Sturm's Draft Series

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Henry in the second would be decent. I could live with that.

But that really depends on what happens with the first round.
We could do much worse than Henry. Of course I'd be good with about any non-QB in the 2nd if they are graded near 34. Lynch would be the only QB I'd take at that spot but think someone will take him sooner. Even heard we are exploring possible trading partners if he slips into the last 1st.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's draft profile series: Florida DL Jonathan Bullard gives Cowboys something to consider in Round 2[/h]
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor Contact Bob Sturmon Twitter:@SportsSturm

I have never been a scout or a NFL general manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

Jonathan Bullard, DE/DT Florida - 6'3, 285 - senior - No. 90

Let's continue to work through the defensive line in this draft which is both deep and shallow. Deep in that there are a number of really devastating inside guys who can stop the run and occasionally collapse the pocket with a strong bull rush up the middle. Shallow, in that after a handful of exceptional edge rush guys at the top -- Joey Bosa, Kevin Dodd, Shaq Lawson, and Noah Spence -- the fall to the next group of pass rushers that could either play the defensive left side (more of a run/pass guy) or the right (strictly pass rusher) is rather thin.

So, our next group of players will work to find the types of players that might fit in that next group in the late stages of the first round and into the second round where the local team appears to be more and more likely to be browsing the list of available players to plug and play in the Cowboys defensive front.

Jonathan Bullard has played for four years on the Florida defensive front and his ability to play pretty much all across the line is his calling card, along with production for at least the last two years where he has accumulated nine sacks and 26 tackles for loss in Gainesville in 2014 and 2015 combined.

What I liked: Bullard is a really active body who makes sure he is maximizing his ability with a solid motor. His explosive "get off" is very impressive when he is on his game and he is over the line of scrimmage before the ball in out of the center's hand. This seems like an elementary premise, but you would be surprised how many defensive linemen are not very good at this all-important trait that changes everything about a player. He is probably more of a DT for me than an edge guy as inside he is able to turn guards and get into the backfield to disrupt run plays with real regularity. I think he plays like his name suggests and could be an exceptional run-plugger and possibly even a 5-technique in a 3-4 with a 2-gap system. At either the 1-tech or the 3-tech, he might be stout enough to stand his ground while playing in the backfield a fair amount. He is athletic on the edge and when he is left in space, he has short-area quickness that serves him well as he walks down threats by decent lateral movement. And he also seems to rise to the occasions late in games and still has energy in reserve to deal with tiring opponents.

What I did not like: He just doesn't seem to indicate -- even through four years at the big-time college level -- that he has a whole lot of idea how to rush the passer with moves or technique from the edge. The times I would see him get to the QB happened from the inside at DT or it would be from the outside on "motor" plays and cleaning up chaos with a sack late. They all count, of course, but I am going to need some better flash against college right tackles before I label him a legitimate pass rush prospect in the NFL. He also gets stuck on blocks a bit too often for a man his size. I see a lot of "solid" in his game, but the lack of too much flash from DE puts him in a stack of players that are safe plays but not much potential to demonstrate a real high ceiling on Sundays. You need guys like this, but they also can get overdrafted.

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: There is nothing wrong with Jonathan Bullard and there are times (like the Tennessee game from last season) where he takes over games and gets you fired up about his output. But, overall, he is the type of guy every team needs up front who can serve more of a utility role and can play both defensive tackle spots and the strong-side end. The question would be whether you would want to upgrade from him in two years because you covet someone who can actually beat NFL right tackles for sacks eight times a year.

I think he fits in the stack of potential DE's the Cowboys will consider in Round 2, but for me, I would want to hold out until I can find someone with a bit more of an edge presence. There is no doubt there is value in his ability to disrupt and defend run plays so well, but I think for the Cowboys defensive front to really find that next level, they will need a defensive end with more of a natural pass rush ability to his game and I don't think Bullard fits here on that front. Could he actually be one of the better options as a 3-technique DT with his interior quickness? Perhaps, but if we look at him as anything but that, I don't think it works here. He seems to be receiving some first-round chatter, but I don't think the Cowboys scheme is a real fit unless they want to utilize his Swiss Army knife-like position versatility.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bullard looks like he would be a massive reach before the fourth round for us. At best he is a Crawford type in my opinion.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bullard looks like he would be a massive reach before the fourth round for us. At best he is a Crawford type in my opinion.
Except he can already played DT and has shown much more as an interior pass-rusher in college than Crawford ever did.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Except he can already played DT and has shown much more as an interior pass-rusher in college than Crawford ever did.
He hasn't show much as a pass rusher period in college. Crawford registered more sacks in his final year of college football then Bullard did his entire career.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's Draft Profile Series: Notre Dame's CJ Prosise Will Require Some RB Projections[/h]
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

(March 21 note: I think it is important this week to go a bit deeper on Running Backs - a position of need for the Cowboys. I will be working on some guys who do not fit in the "Top 50", but rather 2nd, 3rd and 4thround ideas at this spot for a Dallas-specific study. We miss a few guys who are not at spots of need for Dallas, but I can only get to so many.)

CJ Prosise, RB, Notre Dame - 6'0, 225 - Junior - #15

This year's Running Back crop is probably similar to last year's in that there are 2 clear top guys (in my humble opinion) with Elliott and Henry, but then another group that includes Devontae Booker, Kenneth Dixon, Paul Perkins, Jordan Howard, and CJ Prosise (perhaps a few others) that fall somewhere between #40-#120 overall. These guys might all be quite capable in the right system and there are certainly many real strong running backs that have fallen in this range (Matt Forte #44, LeVeon Bell #48, LeSean McCoy #53, Ray Rice #55, Eddie Lacy #61, DeMarco Murray #71, Jamaal Charles #77, David Johnson #86, and Lamar Miller #97) - but there are many more (we must not forget - 33 others during that span of 2008-15) that are taken here and never heard from again. So, if you find 9 or 10 out of 42, that about hitting on 20-25%.

Now, those are really nice picks. So, a 20% hit rate is not inspiring. This is likely why fans and media think of a top of the 4th (Cowboys have pick #101) round is not a very valuable pick while the NFL war-room disagrees. But, this might explain why they are thinking they would rather consider #135 on Running Back if the odds are this poor. Either way, this team needs better options in the backfield, in my opinion.

So let's examine this RB from Notre Dame that is getting plenty of buzz in draft season. CJ Prosise was a slot receiver as a freshman and sophomore for the Irish. Then, a year ago, he tried RB in spring football to give the offense some options. As fate would have it, the starter was hurt in the opener, and Prosise came on to take over. The next 2 months were pretty impressive as he knocked out 6.5 yards a carry and broke a ton of big runs. Unfortunately, he also found the beating that RB gets is different than slot, and he dealt with a shoulder, a concussion, and finally a high ankle sprain that knocked him out of action altogether. Then, he declared for the draft with only 9 full games at RB in his career.

What I liked: He definitely catches your eye with juice to the edge and a highlight film that is impressive indeed. When you look at the enclosed video clips, you will see that when he gets into space, he is a real terror. He has acceleration talent that is impossible to teach and you better keep him from getting to the 2nd level. Add to that a background as a wide receiver and you will see his terrific at catching the ball out of the backfield and a real natural there with an advanced skill set for all of those other things you would like to see a RB do. He runs physically and instinctively in traffic and is able to break an awful lot of tackles and get some extra yardage. Surprisingly for a former WR, he also picks up blitzes with impressive ability and doesn't hurt you in pass protection.

What I did not like: Well, this is where you need to remember that he has only been playing RB for a few months. That said, I don't think I am quite the fan that the draft community is because he isn't very good between the tackles with vision and feel for getting something when the original path is not ideal. He tip-toes when he is unsure of his path and that allows the defense more time and in the NFL that is not great. He sort of looks exactly like a WR might look if you put him at RB in that he is great following lead blockers (like on end arounds) - most of his big runs have a pulling guard out front - and great heading out to the sideline. This says to me he is more of a "change-up" back than a candidate to be a starter. He also put the ball on the ground 5 times this season for a guy who did not have 200 touches. That is problematic as well.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: Basically, he has the tools and he just needs the opportunity. Or that is what will be said in the war-rooms as people advocate for him in their organization. He has two things really working for him as we approach his draft day and the combination of juice - he ran a 4.48 and certainly looks the part when he is running away from players on these clips - and upside might get him put somewhere in that #40-#100 range.

I have reservations because I see a lot of Felix Jones in him when you examine his frame (although he is a bit taller), speed skills, his work-rate in college, and his highlight film. Prosise likely has more use as a RB because of his receiving skills and ability to pick up blitzes, but I do see him as a project that interests me at a certain price. I am just not sure the price I would put on him is the price it would take to get to him on draft day. I think this team needs more of a horse that is comfortable both inside and outside the tackles, and Prosise may grow into that, but projections at this position are always tricky. This is especially true for a guy who was pretty banged up in his one college season at the position. Nice player and perhaps fits right in as a 3rd Down back, but not ideal for what this team needs.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Prosise intrigues me due to his receiving skills. Running, not so much.

Jiggyfly

Banned
After hearing about the injuries and the fumbles I am not taking him before the 4th round and then with some hesitation.

I think he has to looked at as Dunbar 2.0 and he would also have to be return guy.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's Draft Profile Series: Louisiana Tech's Kenneth Dixon - A RB Jack Of All Trades[/h]
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor Contact Bob Sturmon Twitter:@SportsSturm

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

(March 21 note: I think it is important this week to go a bit deeper on Running Backs - a position of need for the Cowboys. I will be working on some guys who do not fit in the "Top 50", but rather 2nd, 3rd and 4thround ideas at this spot for a Dallas-specific study. We miss a few guys who are not at spots of need for Dallas, but I can only get to so many.)

Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech - 5'10, 213 - Senior - #28

Let's continue working through the running back that feature in this spring's draft by studying the fine work of Kenneth Dixon. It is at this juncture that I feel compelled to mention a conversational piece about evaluating a Running Back in today's game. First, we know it is now a passing league and while some teams - maybe even the Cowboys - dispute that with their offensive tactics, the fact is that teams are passing more than ever before and it is continuing in that direction with each passing decade. So, as combine that fact with the life-span studies of the position, we find that RB values have never been lower.

But, to me, what makes evaluating RB very difficult is that there are so many components to playing the position. And each evaluator is placing different amounts of importance on each spot. Running the ball in all the different ways that can be done is complex by itself. But, now we want a RB who can decode and defend blitzes. We want a RB who can catch passes out of the backfield. We want a RB who secures the ball. We want a RB who can work in short yardage. We want one that is tough to tackle but also very elusive. We want a RB who is healthy and has not been over-used, but he has been used enough that we feel he has proven capable. And when you look at one man's rankings, it is tough to know what he values the most. Because there will seldom be a time a prospect does it all well.

But, in the end, you are looking for someone who does most things really, really well. And one of those studies this year is Kenneth Dixon. While he hasn't played at the highest of college levels, his level is quite high, and he has been in the end zone 87 times in 4 seasons.

What I liked: He is quick, elusive, and competitive. He does everything that you are looking for in a Running Back, making you wonder if he is a true 3-down back who might be more dangerous in 3rd down/2-min drill situations than he is on 1st and 10. He catches the ball well and when he gets in space, you are going to need a group to get him down. He has a mean streak that is evident and he wants to battle all day. He has no issues with running inside or outside and he also will compete for every last yard on every occasion. In pass protection, he is more than willing and while he doesn't necessarily have ideal size for that work, it is often interest level that determines success rate and he is plenty interested. But, he is a workhorse who you can feed the ball to continuously and the production just keeps coming.

What I did not like: Well, it has to start with two pretty big deal breakers for some people. First, he has had almost 900 college touches which, at a position of short career spans, a number that high often produces the feeling that he has already begun to show wear on his treads and now the hits and defenses become more vicious on Sundays. For me, this isn't a huge deal, to a point. The other issue is more problematic. His fumbles over the last three seasons: 13. In a league that stresses ball security, he averages a fumble about every 60 touches at the college level. That usually doesn't improve in the NFL and you want to see that over "1 per 100" if you can find it. Beyond that, it must be pointed out that a lot of his running came in the shotgun of a spread offense against 5 and 6-man boxes. That means there is a lot more real estate to work with than one generally sees in the NFL, meaning one must carefully evaluate how that will translate to "12" personnel on 1stand 10 when the opponent has 9 in the box against Dallas.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: Kenneth Dixon is not a player I knew a whole lot about and then was really impressed with his performance in his Bowl game (the New Orleans Bowl against Arkansas State) and wanted to know more. He competes so hard and does so many useful things that there is no doubt that this guy separates from that 2nd tier for me and works his way into the mix for the Top 50 discussion.

Now, his high usage rate and his disposition give me great pause about his durability and ball security issues. These are all things that go together when you talk about a guy getting 25 touches in a game and then fighting through every whistle.
Would he be a fine fit in Dallas? There is no doubt he can do much of what they need. I assume they wish to avoid spending either a 1st or 2ndrounder on a RB, so if Dixon somehow sits there at the Top of Round 3, I would have no problem in investing in him. Then, we must begin working on ball security drills immediately.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Another RB to say bye to.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Interested to see what he says about Collins if I have not missed that already.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I already didn't want Booker knowing he was 24. Add in the injury and I wouldn't take him in the first 4 rounds.

As for Dixon, sounds like he has a fumbling problem. If that's in issue in college it'll likely be worse at the next level.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Dixon intrigues me. He does a lot of things well and fumbling issues can be corrected. I'd gladly take him in the 3rd.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's draft profile series: Why Florida's Vernon Hargreaves may not be match for CB-needy Cowboys[/h]

I have never been a scout or a NFL general manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, click here.

Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida - 5-foot-10, 205 pounds - junior - No. 1

Today, we break down our 40th draft prospect. Hopefully, you have noticed by now that there is no predetermined ranking to figure out what order this is done in, but if not, allow me to verify right here at the top that this young corner from Florida is not at risk of falling out of Round 1. In fact, he might not drop out of the top half of Round 1, so he certainly is not the 40th-best prospect. He is much better than that.

Hargreaves was a top-rated recruit who has basically started from the beginning of his freshman year and has done a wonderful job of grabbing the attention of draft people for years. He has all the attributes of the coveted NFL "ball hawk" who not only can play an ultra-competitive style and defend one of your better threats, but can also get the ball and turn the game with a takeaway, all while crashing forward and showing a willingness to tackle in run support. This is a rather rare set of skills that pushes a player high in the draft.

He has a few things to overcome -- most notably that at 5-10, there are many questions about his ability to deal with the 6-5 monsters he is often enlisted to cover. His performance at the combine let everyone know that in terms of measurables, he won't have any issues with running, jumping, fluid hips, or explosive athleticism. The question is can he play the game on Sundays in a way that takes the best things he showed in college and leaves the poor things behind. Five of his games were used from 2015 to walk through this case -- Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky and Michigan. That Michigan game is what sits poorly with many.

What I liked: He is a very competitive and aggressive corner who does not lack confidence because of his ability to handle most any situation. He plays tight man coverage and this chases away most of the activity in his direction in a lot of games because there isn't much to throw at. He charges forward with a burst of speed to cut off any runs in his direction and can tackle in space. He certainly plays a tight coverage but is always looking to bait a QB or even watch the QB with his peripheral vision and see a play coming his way. He can smother and recover very well if he loses leverage on an inside route. He competes hard on jump balls and on fades near the goal line where they are trying to attack his stature. He is able to pick off plays at him and instantly turn into a threat for a pick-six. He is good and he knows it. He will stir things up and control the intensity level of his defense at times. I think he is a press-man cover guy who can do the job with a physical approach right from the snap. If you drop him off the line, I think his effectiveness drops.

What I did not like: His love for watching the QB can cause him to look rather silly if he guesses wrong. He will not be the first "guessing" corner in the NFL, but that doesn't mean it won't raise major concern about why a man is wide open 20 yards behind him with no safety help when he was fooled into jumping a pass that never happened. He plays in the trail position a lot and this gives up a surprising number of inside throws. It appeared that Florida's coverages were not always being run well with safety support, but he ended up being victimized on more than one occasion. On deep passes, he does look like an undersized corner, as he will lose on high throws and sometimes look off balance or have difficulty finding the ball. On plays with multiple deep routes, it was interesting to see that he did not scare QBs off throwing at him deep. They seemed to want to attack him downfield if they could get the opportunity.

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: There is little doubt that this player is a top prospect. He has known he was the most talented player on the field for a few years and has battled some of the best, and therefore will fall into some bad habits that are not uncommon for this profile at the college game. In the NFL, there are very few weeks when you are not trying to defend an equally talented player, so he will have to clean up his technique a bit and also show the ability to respond to losing battles.

That said, there is no reason he cannot be someone's lead corner and despite a few issues with being 5-10, he has the disposition you are looking for with a player who will have to compensate with an ultra-high compete level. That doesn't look like it will be an issue.

For the Cowboys, there is no question they will be shopping for a corner, but I don't have the feeling they will spend this type of capital to get in on the top corner prospect on just about everyone's board. Furthermore, with as much zone the Cowboys like to play, I am not sure that is his best fit. This is likely a top 10-15 player and the second defensive back off the board. From there, the sky can be the limit if he is utilized properly. Put him in press-man and allow him to compete in the face of a top receiver for years to come.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I already didn't want Booker knowing he was 24. Add in the injury and I wouldn't take him in the first 4 rounds.

As for Dixon, sounds like he has a fumbling problem. If that's in issue in college it'll likely be worse at the next level.
I don't really care if a RB is 24 coming in. You're going to run him for 4 years and let him go anyway. So what if he is 28 when you let him go instead of 26 or 27. Injury prone does suck. Although Murray was injury prone and we got a good amount out of him. The idea with RBs in my opinion is to not have 1 stud and 2 turds. It's to have 3 good RBs that you trust to run the ball. The pounding the positions takes mean someone will likely get hurt. You just want to make sure that the next guy up can do similar things.

As far as Dixon goes, I think fumbles can be worked on by a RB. I don't like them at all but it's something that I have seen players improve with technique changes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hargreaves Sparq can't be nearly high enough for us. First of all he is too small for Dallas to like at 5'10". Second, for a guy that size he didn't run a great forty time either. I can't imagine he will get any sort of serious consideration.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's draft profile series: Why Dallas Cowboys should pass on 'freakish' Georgia LB Leonard Floyd[/h]

I have never been a scout or a NFL general manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, click here.

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia - 6-foot-6, 244 pounds - junior - No. 84

When people talk about the draft being an inexact science, one of the real issues we are speaking about is the simple idea that these are developing young players who are about to jump up a significant level of competition, and in some cases, are going to attempt to find a new and perfect positional fit as well -- all in a new city and with large amounts of money in their pocket. The variables are endless and the failure rate is frustrating for all involved. Nobody wants to pick someone who doesn't flourish at the next level with a premium selection, but there are literally no fail-safe ways of finding players from Saturdays who will automatically succeed on Sundays. The cautionary tales are endless.

One particular issues in this draft game, though, comes for players like Leonard Floyd, who does not "check all of the boxes" that you are looking for in a complete player. Rather, he checks some of them. He rushes the passer well, and at times, very well. There are certain people reading this, regarding a league that always covets a pass rush, who will say that is all they need to hear. But, for a big man that will be an edge guy at the next level and is being projected by some to go in the top 20 picks, you will need to understand the issues he comes with. One, he is an older prospect who will be 24 years old by Week 1. He is also very skinny (although he is trying to fix that by bulking up to 245 after playing last season around 230). And most importantly, based on his playing tape at Georgia, there is no ideal positional fit for him in the SEC, which does not bode really well for him at the next level with even bigger and faster and stronger opponents to deal with. They tried him at inside linebacker and outside linebacker, 2-point stance and 3-point stance, out on the flank or stunting him inside to use his strengths and hide his weaknesses. And honestly, they never looked completely comfortable with their conclusions.

What I liked: He was productive in with pass rush over three seasons with 17 sacks at Georgia and an additional 28.5 tackles for loss. Forty five+ explosive plays in three years is interesting production that was compiled with some very nice speed rushes off the edge and a motor that allowed him to clean up some secondary sacks after the play broke down. He may not have many moves, but the simple streak around the edge at the snap has served him well and will be something that is going to translate to the next level. He also had a few occasions where they had him cover from the slot and he streaks down the field like a gazelle. I am curious, at 6-6 with 4.6 speed, if they ever considered tight end, because he sure looks like that sort of athlete that doesn't have an ideal fit on defense. He is a tremendous athlete with a 39-inch vertical jump and strong quickness traits. He will give you high energy and good aggressiveness and is able to find the ball. These are all traits that are interesting at any level.

What I did not like: He just doesn't seem to have an ideal positional fit. The closest would be a 3-4 outside linebacker, but his physicality lacks at disconcerting levels when he is dealing with a play coming at him rather than away from him. He attacks a QB, but when the offensive line is attacking forward, he cannot stand his ground and often gets pushed right out of the way. He is routinely blocked by tight ends and gets stuck in traffic continuously. He is skinny and often appears outclassed with regards to power. Even on his pass rushes, he is pretty much all speed, which professional tackles will neutralize with any amount of scouting. There is a very real chance that he becomes a pass-rush-down only player, which, of course, limits his value in terms of draft position and paycheck. He plays with a great energy but appears to be a finesse linebacker, and that, at the college level, is a dangerous sign for what Sundays might be.

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: Often times when you see holes in a player's game, you are reminded that he has plenty of time to develop at the next level with some coaching and weight training. I readily concede that seeing projections is a very difficult skill in draft evaluation and I have missed on this type of player before. But, given his age, and that much of the development of a player happens between 20-23, I am pessimistic Floyd becomes a complete weapon at the next level.

He is not a scheme fit in Dallas, as I have no idea where someone would play him in a 4-3. In a 3-4, he could perhaps get consistent QB pressure, and if he does he will have a job for years to come. But, I would prefer some other team makes Floyd their project. He has absolutely freakish talents and a very impressive highlight tape, but there is too much "unknown" in his game.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's Draft Profile Series: Vernon Butler May Be the Best Defensive Line Prospect In The Entire Deep Group[/h]

Vernon Butler, DT, La Tech - 6'3, 323 - Senior - #9

Now that we are about 3 months into this process and have covered almost all of the names that are continuously mentioned in the 2016 Draft, it is wonderful to stumble upon a prospect who is considerably better than I first thought. There is no question that the big school guys get the first wave of excitement, but anyone who has followed this draft season knows that there is an uncommon level of quality at Louisiana Tech this year.

We have covered the Running Back Kenneth Dixon and we will get to the Quarterback Jeff Driskel before we run out of time. But today, let's study a guy who will be selected before either one of them and simply add another top quality stud to the list of defensive tackles who populate the Top 50 in this draft. This is the case of big Vernon Butler, a massive DT who seems capable of playing anywhere you want up and down the defensive line and despite weighing in at 323, he still possesses initial quickness and strength that makes him rather unstoppable in the middle of the line.

On top of all of these fine characteristics, La Tech played enough top level competition that we were able to view him against Mississippi State, Kansas State, and a few other big programs and big OL prospects over his 4 years in schools - as well as his Senior Bowl week - to feel great that he is not just whipping minnows. He is handling the big boys at the big schools, too.

What I liked: He is just such a terror up front and has no real issues with any part of his skill set. First, he is powerful and this means that any guard or center on the inside is overmatched with his push. He collapses the pocket or ruins running plays with great regularity. Next, he has uncommonly long arms for this position and body size so now when he gets the arms extended, there is no way to neutralize his leverage and before long the OL is on roller skates right back into the lap of the QB. Then, he has this quickness burst that powers him past guys with an initial move in one direction, and finally, he has technique where it appears he offers an array of moves to free himself. He must be double teamed or he will ruin your game and on top of all of this, he seems pretty emotional and into the proceedings which isn't always clear and obvious when you are talking about the big guys in the middle. In short, I really like this player.

What I did not like: I am not sure I can come up with much. I guess, you would say that if he is so great, why doesn't he have more than 5 sacks in 3 seasons, but then you watch him play and see that he is in the QBs face constantly and even that issue is mitigated by the idea that DTs are not going to sneak up on a QB. Instead, the QB is in some self-preservation mode so I am not fixating on that issue at all. He was double-teamed so much and this doesn't help his personal stats, but it certainly helps the rest of his team. Other than that? I don't have much negative to offer.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: This is a class with a number of Defensive Tackles that could go in the first round. Some are not going to do much damage in the offensive backfield, but a few - Sheldon Rankins and Vernon Butler - appear to be exactly that type of rare bird that weighs 300+ pounds and can still do damage on the move. These ridiculous athletes remind me of similar studies on Fletcher Cox and Aaron Donald in previous drafts where it was clear to anyone watching their college tape that they were going to be stars at the next level. Now, Rankins is nice, but Butler weighs a full 20 pounds more than the Louisville kid and still may be a better athlete. He is not going to run down any running backs from behind but when it comes to moving in tight spaces and having those "dancing bear" or "war daddy" characteristics that every team dreams of - regardless of scheme or spot - I would offer the clear feelings that Butler is one of the best 15 or so prospects I have looked at in this entire field.

Now, that doesn't mean that the player go there, because there are so many strong DTs in this draft that they all could slide with the deep quality, but if the Cowboys can leave the draft with this player somehow in the late 1st or at their pick in #34, any fan should be thrilled. He has to prove that he can be a real star a the NFL level like those before him, but I don't see too much that will prevent him from being a force on any defensive line.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com

dallen

Senior Tech
Time to bring back this old chestnut: Teh Butler did It!!!!one

Top Bottom