Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
gotta love getting healthier. would love to see maliek get a lot of reps in preseason and fight for a rotation spot this season

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Should've PUP'ed Collins for the season, no point in wasting time with him after he missed the first preseason game and 2 weeks of training camp.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should've PUP'ed Collins for the season, no point in wasting time with him after he missed the first preseason game and 2 weeks of training camp.
Was it Ravi who was arguing for that back when the injury happened? :lol

Cotton

Staff member
Wouldn't that just be IR? :unsure

Cotton

Staff member
Fresh and rested, Tony Romo has sharpest practice of camp

Tony Romo had the offense clicking during Monday's practice session. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports
9:10 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- Coming off three days of rest Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo had perhaps his sharpest practice of training camp.

Romo completed 15 of 19 passes in team and 7-on-7 drills Monday, raising his camp total to 83-of-128 in those situations.

Romo completed 12 of his first 13 passes, with the lone incompletion a drop by running back Alfred Morris on a check down. Romo and wide receiver Terrance Williams were particularly effective, connecting six times. In the blitz period, Romo found Williams on three of four plays as the defense was paying extra attention to Dez Bryant.

Romo and Bryant hooked up on two crossing routes that would have led to big gains and took advantage of a mix up in coverage by the defense for what would have been a touchdown. Their only misstep came in one-on-one drills, when Romo thought his receiver was breaking up the field on a double route. Instead Bryant broke off toward the sideline.

In his last two practices, Romo has completed 22 of 27 passes. The timing is coming back.

On to the observations:

Set to return to practice Tuesday, rookie RB Ezekiel Elliott went through extensive rehab work with associate athletic trainer Britt Brown. Elliott went through resistance work, running a series of sprints as Brown tugged at an attached cord. He did more running off to the side than he would do in a normal practice. Interestingly, he also carried a football with him through the drills.

Everybody knows about the intensity of LB Sean Lee. It was on full display during the final team period for the starters. On third-and-short, Lee was able to break up a Romo throw underneath to Morris to force a punt. After the play Lee let out a scream.

CB Orlando Scandrick looked to be moving much better Monday than he has for most of camp. He broke up an out route to TE Jason Witten, filled nicely on a Morris run to the outside and smothered his receiver on the aforementioned Lee breakup.

In his first practice of the summer because of an eye injury, LB Damien Wilson was active. Maybe it was fresh legs, but in his first two snaps of team drills he was able to make the tackle, stopping QB Dak Prescott on a zone read in the backfield.

Prescott was able to kill the clock for the offense by coming up with a first-down pass to TE Geoff Swaim on a bootleg. Then he ended the game with a perfect throw on a slant to WR Andy Jones. It was an important play for Jones because he had two drops in the preseason opener. In play-action drills, Prescott made a poor read on a throw to Brice Butler in the middle of the field that was broken up. He had WR Devin Street wide open down the sideline on the play.

LB Kyle Wilber took some work in one-on-one pass rush drills as a defensive end, which might have been the first time that happened in camp. Wilber has served as an emergency defensive end since the Cowboys switched to the 4-3 scheme in 2013.

Instead of running one-on-one drills between the receivers and defensive backs, the Cowboys had two-on-two drills with the corners and receivers to work on reading route combinations and coverages.

K Dan Bailey made all six of his attempts, topping out at 53 yards. Bailey has missed three kicks in camp, two coming from 50-plus yards.

DE Benson Mayowa (knee) and DT Maliek Collins (foot) did not take any team snaps in their first training camp practice of the summer.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Everybody knows about the intensity of LB Sean Lee. It was on full display during the final team period for the starters. On third-and-short, Lee was able to break up a Romo throw underneath to Morris to force a punt. After the play Lee let out a scream.
Did he injure himself again?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
Damn it.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Ugh, here's hoping that it isn't a lasting injury. Seems our DL can't get rid of the injury bug this offseason.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm sure Dak's performance had nothing to do with it. :)
I like that he's got a little pressure, but hopefully he continues to be a guiding force in Dak's development.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ugh, here's hoping that it isn't a lasting injury. Seems our DL can't get rid of the injury bug this offseason.
Just as a bunch of them start getting healthy of course someone else has to get hurt.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout's Notebook: Coping With Injuries Along The D-Line Vs. Miami; More

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:37 PM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus

OXNARD, Calif. – I’m off to the airport, but first – here are some notes from Wednesday’s final practice at training camp before the Cowboys break things down and head back to Dallas.

The second preseason game is in two days at AT&T Stadium, and we’ll have every angle covered for you.

•Look for Ryan Russell and Mike McAdoo to play a ton of snaps at defensive end against the Dolphins. I don't believe we are going to see much from Benson Mayowa and Jack Crawford -- maybe a series of two, but that would be all. This group is pretty thin at the moment.

•It wasn't the best few days of practice for Dak Prescott coming off the big game against the Los Angeles Rams. I will be interested to see how he plays this week while working with the backup offensive personnel group. I believe we will find out a great deal about him as a quarterback during this game.

•With Anthony Brown missing time with a sore hamstring, Jeremiah McKinnon has taken his spot in the nickel playing the slot. I do like what I have seen from McKinnon up to this point. His technique has improved where there is far less grabbing and holding while he is in coverage. He is likely going to be one of the many young defensive players that will be in there the entire game.

•It's another opportunity for Chaz Green to show these coaches that he is better than what he showed last time out. Green has been getting work the majority of these practices at left tackle while Tyron Smith has been dealing with a stinger. Green knows he is likely going to play the entire game so mentally he understands what to expect. There are things that he improved technique-wise that should help as well. Just a feeling but I expect him to have a better game against the Dolphins than what he had against the Rams.

•I am looking forward to seeing how these defensive coaches work their linebackers in this game -- especially the plan they have for Damien Wilson and Mark Nzeocha. I really liked what I saw from Nzeocha last week, and I’m curious if he can build on that. He put himself in position to make plays but more importantly he was able to finish them. Wilson has been flying around these past two days and looks ready to go. Both came into the league at the same time and this will be the first opportunity that we have had to see them play together.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
•It wasn't the best few days of practice for Dak Prescott coming off the big game against the Los Angeles Rams. I will be interested to see how he plays this week while working with the backup offensive personnel group. I believe we will find out a great deal about him as a quarterback during this game.
Linehan was serious when he said the qbs never looked better, Wade should have stayed gone

Top Bottom