss St.
Dexter
McDougle

CB - Maryland​
Keidrick
Jackson

RB - Midwestern State​
Donald
Hawkins
OT - Texas

Bryan: I can see where this Cowboys front office and coaches fall in love with the flexibility of Ealy. Matthews can play as the X or Z along with some work in the slot. Lawrence will sit better than a third-round grade on their board. Jermey Hill is a perfect one back or can line up behind a fullback. Ryan Carrethers is a get-after-you 1-technique. Tom Savage is smart and can make all the throws. If you are going to have a fullback on the roster, J.C. Copeland is the best one. Marqueston Huff can play down in the box, but has the skill set for single-high work with range. Spencer Long hurt his knee in October, but before that his tape was really good. Nice scheme fit. Irabor can play zone or off well, and Van Der Kamp is the best punter in the draft.

David:It’s probably going to rustle some feathers that I have the Cowboys taking offensive players with their first two picks, but both Martin and Matthews are great values at those spots. They’re both capable of contributing immediately and add great depth to their positions. I have the Cowboys addressing the D-Line right after that, with Jeffcoat being especially intriguing – for his athleticism as well as his familiar last name. Zumwalt looks like one of those guys who shines in-game, rather than during drills. He had 93 tackles and 6.5 tackels for loss with UCLA last year. Among the late picks, Shaw was a proven winner, if not a polished passer, at South Carolina. Long intrigues me because he was considered a much higher pick before an ACL injury derailed his 2013 campaign.

Ed: If the Cowboys were to land Mosley, Hageman, and Murphy in the first three rounds of this draft it would go a long way in fixing the defense here in Dallas. All three could push for starting positions on week 1, and could prove to be the core of this defense moving forward. Aaron Murray is a bit of a luxury pick, but this seasoned college quarterback would be a steal in the fourth round. I feel strong about the second half of my draft. It includes a few character and injury concerns, but I’ll trade those concerns for talent and upside on day three. My favorite of the lot would be running back Isaiah Crowell. Huge character concerns, but the Georgia transfer has loads of talent and potential.

Nick: While I’m not crazy about any of the players likely to be there at No. 16 (and I just don’t think Aaron Donald will be available), I’ll go with Clinton-Dix because of his experience. Hopefully if he can be a player similar to Mark Barron that’s a win for the Cowboys’ defense. Tuitt is projected as a 3-4 end, but his size is very similar to Jason Hatcher and could fit perfectly in defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli’s scheme. Smith is a speedy linebacker with great range and Sims is a compact, hard-nosed runner who could contribute early in the passing game. After that I wanted to take a little bit of everything since they have so many picks. And no, it’s not a coincidence my first few selections are all from big schools. I think the Cowboys have struggled lately in finding small-school gems.

Rowan: I’d be shocked to see the Cowboys pass if Donald is still available at 16, regardless of the other players left on the board. He’s a perfect fit for Rod Marinelli, who can figure out the best way to utilize Donald and Henry Melton, considering they both seem to be good fits at the three-technique. Ward may end up being the best safety from this draft. Like many of the pass-rushers in this draft, some may project Smith more as a 3-4 outside linebacker than a 4-3 end. It may take him some time to get used to consistently putting his hand on the ground, but he has the frame to play in either scheme and knows how to reach the quarterback. Huff stood out at the Senior Bowl and would fit in well in the slot in Dallas with his quickness, sharp route-running and willingness to block.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Cant stand Murray but I would have to go with Ed on this one.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't like any of them really, but Cahill's is the best.

Kavner's would be the more appealing, but it is unrealistic as there is just no way Aaron Donald is a Cowboy unless we trade up for him. Started out liking Eatman's then he lost his frigging mind with the 7th rounders. Same thing happens with Helman's.

Broaddus' mock would make me homicidal. Starts out bad then never gets better. Lawrence is the only quality pick out of all of them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Don't like any of them really, but Cahill's is the best.

Kavner's would be the more appealing, but it is unrealistic as there is just no way Aaron Donald is a Cowboy unless we trade up for him. Started out liking Eatman's then he lost his frigging mind with the 7th rounders. Same thing happens with Helman's.

Broaddus' mock would make me homicidal. Starts out bad then never gets better. Lawrence is the only quality pick out of all of them.
I wouldn't mind Tevin Reese in the 7th at all.

midswat

... soon
I can't see all the mocks on my phone for some reason. Only the first two, which both have us taking a wr in the 2nd.

I'll cut a kittens throat if we go te/wr in round two.

Believe that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't see all the mocks on my phone for some reason. Only the first two, which both have us taking a wr in the 2nd.

I'll cut a kittens throat if we go te/wr in round two.

Believe that.
Had us taking Jordan Matthews both times.

Kittens, beware.

midswat

... soon
I don't even know who Jordan matthews is. #draftnik

junk

Not So New Member
I am confused. He is not from Montana.
Also Danny Kistler and Brock Coyle.

Seriously though, Long had a decent resume before getting hurt. He got hurt in October, so he should be ready to go fairly soon.

Top Bottom