JJT: With Cowboys' season dire, Tony Romo must resist urge to be hero

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
With Cowboys' season dire, Tony Romo must resist urge to be hero

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Tony Romo pulled a football out of his locker Wednesday afternoon and twirled it in his hands as he headed to another meeting.

"I don't think I've ever played in a meaningless football game," the Dallas Cowboys quarterback said with a smirk. "I don't think this is a good time to start.

Tony Romo returns Sunday with the Cowboys at 2-7, and while he believes the team still has an opportunity to put together some wins, he acknowledges there's "very little room for error."
"At no point when you play this game do you envision being 2-7. No one thought we'd be in this position and we are. You just have to accept it, understand where we are. From here, it's about winning one game. Winning this week."

Romo, who has sat out the last seven games because of a broken left collarbone, will return to the Cowboys' lineup Sunday afternoon at the Miami Dolphins.

The situation is dire for the Cowboys, who have lost seven consecutive games since Romo was injured. They trail the New York Giants by 2.5 games in the NFC East standings, and no 2-7 team has ever made the playoffs.

Romo on Tuesday morning sent a tweet to his 260,000 followers that let his teammates and the Cowboys' legion of fans know his thoughts about the last two months of the season.

The tweet, a 20-second clip from the movie "Major League," shows one of the players saying, "Well, then I guess there's only one thing left to do. ... Win the whole f---ing thing."

It has been retweeted more than 32,000 times and liked more than 31,000 times.

It was Romo's way of saying forget about the losses. Follow him, the tweet implied, and he'll take the Cowboys where they want to go no matter how unlikely it looks.

"I don't think anyone in this locker room thinks, by any means, this season is over," Romo said. "They understand and I've conveyed that message to them and I think our coach has."

So much of winning in the NFL is about confidence and total belief in a quarterback's ability to make plays at winning time. Few do it better than Romo, who has 29 game-winning drives and 25 fourth-quarter comebacks on his résumé.

During this wretched losing streak, the Cowboys have lost five games by seven points or fewer, including two in overtime. They've blown four halftime leads and three fourth-quarter leads.

Given the Cowboys' situation, Romo must resist the urge to play hero. His presence alone will lift his teammates.

"Do your job. That's a message we share with our players over and over and over again," coach Jason Garrett said. "Sometimes, when you have a great competitive spirit, you want to do more and that's a good thing for your team.

"You want to have guys like that. At the same time, you have to do what you're supposed to do and Tony really understands that balance."

As one would expect, Romo expects it'll take a series or two to adjust to the speed of the game. He also has spent the last couple of weeks working on the nuances of the position, such as his footwork and ball fakes.

"For me, it's about going out and being yourself and being the quarterback of this team," Romo said. "I don't have to do anything more."

The Cowboys' season is now about making history. Can they be the first team to make the playoffs after starting the season 2-7? The raggedy NFC East -- only the Giants are .500 -- gives them a sliver of hope.

But it's not about focusing on the rest of the schedule. It's about the Cowboys, led by Romo, finding a way to beat the Dolphins.

With Romo returning, we now know the Cowboys have no plans to tank the season in hopes of getting a high pick in the 2016 NFL draft. Their quarterback and coach want to win, no matter the odds.

"It's all hands on deck every minute of every day. We're gonna compete and we're gonna scratch and claw and fight," Garrett said. "It's the foundation of our entire program. That's what we believe in.

"Anybody that's available to play and help us win is going to play and help us win. Certainly, Tony believes in that. That's what he's all about and that's what his career is all about. You only have 16 opportunities each season."

Though the Cowboys are in the midst of their longest losing streak in 26 years, Romo's return has his teammates believing there's a lot of important football games left to be played.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
"Do your job. That's a message we share with our players over and over and over again," coach Jason Garrett said. "Sometimes, when you have a great competitive spirit, you want to do more and that's a good thing for your team.
Guess ginger watched the Belichick NFL special too

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Guess ginger watched the Belichick NFL special too
I notice somewhere along the line he started copying his calling it the "red area" instead of red zone, too.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But I admit I am a little concerned about Tony trying to do too much. He's seen how bad this team has been and we know he thinks he can make all the difference, as shown by that tweet he sent out.

I wouldn't be too shocked if we see a quick give-up on the running game if it stalls a la 2011-2013.

townsend

Banned
But I admit I am a little concerned about Tony trying to do too much. He's seen how bad this team has been and we know he thinks he can make all the difference, as shown by that tweet he sent out.

I wouldn't be too shocked if we see a quick give-up on the running game if it stalls a la 2011-2013.
Likely. I hope he can play some lights out football, because we're going into the second half of the season with mr. Glass as our lead back. Chances are he's going to have a couple games as the all singing all dancing center of the offense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Been a concern of mine since we refused to sign Murray and lean on the run game.

Romo is this offense, but to a certain extent. He's not a guy that has total command of everything and can just will the team to a win.

The rest of the team is not coached well enough or is sound enough for that.

If he does not feel compelled to be "it", he is very very good. And he is excellent in late game, late half situations.

But when he gets a lot put on his shoulders, we have seen a lot of bad mistakes.

That is why a running game is his best friend and idiot Garrett has refused to give it to him but perhaps a couple of seasons during his exposure to him.

He's gonna try to be a hero, that is in his nature.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Been a concern of mine since we refused to sign Murray and lean on the run game.

Romo is this offense, but to a certain extent. He's not a guy that has total command of everything and can just will the team to a win.

The rest of the team is not coached well enough or is sound enough for that.

If he does not feel compelled to be "it", he is very very good. And he is excellent in late game, late half situations.

But when he gets a lot put on his shoulders, we have seen a lot of bad mistakes.

That is why a running game is his best friend and idiot Garrett has refused to give it to him but perhaps a couple of seasons during his exposure to him.

He's gonna try to be a hero, that is in his nature.
If Linehan uses McFadden off tackle and on the perimeter the running game will be a lot more effective. Some of the OL can get to the second level blocking but that asset is wasted if ' MCFadden is sent to the middle because he hesitates there and then gets buried. The middle only opens up if the defense has to be ready for either run or pass from any set plus covering the outside running threat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Linehan uses McFadden off tackle and on the perimeter the running game will be a lot more effective. Some of the OL can get to the second level blocking but that asset is wasted if ' MCFadden is sent to the middle because he hesitates there and then gets buried. The middle only opens up if the defense has to be ready for either run or pass from any set plus covering the outside running threat.
Ah bullshit.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Nothing to be concerned about - the season is over.

If Romo goes out this week or next and tries to do to much and we lose, what difference will that actually make?

Oh noez! We lost our 8th game! We may not make it the Super Bowl!

WGAS

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing to be concerned about - the season is over.

If Romo goes out this week or next and tries to do to much and we lose, what difference will that actually make?

Oh noez! We lost our 8th game! We may not make it the Super Bowl!

WGAS
Pretty much my thought exactly. Time to move past bitching about the RB situation this year. Either Romo pulls a miracle out of his ass or he doesn't. Clearly not much else matters.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Pretty much my thought exactly. Time to move past bitching about the RB situation this year. Either Romo pulls a miracle out of his ass or he doesn't. Clearly not much else matters.
This season is over and it's been over for weeks.

I don't care if Romo turns into Tom Brady for the rest of the year.....we are not going to win 7 straight. We don't have the running game, defense, and certainly not the coaching to win that many games in a row with such a slim margin for error.

And because of that, it really shouldn't make any difference whatsoever what this or that player does going forward. It's not like any negatives are going to have significant consequences on the season.....I mean, how can it?

It's over and fans just need to accept that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I hear the term that the Dallas defense was built to protect a lead. Can someone explain what this is supposed to mean. To me a defense is structured to play toward attaining a 3 and out regardless of the score. I am lost with this term.

townsend

Banned
I hear the term that the Dallas defense was built to protect a lead. Can someone explain what this is supposed to mean. To me a defense is structured to play toward attaining a 3 and out regardless of the score. I am lost with this term.
The best I can understand it is that the defense is undersized and aggressive, built around forcing mistakes in one dimensional offenses. Which is quite a luxury to expect. That being said, the only times we've run up the score, the defense allowed the other team to keep pace and overtake. So whatever the hell this defense was built to do, isn't being done.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The best I can understand it is that the defense is undersized and aggressive, built around forcing mistakes in one dimensional offenses. Which is quite a luxury to expect. That being said, the only times we've run up the score, the defense allowed the other team to keep pace and overtake. So whatever the hell this defense was built to do, isn't being done.
Thank you but I struggle with that mind set for a defensive template. ( Not your explanation) Causing turnovers wouldn't seem to be a pressing need if you had a lead. I also hear the other explanation that the Dallas defense isn't built to come from behind which would also seem to conflict with building a defense to cause turn overs. Causing turn overs would be a much need thing if you were behind. Oh well I will just continue to see what the defense is built to do other than run out of gas in the second half.

townsend

Banned
Thank you but I struggle with that mind set for a defensive template. ( Not your explanation) Causing turnovers wouldn't seem to be a pressing need if you had a lead. I also hear the other explanation that the Dallas defense isn't built to come from behind which would also seem to conflict with building a defense to cause turn overs. Causing turn overs would be a much need thing if you were behind. Oh well I will just continue to see what the defense is built to do other than run out of gas in the second half.
I think a defense that causes turnovers can bury an offense playing from behind. Most blowout wins are characterized by the losing QB pitching a few INTs out of desperation. Turnovers also hand the ball right back to an offense, to bleed the clock and extend the lead. In short this defense was meant to win big, instead it's losing small.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think a defense that causes turnovers can bury an offense playing from behind. Most blowout wins are characterized by the losing QB pitching a few INTs out of desperation. Turnovers also hand the ball right back to an offense, to bleed the clock and extend the lead. In short this defense was meant to win big, instead it's losing small.
Well something must be out of kelter. They start like their hair is on fire and finish like they are made out of wet cement. As for turnovers , we are all waiting. They seem to have the personnel but also appear to lack conditioning to finish. I really don't know what to think of them but maybe someone knows what the overall objective is. I am truly puzzled by their performance fall off as the game progresses.

Top Bottom