Archer: Are signs pointing toward cornerback for Cowboys?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
CB seems like a much riskier pick in the 1st historically. There just aren't that many game changing CBs. Usually 2 or 3 in the league at a time. I think the ways in which the NFL evaluates DBs yield much less predictable success than evaluation of the front 7, who tend to be bigger difference makers anyway.
I tend to agree with this. You always see a bunch of corners in the first round but it certainly seems like a lot of them never live up to expectations. Obviously this happens with a lot of first round picks in general but it certainly seems to happen more so with CBs.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I tend to agree with this. You always see a bunch of corners in the first round but it certainly seems like a lot of them never live up to expectations. Obviously this happens with a lot of first round picks in general but it certainly seems to happen more so with CBs.
Yep. The team needs corner help but not in the first round. They can better serve the corner position by shoring up the pass rush. If this is done average corners look better and above average look super.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dallas has 2 pass rushers. One of which has less than a season under his belt and the other slated to miss most of the season as it stands now. It seems foolish to spend a high draft pick on a corner if the pass rush isnt addressed. What is your solution?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dallas has 2 pass rushers. One of which has less than a season under his belt and the other slated to miss most of the season as it stands now. It seems foolish to spend a high draft pick on a corner if the pass rush isnt addressed. What is your solution?
Crawford is actually a pretty good pass rusher as well. He may have actually gotten the most consistent pressure on our D-line last year. I know he only ended up with 3 sacks but I'd anticipate that number will go up significantly next year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Crawford is actually a pretty good pass rusher as well. He may have actually gotten the most consistent pressure on our D-line last year. I know he only ended up with 3 sacks but I'd anticipate that number will go up significantly next year.
I would like to think you are right but the Green Bay game showed me that Dallas couldn't pass rush a one legged Quarterback. That game convinced me that the priorities of the team should be completely shifted to defensive needs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would like to think you are right but the Green Bay game showed me that Dallas couldn't pass rush a one legged Quarterback. That game convinced me that the priorities of the team should be completely shifted to defensive needs.
He was so hobbled in that game that one of our sacks consisted of Mincey getting off the effing ground to grab him for a strip sack.

Our rush was so sad last season and if we think Hardy coming will save it, think again. It sure as shit isn't going to be solved by some damn CB either.

We need interior pressure more than anything. QBs hate to have their center pushed back into their face.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not trying to say we don't need more pass rushers. We absolutely do. Just saying Crawford is pretty good from the inside. We really need more then one DT capable of getting a pass rush. It worked a lot better when Melton was still playing well while at the same time as Crawford.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He was so hobbled in that game that one of our sacks consisted of Mincey getting off the effing ground to grab him for a strip sack.

Our rush was so sad last season and if we think Hardy coming will save it, think again. It sure as shit isn't going to be solved by some damn CB either.

We need interior pressure more than anything. QBs hate to have their center pushed back into their face.
Yep. So put CB on the lower priority list. The two areas that have critical needs are defensive lineman and RB. If the RB production falls off then the defense will spend too much time on the field. That could spell alot of 4 th quarter collapses.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It's not like this should be completely foreign to Marinelli. I certainly appreciate the chicken salad efforts on the defense, but give him some weapons at all the dline positions, and let the reclamation projects spell the talent to keep them fresh.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. So put CB on the lower priority list. The two areas that have critical needs are defensive lineman and RB. If the RB production falls off then the defense will spend too much time on the field. That could spell alot of 4 th quarter collapses.
RB is a lot like corner in the sense that the line in front of them is way more important. Corners are harder to find but one RB arguably has a bigger impact. So I'd probably say those needs are on a similar level.

townsend

Banned
RB is a lot like corner in the sense that the line in front of them is way more important. Corners are harder to find but one RB arguably has a bigger impact. So I'd probably say those needs are on a similar level.
In a vacuum I'd agree. But since playcalling may skew away from the run if the back doesn't produce above average gains, then I would say the entire offensive philosophy falls on the quality of RB we get.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In a vacuum I'd agree. But since playcalling may skew away from the run if the back doesn't produce above average gains, then I would say the entire offensive philosophy falls on the quality of RB we get.
That's how I see it as well. It's hard to dismiss the fact that virtually with the same personnel they went from an 8-8 team to a 12-4 team by changing the play calling. The team cannot repeat that with an inferior RB.

D

Deuce

You'd think Marinelli would agree. Hell, he still has a Hatcher pic in his office next to his motivational cat poster.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do we assume that? It's not like Murray was the reason why we suddenly ran the ball more. We invested heavily in the O-line. I have no doubt that our team will have faith in this O-line no matter who is running with the ball. Well unless Garrett ever takes back his play calling duties. Then it won't matter who the RB is, it's back to chucking it all day.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Why do we assume that? It's not like Murray was the reason why we suddenly ran the ball more. We invested heavily in the O-line. I have no doubt that our team will have faith in this O-line no matter who is running with the ball. Well unless Garrett ever takes back his play calling duties. Then it won't matter who the RB is, it's back to chucking it all day.
Then why couldn't any other back but Murray get any carries? If they don't trust the running back to be extremely productive, they won't give him the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then why couldn't any other back but Murray get any carries? If they don't trust the running back to be extremely productive, they won't give him the ball.
Because Murray was the best back on the roster and they didn't see the need to use a less talented back? Still has nothing to do with the amount of times we ran the ball.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Tell that to Jiggy. He doesnt think anyone takes that position.

townsend

Banned
Linehan only uses workhorses. Without that he's as pass happy as Garrett. Hell at the end of the season, when Murray was fading, he would rather go empty backfield than put a different back out there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Linehan only uses workhorses. Without that he's as pass happy as Garrett. Hell at the end of the season, when Murray was fading, he would rather go empty backfield than put a different back out there.
That's true. If the OL was in such high esteen he would have put another back in and proceeded with the status quo. Fact is he didn't do that and one can only speculate about the reason but my guess is that he knew even a fatigued Murray wouldbe more effective than any other back in the lineup.

Top Bottom