PFT: Rolando McClain’s absence raises eyebrows in Dallas

DLK150

DCC 4Life
i dont buy that - its a supply/demand issue. hes on borrowed time with the jaylon smith pick...everyone knows he'll be gone by next year (or sooner if someone else steps up)
If you're an employee under contract, you show up for work based on the stipulations of that contract, it's really that simple. For the very reason that you mentioned, that he'll likely be gone, I would rather cut him loose and move on then have a "LB for rent" for another season and roll the dice with someone who really wants it. You either buy in and commit or you don't. JMO

Jiggyfly

Banned
If you're an employee under contract, you show up for work based on the stipulations of that contract, it's really that simple. For the very reason that you mentioned, that he'll likely be gone, I would rather cut him loose and move on then have a "LB for rent" for another season and roll the dice with someone who really wants it. You either buy in and commit or you don't. JMO
The stipulations of his contract is that he does not have to attend these OTA's hence the word voluntary.:unsure

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Steve Dennis is saying on 103.3 that when he worked for the Cowboys for a couple years, he learned that the Cowboys actually made an agreement with McClain that he doesn't have to practice and do all stuff other players have to do as long as he plays hard on Sundays. Everyone knows he hates practice and basically everything not on Sundays, so they let him do it.

Sounds like an absolutely great policy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Steve Dennis is saying on 103.3 that when he worked for the Cowboys for a couple years, he learned that the Cowboys actually made an agreement with McClain that he doesn't have to practice and do all stuff other players have to do as long as he plays hard on Sundays. Everyone knows he hates practice and basically everything not on Sundays, so they let him do it.

Yeah, that's a terrible idea.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

And they dumped Hardy for being a bad influence?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And they dumped Hardy for being a bad influence?
Dumping Hardy was a correct move. Maybe McClain needs to be shown the door also. It's been a pins and needles situation with him from the get go.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I've suspected that for a while.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Pretty comical if true although it doesn't seem like he infects the rest of the locker room like Hardy was supposedly doing. Either way, the fact that we haven't been able to replace this guy over 2 offseasons now is completely comical.

And the only plan we have of getting rid of him rests on Smith's balky knee.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

I find this hard to believe on one hand, but this is the Cowboys.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones admits Cowboys have given Rolando McClain some 'slack'

10:05 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' nine organized team activities came and went without Rolando McClain.

The linebacker remained in Alabama for what Jason Garrett called family reasons, however, the coach expressed disappointment McClain was not at Valley Ranch. Owner and general manager Jerry Jones added context to McClain’s absence when appearing on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Wednesday.

"It's fair to everybody to understand that Rolando's boys, his family lives in Alabama and he doesn't live with them. His former significant other is where they are. His offseason is spent with those boys and that's an understanding we have when he came through the door," Jones said. "He has to be there to spend time with them, and we expect him to compensate for that.”

Jones said McClain has earned some “slack” with his on-field play the last two seasons.

“If you look at how his impact when he's there with us on the field, what he can do for our team,” Jones said. “If you look at his background in the NFL, how he's evolved, I'm glad he's a Cowboy.”

Other players, however, have children who live out of state yet have had perfect attendance.

Garrett said he spoke with McClain within the last week. He said he is not sure whether McClain would be on hand for next week’s mandatory minicamp. If McClain skipped the camp, then he would be subject to a fine.

Even if he reports to practice, it is possible Garrett chooses not to practice McClain. The same is true for guard Ronald Leary, who also missed the OTAs as he looks for a trade.

“We’ll determine what our plan is when they get here,” Garrett said.

Garrett’s focus is on the players who have been at the voluntary offseason program, not those who haven't. McClain’s absence, however, has taxed the linebackers because of absences of Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith due to injuries.

“I know that our guys have done a fantastic job of coming in here and going to work,” Garrett said. “I think everyone understands this is a voluntary period of the year and our team is choosing to be here. Certain guys have certain situations that they’re dealing with, and it’s not something that our players are focused on. They’re focused on what they can do to help our team get better. We’re fortunate to have the group that we have.”

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The stipulations of his contract is that he does not have to attend these OTA's hence the word voluntary.:unsure
Then whoever wrote his contract is an idiot. You don't let a guy who has a questionable work ethic to begin with skate, at least not in my opinion.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Then whoever wrote his contract is an idiot. You don't let a guy who has a questionable work ethic to begin with skate, at least not in my opinion.

That part isn't his contract, though, it's mandated by the CBA.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Every player in the NFL has that in their contract.

That's why they are called voluntary OTA's be the league.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I didn't know that about the CBA because I didn't pay much attention to the details when it was passed. Still, showing up at least shows commitment, at least in my opinion.

Top Bottom